TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Threshold -- "Pulse" -- 10/14/05

Old 10-14-05, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Threshold -- "Pulse" -- 10/14/05

"Pulse"
Spoiler:
A Miami DJ becomes infected with the signal and begins incorporating it into her music; Molly and the team must find her before she spreads it to her audience.

Cast: Carla Gugino, Charles S. Dutton, Brian van Holt, Robert Patrick Benedict, Brent Spiner, Peter Dinklage, Amanda Fuller, Kevin Alejandro, Gonzalo Menendez, Lahmard Tate, Rob Swanson, Adam Chambers, Paula Miranda , Michael Bentt, Irina Maleeva, Ewan Chung , Erin Cummings.
Director(s): Bill Norton.
Producer(s): Brannon Braga, David Heyman, David Goyer.
Writer(s): Mike Sussman.

Original Airdate: October 14, 2005.
Old 10-14-05, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

They EMP a 60 mile radius area around Miami and destroy all electronics and they think people will buy the story of it being a solar flare.
God this show sucks. If it wasn't for Brent Spiner being in it, and nothing else being on I wouldn't watch
Old 10-14-05, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mikehunt

If it wasn't for Peter Dinklage being in it, and nothing else being on I wouldn't
watch
FIXED
Old 10-14-05, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Someone on the Threshold "writing" staff has been watching "The Matrix" one too many times.
Old 10-14-05, 11:09 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 242 Likes on 183 Posts
I recorded it and figured I'd check to see if it was worth watching, guess not

I think I'm done with it
Old 10-14-05, 11:11 PM
Mod Emeritus

Show is way too episodic. Started kinda cool, now it's bad.
Old 10-15-05, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Beside all the ridiculous bullshit already mentioned from this episode, here's another one... This magic alien audio signal can travel over telephone lines now? Really one of the most idiotic examples of sci-fi tv writing I've seen in a while. Standard telephone lines have a very limited range of audio frequency it will pick up, limited to basically that of the human voice. This is also the reason we all capped out at 56k over dial-up. Here's a wonderful explanation from HowStuffWorks.com

In order to allow more long-distance calls to be transmitted, the frequencies transmitted are limited to a bandwidth of about 3,000 hertz. All of the frequencies in your voice below 400 hertz and above 3,400 hertz are eliminated. That's why someone's voice on a phone has a distinctive sound.
The pilot for this show was pretty good. Ever since then, it's been extremely bad. But at least they haven't been doing absolutely idiotic things like this with technology like they did in this episode, making it utterly unbelievable to anyone with a brain. They've made this signal out to be something a combination of sounds at very odd frequencies which, while kind of ridiculous alone, I can suspend disbelief for that. But now that the signal can travel over the phone and be recorded on an answering machine? Let alone the fact that the best idea the brother had when he witnessed a UFO was to call his sister? Oh, and language dude can crack 128-bit encryption in a minute? Ooh, let's get firewalls and anti-virus programs to stop the alien signal from spreading!!!

Then the EMP insanity? How many thousands hooked up to life support died, how many billions would it cost? Good lord, just the idea of a show actually thinking that an EMP detonated in a US city... I can't even put into words how absurd it is, and how high the writing staff must have been when they came up with this episode.

It's really, really a shame. The pilot was extremely good, and I was sure this was going to be one of my favorite shows of the season. But instead of focusing on the hunt for the missing crew members, which seem to have been completely forgotten, we're just going on unbelievable far-out one-shot story after another. The way the pilot was set up, going from that to every single episode since being so oriented to episodic as Gallant said... Every aspect of this show is disappointing after such a promising start.

Knowing Braga was attached to this dren, I should have known better than to give the show a shot. A shame Gugino is wasted on this garbage. At least this episode was bad enough that nothing is going to get me to waste another 44 minutes on this show.

Last edited by coladar; 10-15-05 at 06:27 AM.
Old 10-15-05, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
the signal coming directly from the probe I can understand affecting people since the probe could also be sending some sort of non sound energy, or a subspace signal or something
but a recording of having the effect too is super lame
Old 10-15-05, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Somebody needs to tie up Braga and force him to watch the first two seasons of Battlestar Galactica. Then all five seasons of B5. Finish it off with Farscape. Maybe he'll learn a few things about SF.
Old 10-15-05, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 193 Likes on 158 Posts
But I can't stop watching Carla...
Old 10-15-05, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by invisiblegt
FIXED
if he the drawf? he's pretty good too