Reload this Page >

Alias - Should I just give up now??

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 04-21-05, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Let me preface this post by saying that I have not watched a dramatic tv series on a regular basis in nearly 20 years (St. Elsewhere was the last).

Last fall when Circuit City mispriced the Alias Season Three set for $11.99, I picked up a copy. Figured it would be good for a trade somewhere along the line. Then I stumbled across episode one of the first season. In one episode, I was hooked.

Over a couple of months, I watched the entire first season and loved it. Loved how it played like a Philip K. Dick espionage tale, with someone stuck in the middle of a life they didn't understand and with an ever-shifting perspective of how they fit in to the greater picture.

Over the past week, I have seen 16 episodes of season two. Started out even better than season one, but then last night I saw episode 13: "Phase One." The show not only seemed to jump the shark in a single episode, it seemed to jump the entirety of SeaWorld. The things that made the show so great: how Sydney seemed to be ever lost in her own family dynamic, her constantly changing view of loyalty, the very interplay between the show's actors...they all seemed to be chucked out the door. I watched the next three episodes back to back to make sure it wasn't a fluke. It wasn't. It had gone from this great twisted character-driven show to a slightly off-key plot-driven show. The gimmicky guest appearances were getting tiring. The dialogue less and less believable. And the only thing that really held my interest was in the Dixon storyline.

So here I sit...with six episodes left to the season.

The question is: are they worth following through on, or will the disappointment continue to grow? Is something of the old dynamic regained or is it forever chucked out the door? And should I even give consideration to Season Three?

Please no spoilers. I'm guessing I will eventually finish it. It just a question of when.
Old 04-21-05, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't answer your question without something of a minor spoiler, sorry. If there's anything to take away from Alias: if you don't like a reboot---just wait. As for that episode, I think the time came when things needed to change. There was only so many episodes they could do under the "will Sid get caught?" format. If you didn't like it after "Phase One", I doubt much will change in your opinion as you proceed.

As a side note, The Futon Critic rated "Phase One" the fourth best episode of any TV show in 2003.
Old 04-21-05, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't remember the specific episode, but I gave up watching partway through season 2 as well. Didn't watch any of season 3, which I heard was pretty bad in general. I started watching again this current season, but am on the brink of giving it up again. So while I don't have a specific recommendation for you, I will say that I don't think the show ever regained the "magic" it had at the beginning. It just got lost along the way.
Old 04-21-05, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Season three wasnt as good as the first two seasons but it wasnt that bad. The first part of this season is worse but it is getting better.
Old 04-21-05, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ask yourself this - what else have you got to do?
Old 04-21-05, 12:18 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I can kind of see this from the same point-of-view you are. I started watching this season, then realized I didn't know what they were talking about half of the time, so I got season 1, 2, and 3. I just finished up S2 yesterday. I too feel that after SD-6 was abrubtly ended, the show went down a notch. But I had no intention of quitting watching. It was still far better than most shows on now.

The rest of S2 isn't that great, but it builds towards a great finally that ends with a cliffhanger. It was to me anyways. Of course I let a friend borrow S3 which I haven't seen yet, and now I'm dying to get it back and see just WTF the end of S2 was all about.

So, in short, at least finish S2. That will force you to watch at least part of S3, I'm guessing.
Old 04-21-05, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I guess my main issue is whether or not the show becomes character driven or becomes a slave to plot mechanics. Twists and turns are fun, but eventually become tired. Its the building and development of character which will keep it interesting for me.

As long as character becomes the driving point of the show again, I'll have interest. If not, I'll probably just end the season and leave it at that (which I know is easier said than done).
Old 04-21-05, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As much as it pains me to say so (since I LOVED Alias Season 1 + 2), you might as well stop now. While I actually liked the episode that you hated -- I thought it was a great, balsy move to 'reboot' the show like that -- the truth is that it all goes downhill after S2.

I still enjoyed the rest of Season 2, and it has one of the best cliffhangers in the history of the modern world. But Season 3 pretty much sucks... and the current Season 4 isn't much better. It's watchable, occasionally fun, sometimes funny... but the writing drops off the map after S2. They know longer seem to care about the characters at all, and the show focuses almost exclusively on silly plot twists and McGuffins.
Old 04-21-05, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Long and short - the reboot had to happen. There was only so much the character could do without getting caught (how many times can she borderline fail or pass dupes from missions?). Suffice it to say that the ending of S2 DOES INDEED have a HUGELY cool cliffhanger (you will be glad you have S3 to tear right into!).

Also some great unresolved storylines/characters from S1 do indeed return. Honestly I had rewatched S1-S3 multiple times. I'd say keep on trucking. This show has pretty frequent reboots and elements that turn everything you think you know on its ear.
Old 04-21-05, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by rfduncan
Long and short - the reboot had to happen. There was only so much the character could do without getting caught (how many times can she borderline fail or pass dupes from missions?). Suffice it to say that the ending of S2 DOES INDEED have a HUGELY cool cliffhanger (you will be glad you have S3 to tear right into!).

Also some great unresolved storylines/characters from S1 do indeed return. Honestly I had rewatched S1-S3 multiple times. I'd say keep on trucking. This show has pretty frequent reboots and elements that turn everything you think you know on its ear.
Don't get me wrong. I agree that the reboot had to happen. I just question the manner in which it happened (sacrificing character for plot).

At the end of the reboot episode, Sydney was effectively no longer leading a double life.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
With Francie killed off and Will in the know and now working for the CIA, there was no one to hide her true job from. No more issues with Dad. Mom mostly forgotten.

It just seems that all levels of character complexity were jettisoned out the window. The end result seems to be dramatic inertia. Might as well at that point have changed the title of the show from "Alias" to "Sydney Bristow, C.I.A."

Like I said, I will finish the season. I like the ever changing role of Sloane. I just hope some of that complexity in Sydney's personal life returns.
Old 04-21-05, 02:46 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

alias is by far the fastest paced show on tv which makes it still watchable. but by taking sydney out of the normal world they have made her just another secret agent. sydney is less interesting as she is surrounded by spies and really no one human. the relationship with her father is still intriguing at times but overall less interesting.

Last edited by sabre; 04-21-05 at 02:48 PM.
Old 04-21-05, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 333 Likes on 218 Posts
Alias lost its charm for me after Sydney
Spoiler:
quit leading a double life around her friends
. I stuck through about half of season 4, but eventually just gave up. I've heard it's gotten a little better lately though.
Old 04-21-05, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by sabre
alias is by far the fastest paced show on tv which makes it still watchable.
I think that title belongs to "24." Even when it's bad, it goes faster than Alias and is more exciting most of the time.
Old 04-21-05, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts
I loved season 1
I liked season 2
I thought season 3 was okay
I gave up after the first episode of season 4
Old 04-21-05, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

24 when bad, is hysterically bad and borderline inept. Personally, I don't find 24 nearly as exciting. It's certainly faster paced, however, there's very little suspense IMO considering that shows tendancy to telegraph future actions and continuously trot out recycled plots from previous seasons. Alias, even when it dissappoints, and granted, there's no question there's been a drop in quality since Season 2, is still at heart, an entertaining character driven show.

Last edited by meritocracy; 04-21-05 at 05:54 PM.
Old 04-21-05, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by TheAllPurposeNothing
Spoiler:
With Francie killed off and Will in the know and now working for the CIA, there was no one to hide her true job from. No more issues with Dad. Mom mostly forgotten.

Like I said, I will finish the season. I like the ever changing role of Sloane. I just hope some of that complexity in Sydney's personal life returns.
At least watch throught the end of S2 - or at least until "Truth Takes Time"!
Old 04-21-05, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by slop101
I loved season 1
I liked season 2
I thought season 3 was okay
I gave up after the first episode of season 4
Sort of the same story here....
Loved Season 1
Loved Season 2...until the first reboot...struggled through the end of season 2.
Watched most of Season 3 out of obligation...i wanted it to get better, I really did.
Season 4...watched the first episode and realized I was spending an hour watching a show I no longer even cared about.

If you're unsure of it after Phase One....I don't think you'll get that loving feeling back (cause I didn't).
Old 04-21-05, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I hated the reboot and didn't think it HAD to happen. They could have kept her a double agent forever. Some people are double agents all their life. Why end that storyline so abruptly? It was rediculous. The show has never been the same. It's not the worst show out there, but it dropped a lot of notches. Lost will be the next show to do that.
Old 04-21-05, 08:41 PM
Suspended

I'm just curious...for those of you who don't watch Alias anymore (and those who are already growing sick of Lost) - what action/drama shows do you watch that are better? I'm with everyone else, this season of Alias isn't near as good as 1 and 2, but I still think it's better than pretty much anything else from an entertainment standpoint. 24 has fallen off a ton, I still like it. Maybe you just watch movies? Just curious.
Old 04-21-05, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I still watch Alias, but not with a lot of gusto. I like this season of 24, but I thought season 3 was horrible. I won't give any spoilers about Lost, because who knows if the rumors are true, but from what I've heard, I'm not excited. It's been a great series so far though.
Old 04-21-05, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by aktick
I'm just curious...for those of you who don't watch Alias anymore (and those who are already growing sick of Lost) - what action/drama shows do you watch that are better?
How many action/adventure shows are there even on the air? This question kind of took me off guard a little because I would have never thought to compare shows by genre.

I tend to look at shows in terms of good (great character, stories, writing) or bad. When I say I don't enjoy Alias, I'm saying I don't think its as good as House, Law and Order: SVU, Veronica Mars, or Gilmore Girls. Though I do make the distinction between hour longs and 30 minute jobbers, but using the same criteria.
Old 04-21-05, 11:02 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by clemente
How many action/adventure shows are there even on the air? This question kind of took me off guard a little because I would have never thought to compare shows by genre.

I tend to look at shows in terms of good (great character, stories, writing) or bad. When I say I don't enjoy Alias, I'm saying I don't think its as good as House, Law and Order: SVU, Veronica Mars, or Gilmore Girls. Though I do make the distinction between hour longs and 30 minute jobbers, but using the same criteria.
Good point...I guess I look at shows the same way, and didn't really mean just action/drama. For entertainment purposes in general, Alias is right near the top for me. It's a personal preference I guess. I like to have my mind fucked with, and it still does a decent job of it.
Old 04-22-05, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 193 Likes on 158 Posts
If anything - there is always one reason to watch this show = Jack Bristow.
Old 04-22-05, 09:00 AM

I'm just curious...for those of you who don't watch Alias anymore (and those who are already growing sick of Lost) - what action/drama shows do you watch that are better? I'm with everyone else, this season of Alias isn't near as good as 1 and 2, but I still think it's better than pretty much anything else from an entertainment standpoint. 24 has fallen off a ton, I still like it. Maybe you just watch movies? Just curious.

I'm not sick of Lost yeat, but I gave up on Alias after the Season 2 finale, which to me, was simply a way to back themselves out of a corner and a *really* forced way to add conflict to the show.

In terms of action/drama, Alias from a quality standpoint isn't in the same league as The Shield or The Sopranos. I think Lost is doing just fine now.
The only other dramas I currently watch are House (imo, more of a dramedy), 24, and Nip/Tuck.

-Paul Jacobi-
Old 04-22-05, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts
I'm just curious... - what action/drama shows do you watch that are better? I'm with everyone else, this season of Alias isn't near as good as 1 and 2, but I still think it's better than pretty much anything else from an entertainment standpoint. Just curious.
The Shield is far more exciting, believable and not nearly as repetitive, they even sort of "rebooted" themselves this season without losing anything - it's actually gotten better.
And then, of course, there are the HBO shows like Deadwood, The Wire and Carnivale - they're not as fast-paced or exciting, but they're every bit as great, and they shit all over Alias and 24.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.