Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 04-14-05, 10:32 PM   #1
Patman
DVD Talk Hero

Project Greenlight S3 - 4/14/05

Aaaah...now this is the trainwreck we all wanted to see. Now, can Gulager get it in gear and ramp up the communication gap and get it done, or will the next 4 weeks be just as chaotic and unorganized?
Old 04-14-05, 10:34 PM   #2
Derrich
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I really don't get how the cast and crew are walking all over Gulager. It's not just a lack of respect, it's nearing contempt.

He made the first day, and instead of praise, they start to come down on him. At that point I knew that no matter what, Gulager was up against a wall.

And Krista Allen is bitching about essentially, getting paid for doing nothing. Boo friggin hoo. Navi is confused because a feature film isn't the same as shooting the OC. Go figure. And the DP is complaining about having to do work. That's the part that really got me. The director changed his mind, that happens, a lot. It's supposed to happen. Otherwise the 1st AD could shoot exactly whats on the page. Which is basically how bad lifetime movies and sitcoms are shot.

Is making the same mistakes the other 1st time directors make. They are constantly told that this is NOT THEIR MONEY and they better not screw up. The producers will never have a good word to say until the premiere and the DP tries to take over(because all DP's know they can do a better job than the director). Gulager needs to figure out real quick that he's in charge and he can tell them all to shut the hell up. Once that happens, thing will start to fall into place and he'll stop being railroaded.
http://www.allgames.com
Old 04-15-05, 09:17 AM   #3
superdeluxe
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patman
Aaaah...now this is the trainwreck we all wanted to see. Now, can Gulager get it in gear and ramp up the communication gap and get it done, or will the next 4 weeks be just as chaotic and unorganized?
They should have canned Gulager. and that casting director overstepped her bounds.

I saw who the Hero was..man I guess they couldnt get the top talent (mark wahlberg)

This movie is going to sink..When your hero is a unknown and heroine..is Ryan's ex on OC?
Old 04-15-05, 10:29 AM   #4
Sessa17
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdeluxe
This movie is going to sink..When your hero is a unknown and heroine..is Ryan's ex on OC?
Yeah, because c low budget horror movies with unknown actors never succeed.

*cough*Blair Witch Project*cough*Friday the 13th*cough*Texas Chainsaw Massacre*
Old 04-15-05, 12:55 PM   #5
BigDan
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is the first time since Project Greenlight started that the shows are making me interested in possibly seeing the movie when it comes out.
Old 04-15-05, 02:37 PM   #6
lopper
DVD Talk Special Edition

Great episode last night.

I can't freakin' wait to see Papa Gulager go ape shit next week. He's so awesome.
Old 04-15-05, 04:32 PM   #7
Breakfast with Girls
DVD Talk Legend

Shoulda never hired Gulager. Failing that, shoulda fired Gulager a long time ago.

Sure, things change on set, but Gulager just looks like he has no control over the situation. That's his job, leading all of the others. If things are bad, maybe he should meet one on one with the DP and figure it out. God, I just feel uncomfortable watching this show because I simultaneously sympathize with him and want to shoot him out of a cannon into the sun.
Old 04-15-05, 07:18 PM   #8
treszoks

It's very weird watching the show. It's kind of like that car wreck on the side of the road...you can't stop from looking over to see what's going on.

What's the big deal if Gulager wants to change the way something is shot? Instead of complaining about it they could have had it setup and shot already. How hard is it to move a freaking camera around? That DP has no respect at all for Gulager.

And I can see how the actors aremad about sitting around not filming, but come on, they're getting paid afterall. Sometimes things don't work out on set. Looks like next week will be really interesting.
Old 04-15-05, 08:00 PM   #9
Breakfast with Girls
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by treszoks
How hard is it to move a freaking camera around? That DP has no respect at all for Gulager.
It's more of a lighting issue than a camera issue. And they are on a 25-day shooting schedule.
Old 04-15-05, 08:30 PM   #10
Patman
DVD Talk Hero

It's not only about lighting, but lighting consistency when you edit the footage together. If the DP doesn't do his job correctly, you'll see mis-matched lighting conditions, and it'll show up in the final cut of the film.
Old 04-15-05, 10:06 PM   #11
Zombie67

Come on now people...lay off on Gulager.
I feel bad for him.
The producers should try to remember that the guy is working on his first studio production. What the hell did they expect would happen? Didn't they learn anything from the first two seasons?
I known he was acting like fool over the casting of his family. The casting agent was a major "Jack A" though also.
Gulager is the director and he should be able to make the film his way. It's his vision. The DP is a major horse's bunghole and he's the one that should be sent packing not Gulager.
Most everyone writing that Gulager should be fired probably has not ever stood behind the camera on a film set. It's not an easy job at all. In his case he has the entire crew and that nasty DP giving the vibe that he can't pull this off not only behind his back, but right directly in his face!
I think he's doing a fine job for a first timer thrown directly onto the fire.
He's like a deer caught in the headlights. It's very scary. Just imagine if it was you in his position. Would you be able to pull it off without any hitches?
Old 04-15-05, 10:22 PM   #12
Patman
DVD Talk Hero

It's been bugging me, but who does Gulager sound like (speech pattern-wise)?
Old 04-16-05, 03:55 PM   #13
brainee
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Has anyone else checked out the blogs on Bravo's site? They're really interesting and revealing, especially the writers. The writers, posting now as they're watching the series, were on set most of the shoot, and seemed to think things were really positive and went smoothly. They don't remember all this "drama", and suggest it's manufactured in the editing room -- trying to provide a nice "dramatic" arc of Gulager getting beaten down early, only to come back at the end and earn people's respect. If that's true, it's rather low for the PGL crew. They're not just making a tv series -- they're monkeying with people's careers. And in the career of Hollywood, image and perception weigh so heavily.

For fun, check out the credits for the DP on imdb (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0130369/). This guy's really the one to talk as the expert -- he's been making crappy movies for 20 years. What a list of bad movies! He's like the Ed Wood of DPs. The only decent movies (out of 52) I see are "She Creature" and "Drop Dead Sexy". At least the evil Casting Director has some good movies to her credit.
Old 04-16-05, 10:42 PM   #14
Breakfast with Girls
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie67
Just imagine if it was you in his position. Would you be able to pull it off without any hitches?
No, I would encounter problems; everyone would. The difference is that I am able to communicate with people with sentences, whereas Gulager communicates in disconnected wisps of thought unless he is 100% comfortable. The initial interview should have been the tip-off.
Old 04-16-05, 10:45 PM   #15
Breakfast with Girls
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainee
Has anyone else checked out the blogs on Bravo's site? They're really interesting and revealing, especially the writers. The writers, posting now as they're watching the series, were on set most of the shoot, and seemed to think things were really positive and went smoothly. They don't remember all this "drama", and suggest it's manufactured in the editing room.
That's not surprising -- it's a reality show, after all.

"For an example of what life was really like on the set, take a long look at the shot when Honey Pie (the lovely blond bombshell Jenny Wade) gets doused in blood from a headless body. Everyone watching on the monitors are laughing and cheering. This perfectly sums up the entire experience on the shoot."

Also

"The fundamental problem of low-budget filmmaking is a lack of money and time. This is the same from film to film. It can be seen here when a few of the actors become upset with sitting around and not being clear at what is happening from shot to shot. It comes from a lack of rehearsal, which we didn't have time or money to do in pre-production. So, this makes the first week of shooting often difficult, since the director and actors are getting to know each other. What is portrayed as poor filmmaking here is actually par for the course in the world of low-budget filmmaking."

I'm willing to be wrong, but for now I'll stick by assessment.
Old 04-17-05, 10:06 AM   #16
Timmio

Gulager reminds me of Milton from Office Space.

The thing that gets me steamed the most is the actors. Ooo I gotta go pay my bills today. I can't stand around and get paid for nothing....why don't they try living in the real world. Plus these aren't even big name actors. Pretty much they are a bunch of nobodys...
Old 04-17-05, 02:51 PM   #17
Cygnet74
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Egos are running rampant on that set... especially the DP's. Gulager's fault lies in not setting the tone for the shoot.
Old 04-18-05, 06:14 AM   #18
Chew
DVD Talk Legend

Isn't sitting around getting paid for doing nothing the dream of most people? I can understand the producers getting all concerned about wasting money, but the actors aren't exactly household names and should be happy to get whatever they can.
Old 04-18-05, 02:13 PM   #19
puddytay
Banned

Chew..... I was thinking the same thing... Why would they bitch about getting paid for doing nothing? They should be happy enough to have been casted....