Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 10-11-05, 02:44 PM   #1
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Gilmore Girls - "We've Got Magic to Do" - 10/11/05

"We've Got Magic to Do"
Spoiler:
Richard confronts Logan's father and Emily argues with Logan's mother during the big DAR bash thrown in Emily's honor.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

My Countdown Counting down to: Summer Vacation
Old 10-11-05, 09:20 PM   #2
movieking
DVD Talk Legend

Can someone post the preview for next week, spoilerized? My PVR cut it off.
Old 10-11-05, 11:18 PM   #3
Jadzia

I had to watch the bleed-over on my Supernatural recording but from what I could piece together:

Spoiler:
They showed Rory telling Logan "I love you" and he said "You love me?" and then they showed Richard saying something like "They are too young to consider marriage". Then the voice-over said something about "A secret will be revealed" and they showed Richard showing up at Lorelai's door to tell her something.
Old 10-11-05, 11:46 PM   #4
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Emily telling Logan's mom off was awesome

The dinner at Sookie's reminded me of the SNL skit with Will Ferrell "Get off the shed"

Also liked Paris's rant about no money and talking about herself at the bank screaming "Atica".

From the preview it looks like
Spoiler:
Emily walks in on Logan and Rory in bed together

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

My Countdown Counting down to: Summer Vacation
Old 10-12-05, 06:49 AM   #5
movieking
DVD Talk Legend

The Will Ferrell skit was the first thing that I thought about as well during that ridiculous dinner scene.

As for the spoilers:

Spoiler:
Rory and Logan are definitely caught in bed together. I read that spoiler a while ago, and am surprised it hasn't happened yet
Old 10-12-05, 10:01 AM   #6
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

Best episode of the season so far.

Paris was hilarious with her ranting about the subjugation of the working class.

Loved Emily's calm cool attack against Mrs. Huntsberger.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 10-12-05, 04:21 PM   #7
her34

what was the expression on richard gilmore's face suppose to mean at the end when he saw rory on stage?
Old 10-12-05, 04:29 PM   #8
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by her34
what was the expression on richard gilmore's face suppose to mean at the end when he saw rory on stage?
I was wondering the same thing. My only guess is that he realizes Logan's dad has potentially doomed Rory to a life of being a DAR woman when she is capable of much more.

A good episode. Moved a lot of things forward for Rory after several Lorelai-heavy episodes, but still managed to fit in good stuff for Lorelai and Luke. I loved the reactions at the Miss Patty show, especially their thoughts on the kids interacting with the audience. Sookie:"This is uncomfortable!"
Old 10-12-05, 04:57 PM   #9
Jadzia

Quote:
Originally Posted by her34
I took that look to mean "My wonderful perfect granddaughter-- how sad that someone could hurt her and crush her dreams like that."

It ties in with earlier how he was bragging to Emily that Rory can do anything she tries. Which, I wondered, was he even in Rory's life to know that she knew all the state capitals by age 3, etc.? He was rattling off all her accomplishments and wondered how he would know that since I thought they had no contact with Rory while she was growing up.
Old 10-12-05, 06:23 PM   #10
Mr. Salty
DVD Talk Legend

The funniest thing about the dinner scene to me was after all of Jackson's yelling at his son to turn the TV down, the camera pans over to the livingroom to reveal a toddler who is clearly too young to understand or to even be able to walk over to the TV and turn it down.
Old 10-13-05, 10:32 AM   #11
bboisvert
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadzia
I took that look to mean "My wonderful perfect granddaughter-- how sad that someone could hurt her and crush her dreams like that."

It ties in with earlier how he was bragging to Emily that Rory can do anything she tries.
I took it the same way as DRG...

... he's looking at Rory and realizing that she has so much potential for greatness, but that by encouraging her to "find herself" and leave Yale at the end of Season 4, he's setting her up to be nothing more than one of the DAR ladies. He's regretting his own actions, his doubts about Lorelai's story, etc.

Great episode, by the way. I thought it was the best one so far this season.
Old 10-13-05, 11:37 AM   #12
Jadzia

Yeah, I also thought he was realizing that he was wrong (and that Lorelai was right) about Rory.
Old 10-13-05, 01:25 PM   #13
Lokimok
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadzia
It ties in with earlier how he was bragging to Emily that Rory can do anything she tries. Which, I wondered, was he even in Rory's life to know that she knew all the state capitals by age 3, etc.? He was rattling off all her accomplishments and wondered how he would know that since I thought they had no contact with Rory while she was growing up.
On the very first Friday Night Dinner, Emily has a good line about how nice it is to see them on a day when the banks are open. So I guess they did make appearances 2 or 3 times a year at certain holidays. Maybe Rory's knowledge & achievements were sort of used as party tricks to take the focus off of Lorelai on those occasions.

I liked the episode more than I expected & I've really been appreciating Sookie the last 2 weeks. She owned last week's show. She had great lines with perfect delivery. "Uncle Artie hugged me too long" & something about cracking a window for her mother-in-law are 2 that I remember.

Kirk's theater piece may have topped his short film from a couple of seasons ago.
Old 10-13-05, 02:28 PM   #14
Tracer Bullet
DVD Talk Legend

Is it a coincidence that the best episode of the season did not feature an appearance by Trist- I mean, Logan or his friends? Hmmm....
Old 10-13-05, 02:46 PM   #15
Patman
DVD Talk Hero

Wasn't Logan in this episode via a cell phone call between him and Rory?

I thought last week's episode was better than this week's episode.

I couldn't figure out if I was supposed to pity Luke's "oh so lonesome" camping trip, or that he finds that he can't function without being near Lorelai now.
Old 10-14-05, 01:55 AM   #16
uhftv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
The funniest thing about the dinner scene to me was after all of Jackson's yelling at his son to turn the TV down, the camera pans over to the livingroom to reveal a toddler who is clearly too young to understand or to even be able to walk over to the TV and turn it down.

There was a nice piece at the dinner scene that no one's mentioned yet where they are commenting on the glut of 'forensic' shows on tv. Emily made a similar comment a couple of seasons ago. I think it was the flashback episode:

Emily: I donít watch that much television. I donít find forensic work quite as fascinating as the rest of the world.

At the recital before Kirk was performing didnt Miss Patty say she taught him as a kid and that he was doing something similar to what he did before? But in the first season Kirk didnt know who she was. Maybe I misheard what she said.
Old 10-14-05, 03:01 AM   #17
Jeremy517
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhftv
At the recital before Kirk was performing didnt Miss Patty say she taught him as a kid and that he was doing something similar to what he did before? But in the first season Kirk didnt know who she was. Maybe I misheard what she said.
If you're looking for continuity errors involving Kirk, in the second episode of season one, the guy who now plays Kirk was actually playing a guy named Mick
Old 10-14-05, 04:11 AM   #18
SPiRAL
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Is it me, or does Rory look better than Lorelai this season ? I guess it's the bangs.
Old 10-14-05, 04:36 AM   #19
dolphinboy
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPiRAL
Is it me, or does Rory look better than Lorelai this season ? I guess it's the bangs.
Rory looked better than Lorelai in season 1; it just wasn't appropriate to say so.

"At first, I did not know it was your diary. I thought it was a very sad, handwritten book."
Old 10-14-05, 04:38 AM   #20
dolphinboy
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy517
If you're looking for continuity errors involving Kirk, in the second episode of season one, the guy who now plays Kirk was actually playing a guy named Mick
No, that was nother one of Kirk's quirky jobs; playing a guy named Mick.

"At first, I did not know it was your diary. I thought it was a very sad, handwritten book."
Old 10-14-05, 10:36 PM   #21
garmonbozia
DVD Talk Limited Edition

does anyone know from what musical or from where else the song "We've Got Magic to Do" is from? My knowledge of musicals is rather limited, although I know I have heard that song before, and I just can't place it and it is driving me nuts.
"Little moments like that prove to me that there is some kind of all-powerful, all-knowing force that controls everything in the universe. And it's so fucking bored, it'll actually take time out to orchestrate a petty letdown like that." -- Georgia Lass
Old 10-14-05, 10:40 PM   #22
garmonbozia
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokimok
On the very first Friday Night Dinner, Emily has a good line about how nice it is to see them on a day when the banks are open. So I guess they did make appearances 2 or 3 times a year at certain holidays. Maybe Rory's knowledge & achievements were sort of used as party tricks to take the focus off of Lorelai on those occasions.
These were my thoughts as well. I just rewatched season 1 on dvd this past week (thanks to the WB tv dvd sets sale) and Emily's reaction and comments about Lorelai showing up out of the blue is fresh in my mind. It seems to me that they were present in each other's lives at formal events.... just not in any real emotional way. Emily and Richard had never been to their house in Stars Hollow until Rory's birthday in Season 1, but it is suggested that Rory and Lorelai had been to their house a few times a year for the major holidays. The whole party tricks thing would make perfect sense.
"Little moments like that prove to me that there is some kind of all-powerful, all-knowing force that controls everything in the universe. And it's so fucking bored, it'll actually take time out to orchestrate a petty letdown like that." -- Georgia Lass
Old 10-15-05, 01:05 AM   #23
uhftv

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmonbozia
does anyone know from what musical or from where else the song "We've Got Magic to Do" is from? My knowledge of musicals is rather limited, although I know I have heard that song before, and I just can't place it and it is driving me nuts.

I think it's from Pippin.
Old 10-15-05, 09:11 PM   #24
garmonbozia
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhftv
I think it's from Pippin.

aha, thanks. that sounds right. i saw a neighboring high school perform that when i was in high school which would explain why it was familiar to me.