Surface - "Episode 5" - 10/17

Old 10-17-05, 03:04 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 245 Likes on 185 Posts
Surface - "Episode 5" - 10/17

"Episode 5"
Spoiler:
Animal control officers question good friends Miles and Phil, the keepers of Nimrod, when a neighbor's dog is reported missing.

TVguide is reporting NBC has picked this up for the rest of the season
Old 10-17-05, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Sweet! Go, Nimrod, go!
Old 10-17-05, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Patman
Sweet! Go, Nimrod, go!
Let's hope we get more of the stacked teenager (who's really 22, thank you)
Old 10-17-05, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
won't be able to watch this until tomorrow(hopefully) since Detroit appears to be showing a mayoral debate instead.
Old 10-17-05, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisHicks
won't be able to watch this until tomorrow(hopefully) since Detroit appears to be showing a mayoral debate instead.
Chris,
If you missed the announcement, WDIV (4) is broadcasting Surface at 1:35 am tonight, due to the debate. Heard it at the end of local news.
Old 10-17-05, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

that voice over recap was so bad sounding
he needs to set up a spy cam in his sister's room
Old 10-17-05, 11:37 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

meh episode

Still don't like the crazy guy. Figured it was only a matter of time before they offered her a job.

Anyone else not jumping back in bed and getting under the covers with Nimrod
Old 10-18-05, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 917 Likes on 640 Posts
I think it is good they picked it up for the rest of the season. I hope they can end it decently and not let it go to pot.

My biggest complaint is that there is very little progress in the story from week to week. Even less than lost and in their first season at least they had tons of character development.
Old 10-18-05, 04:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mikehunt
he needs to set up a spy cam in his sister's room
I think he did being a few eps back he had some pics he used as his trump card as far as forcing the sister to not talk about the pet...

as for this ep, it was ok.. Like the EMP pulse idea as far as why we have no pics of it so far.. My only real issue with his ep is the fake out "tease" they are doing in the previews..

Never have liked the idea of shows taking 3 weeks worth of eps then making the preview for next week be 50% next weeks ep and then 50% 2 eps past that.. lame..

for example in this ep we saw the pool break.. Something they have been showing for weeks now in previews. Yeah, that's not a big plot point or anything but I just think it's a cheesy way to make previews..
Old 10-18-05, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
looks like they gotta formula going.

Travel to area where big critter is.
Nimrod behaves badly.
See Big Critter.
Nimrod gets moved.
Big final hook for next week.

Still very enjoyable show. As someone already mentioned, it was obvious that they were going to offer her a job <rolls eyes>.

Now if they show Nimrod eating a baby or a dwarf, then I will be impressed. Although I really didn't expect the dog to die, thats not typical for TV.
Old 10-18-05, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Poor lil' Nim, got shot with a nail gun, self-inflicted too.

The horror for Savannah having to not move while that nasty pool water flowed past her was funny.
Old 10-18-05, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by 12thmonkey
Let's hope we get more of the stacked teenager (who's really 22, thank you)
Actually I kind of think the mom has got in goin on. She looked pretty good walking around in that grocery store.

Maybe it's the time slot but this show is turning more kid friendly every episode. Kids rushing out of the house, taking off on their bikes...like I am watching scenes chopped from ET, The Goonies, and Close Encounters and some crappy after school special.

And this is like the third week now where almost nothing really happens. Despite how much I wanted to like this show and hoped to be drawn in
I am rapidly losing interest and am close to dropping it.
Old 10-18-05, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Phil L.
Actually I kind of think the mom has got in goin on. She looked pretty good walking around in that grocery store.
Yes, I had the same unclean thoughts as well.

this show is turning more kid friendly every episode.
I could use a little less wacky Nimrod stuff, but I think it's part of the intended mass appeal to lure in a wider range of viewers.

And this is like the third week now where almost nothing really happens. Despite how much I wanted to like this show and hoped to be drawn in
I am rapidly losing interest and am close to dropping it.
Even with nothing really happening, I still sort of like this show, in a dopey, one-dimensional kind of way. I'll keep watching, and now that I've bailed on Invasion and Threshold, I almost find myself looking forward to it.
Old 10-18-05, 01:24 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by 12thmonkey
I could use a little less wacky Nimrod stuff, but I think it's part of the intended mass appeal to lure in a wider range of viewers.
Yep, I read an interview with the producers who said they wanted to appeal to as many people as possible. That's why it's in "the family hour"
Old 10-18-05, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone know if this is going to replay this week on SciFi? My guide doesn't have it listed, and I am going to be pretty pissed if I miss an episode.
Old 10-18-05, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Quake1028
Anyone know if this is going to replay this week on SciFi? My guide doesn't have it listed, and I am going to be pretty pissed if I miss an episode.
It's not listed on their site.

If it means anything, you didn't miss all that much

Key points from this ep:
Spoiler:

Nimrod escaped, caused all sorts of wacky havoc (hiding under a pile of peanuts, destroying a lobster tank) in a grocery store, and after thought to be gone for good, returned to Miles to snuggle under the covers as the ep ended.

Gratuitous bikini shots of hot sister

Laura and Rich end up joining forces, and trail the GPS-tagged creature as it breaches somewhere near a crowded pier off the California coast. Despite all the cameras recording the event, the creature "pulses" and erases all images and video.

Rich's wife is pissed her husband is racing across country with another woman

Laura is recruited by Dr. Sirko to join the team.

Miles' mom is suspicious of her son, especially after getting a phone call from hot, busty teen's mom about the missing dog gobbled in the previous episode.

The pool Nimrod was living is destroyed as it escaped the clutches of a clueless animal control officer.

I think that's the highlights.
Anyone else feel free to add what I may have missed....

Last edited by Pointyskull; 10-18-05 at 02:01 PM.
Old 10-18-05, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 708 Likes on 516 Posts
Spoiler:
So the coast guard confront the creature to try and turn it back towards the ocean and it lets off the EMP...

BUT THEN WHAT? Next thing you know it's nighttime and these people are just hanging around? Where the heck did it go? And I can't believe that anyone there would buy the whole "ran into an underwater powerline" explanation when the Coast Guard clearly state that it's a creture.

I need to know dammit!
Old 10-18-05, 04:14 PM

would an emp mess up footage from a camcorder that was filming on tape?
Old 10-18-05, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Tape is magnetic. Now if someone were using actual film, then I would expect it to survive the EMP.
Old 10-18-05, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The other thing that kind of got to me was when the marine biologist lady and crazy guy (can't even remember their character names) were being grabbed by the cops and the feds and she gets pulled aside by scientist guy while he still gets dragged away by the cops. She apparently forgets all about him and does nothing at all to help him.
He drives them all the way there (like a maniac) and she doesn't even try to get any of the feds to get him loose from the cops. Thanks a bunch lady.
Old 10-18-05, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Alright, unless I am missing something, when did a Piggly Wiggly become some upscale pet shop where you can buy an aquarium that in all reality would cost easily a couple grand. An aquarium like that is a custom job and not something I would go to the local grocery store and buy with my loaf of bread and some milk. Sure I am splitting hairs but it is something that did not make sense at all to me. Now that is real science fiction that cannot be explained.
Old 10-18-05, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The other thing that kind of got to me was when the marine biologist lady and crazy guy (can't even remember their character names) were being grabbed by the cops and the feds and she gets pulled aside by scientist guy while he still gets dragged away by the cops. She apparently forgets all about him and does nothing at all to help him.
He drives them all the way there (like a maniac) and she doesn't even try to get any of the feds to get him loose from the cops. Thanks a bunch lady.
Yeah, I thought that was funny too. I was glad that they paired the crazy guy back up with Daughtery, since I only liked him when they met up that one time. Now that she is getting drawn into the government conspiracy, she'll probably drop him now and maybe he will seek out Miles his chatrom buddy again. I like the idea of these characters interacting and sharing knowledge, since they all have different experiences with the creature.
Old 10-18-05, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Schloob1
Alright, unless I am missing something, when did a Piggly Wiggly become some upscale pet shop where you can buy an aquarium that in all reality would cost easily a couple grand. An aquarium like that is a custom job and not something I would go to the local grocery store and buy with my loaf of bread and some milk. Sure I am splitting hairs but it is something that did not make sense at all to me. Now that is real science fiction that cannot be explained.
The clerk said "We don't sell aquariums" and she said "You had a special last week"-- which was dumb since wasn't the aquarium broke in the pilot episode? I am pretty sure more than a week has gone by since then, especially since all the other characters are referencing things that happened months ago. I guess they had to have her return the aquarium in order to realize that Miles did have a pet but it was clunky storytelling.

I do like this show and I think it is much more interesting than Threshold and Invasion, which I have finally stopped watching.

I can't see this show running into multiple seasons but I think it is a fun idea for a one season show, kind of like a maxi mini-series.
Old 10-19-05, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MrX
meh episode

Still don't like the crazy guy. Figured it was only a matter of time before they offered her a job.

Anyone else not jumping back in bed and getting under the covers with Nimrod
I agree on all counts

The guy trying to convince people he isn't crazy is obnoxious. A lot of this episode ended up as time filler by the end of it:
Nimrod escapes, only to come back without any real consequences.
A couple dozen people witness a giant sea monster only to have it zap all of their cameras.
Crazy guy reunites with marine biologist lady only to get split up again, and have him surrounded with more people who think he's crazy.
Old 10-20-05, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Schloob1
That's a good point. I could see the Pig maybe selling some little 15 gal. aquarium-in-a-box starter set as a special before Christmas or something, but not a huge salt water set up that as you say looked like a major custom job.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.