Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 04-17-05, 07:20 PM   #1
B.A.
DVD Talk Hero

Grey's Anatomy - 04/17/05

"No Man's Land"

Spoiler:
Cristina's encounter with a former nurse, now a patient at Seattle Grace, changes her forever.

Cast: Ellen Pompeo, Patrick Dempsey, Sandra Oh, Isaiah Washington, Katherine Heigl, Justin Chambers, T.R. Knight, Chandra Wilson, James Pickens, Anna Maria Horsford, F.J. Rio, Rick Humphrey, Valerie Cruz.
Director(s): Adam Davidson.
Producer(s): Shonda Rhimes, Mark Gordon, Betsy Beers, Jim Parriott.
Writer(s): Jim Parriott.

Original Airdate: April 17, 2005.
Old 04-17-05, 10:14 PM   #2
B.A.
DVD Talk Hero

Katherine Heigl is absolutely stunning.

I liked the moment between Meredith and Nurse Fallon when they were laughing about her bitch of a mother. Her mother doesn't remember her, but remembers her scrub nurse? Ouch.

The pshrink from season one of Nip/Tuck - nice.
Old 04-17-05, 10:14 PM   #3
Patman
DVD Talk Hero

I'm liking this show more and more.

Dr. Model - almost worth the price of admisson (well, you get the drift). And she was conscientious enough to speak up for all men's boners.

We finally get to see where Dr. Santiago (Nip/Tuck) went, being the wife of the guy who hammered 7 nails into his cranium. Meredith's own experience with her mom's fading memories compelled her to toss in her 2 cents in regards of the brain tumor removal.

Christina went from being ambitious for a possible surgery into getting sucked into caring for the scrub nurse who returned to die in peace. She looked like she was more emotional pain than she was capable of, and it's another case to grow from for her on the flipside of her usual bedside manner.
Old 04-17-05, 10:56 PM   #4
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.A.
The pshrink from season one of Nip/Tuck - nice.
I spent the whole hour trying to figure out where I had seen her before

Good episode

I liked the scene with Meredith and her mothers scrub nurse when she told her about her mothers disease.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

My Countdown Counting down to: Summer Vacation
Old 04-17-05, 11:03 PM   #5
Rogue588
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patman
Wish I could say the same thing. And with Kathy's "Hello Kitties" finally showing tonight, I thought I was through with this show.

Unfortunately, my girlfriend wants to keep watching it. She's also stressed the point she likes Boston Legal better [probably in an effort to limit my groans].

Oh well. Guess I could find an hour's worth of paint to watch dry..

Though, she's on notice to alert me about future "Hello Kitty" appearances..

| owned | desired | ditchin' | listen Wednesday 10p |
Old 04-18-05, 12:17 AM   #6
movielib
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Quote:
I liked the moment between Meredith and Nurse Fallon when they were laughing about her bitch of a mother. Her mother doesn't remember her, but remembers her scrub nurse? Ouch.
Having had a father with Alzheimer's I know that for a long time one can have occasional moments of seemingly normal lucidity. There is no way of predicting when it will happen or knowing why. And something like her mother suddenly having one of those moments concerning the scrub nurse when she can't remember her own daughter most of the time should not be taken personally. 30 seconds later she may not remember the scrub nurse at all and may recognize her daughter. I thought the scene was realistic and very well done.
Old 04-18-05, 07:14 AM   #7
Patman
DVD Talk Hero

Was that the same actress playing Ellis Grey in the pilot episode as well as last night's episode? I thought the one in the pilot episode was taller than Meredith, but last night's Ellis wasn't all that tall.
Old 04-18-05, 07:49 AM   #8
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

Quote:

Dr. Model - almost worth the price of admisson (well, you get the drift). And she was conscientious enough to speak up for all men's boners.

We finally get to see where Dr. Santiago (Nip/Tuck) went, being the wife of the guy who hammered 7 nails into his cranium. Meredith's own experience with her mom's fading memories compelled her to toss in her 2 cents in regards of the brain tumor removal.

Christina went from being ambitious for a possible surgery into getting sucked into caring for the scrub nurse who returned to die in peace. She looked like she was more emotional pain than she was capable of, and it's another case to grow from for her on the flipside of her usual bedside manner.

Let's hope it is not the last of Dr. Model's underwear scenes.

Good character development on many fronts tonight.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
1st Round Final Scores: Bucknell 64 Kansas 63 | Bucknell 59 Arkansas 55
Old 04-18-05, 08:12 AM   #9
B.A.
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Was that the same actress playing Ellis Grey in the pilot episode as well as last night's episode? I thought the one in the pilot episode was taller than Meredith, but last night's Ellis wasn't all that tall.
Yes, it was the same woman - she was sitting down in the pilot, iirc.
Old 04-18-05, 08:18 AM   #10
B.A.
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by movielib
Having had a father with Alzheimer's I know that for a long time one can have occasional moments of seemingly normal lucidity. There is no way of predicting when it will happen or knowing why. And something like her mother suddenly having one of those moments concerning the scrub nurse when she can't remember her own daughter most of the time should not be taken personally. 30 seconds later she may not remember the scrub nurse at all and may recognize her daughter. I thought the scene was realistic and very well done.
I realize that sort of thing happens all of the time w/ sufferers of the disease - I just thought they were using the scene to reinforce the fact that Meredith's mother was a surgeon first and a wife/mother second and if she were to remember anything it would be from her work - and that's why Meredith had such a good laugh w/ Nurse Fallon when she called her mother a bitch, because she was dead on w/ her assessment.
Old 04-18-05, 08:37 AM   #11
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

Quote:
I realize that sort of thing happens all of the time w/ sufferers of the disease - I just thought they were using the scene to reinforce the fact that Meredith's mother was a surgeon first and a wife/mother second and if she were to remember anything it would be from her work - and that's why Meredith had such a good laugh w/ Nurse Fallon when she called her mother a bitch, because she was dead on w/ her assessment.

That's what I thought as well.
"A question for you. Would you rather Bucknell make the NCAA's once every 20 years or so and get ass raped by teams like Kansas in the first round or have them drop down a rung to a confernce where they can compete for a title?"
- Josh Hinkle
Old 04-18-05, 10:54 AM   #12
maingon
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

i really like this show, and tonights was my favorite of the season, Katherine Heigl is amazing i gotta say i like this more then desperate housewifes now
-Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows Part 2 (2011)
Old 04-18-05, 11:21 AM   #13
movielib
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
You're no doubt right. All I'm saying is that in the real world with real Alzheimer's such an incident doesn't really mean anything. I took it differently based on my own experience. Maybe the writers were not as insightful as I thought.
Old 04-18-05, 02:12 PM   #14
puddytay
Banned

I still don't see what people see in this show.... It's average and to be honest I was really bored watching it last night.
Old 04-18-05, 02:29 PM   #15
Legolas
Banned

^ No one's holding a gun to your head to make you watch.
Old 04-18-05, 03:07 PM   #16
movielib
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddytay
I still don't see what people see in this show.... It's average and to be honest I was really bored watching it last night.
I more or less agree with you. I think it's pretty good and I think somewhat better than average and I watch it for that reason. But I do not understand why it has become an instant monster hit.
Old 04-18-05, 03:12 PM   #17
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

Quote:
But I do not understand why it has become an instant monster hit.
I think it is pretty easy to see why:

1. It follows DH - the highest rated scripted show on TV.
2. It is a chick show, which matches the DH target demographic - this explains why it has done better than BL in the same slot. Plus, for the males, it has 2 attractive female stars.
3. The characters are likeable for the most part.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 04-18-05, 03:25 PM   #18
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

Quote:
BTW - is it just me or did anyone else pick up on a romantic vibe from Dr. Burke and her in the stairwell after he pulled her off the dead scrub nurse?
- Josh Hinkle
Old 04-18-05, 04:19 PM   #19
movielib
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Dog
I think it is pretty easy to see why:

1. It follows DH - the highest rated scripted show on TV.
2. It is a chick show, which matches the DH target demographic - this explains why it has done better than BL in the same slot. Plus, for the males, it has 2 attractive female stars.
3. The characters are likeable for the most part.
I'm aware of all that and I'd buy it if GA was even half as good as DH.

Has DH passed CSI for the season?
Old 04-18-05, 05:13 PM   #20
Patman
DVD Talk Hero

This is nutty: last week, GA pulled in 19 million viewers. This week, they pulled 21 million viewers. Shows aren't supposed to be building viewership, especially one that doesn't appear to have overt mysteries to keep the audience coming back for more.

It had to be Dr. Model modelling the goodies!
Old 04-18-05, 05:16 PM   #21
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

Quote:

Has DH passed CSI for the season?

I think they are neck and neck. CSI wins some weeks and DH wins some.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 04-18-05, 05:20 PM   #22
Red Dog
DVD Talk God

Quote:
This is nutty: last week, GA pulled in 19 million viewers. This week, they pulled 21 million viewers. Shows aren't supposed to be building viewership, especially one that doesn't appear to have overt mysteries to keep the audience coming back for more.

It had to be Dr. Model modelling the goodies!

Could be, although GA was increasing its viewership in previous weeks too.

Without a Trace had the same pattern following CSI - it increased its audience over time.

It is a good, not great, show that is retaining 75% of the DH viewers. Seems about right to me. Heck, the craptacular shows NBC placed after Friends over the years were able to do that, so it shouldn't be a surprise that GA can do it.
- Josh Hinkle
Old 04-18-05, 05:41 PM   #23
Patman
DVD Talk Hero

But GA is almost doubling up the ratings when compared to Boston Legal. Obviously the DH/GA combo is much better suited to keep those DH viewers tuned in to GA over BL.
Old 04-18-05, 06:55 PM   #24
Tscott
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

ABC replaced the showing of some movie on Saturday night two weeks ago with re-runs of the first two episodes of GA back to back, the day before the 3rd episode aired. I'd bet they got more than a few more viewers hooked that night who just looking for something halfway good to watch on a Saturday night. ABC is being very smart about this show IMO.

(and, I also think a HUGE part of all of ABC's successes this season is they're simply offering us new shows that aren't L&O/CSI clones or reality TV)
Old 04-18-05, 09:18 PM   #25
Achtung
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscott
(and, I also think a HUGE part of all of ABC's successes this season is they're simply offering us new shows that aren't L&O/CSI clones or reality TV)
Ding ding! We have a winner!

The main reason my prime time viewership has dropped is because there just has hardly been anything even remotely fresh on for a few seasons. Now ABC is getting the picture and going back to quality scripted shows. Grey's Anatomy isn't a great show, but its way better than most crap out there. Lost is as good as any network drama right now, and I really like Eyes as well. One can only hope that the other networks are watching.