Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Do you remember Friday Night Videos?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-05, 02:25 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you remember Friday Night Videos?

Remember that show that use to air late nights on NBC in the 80's?

How was it?

I remember I wanted to see the show with Phillip Michael Thomas back in 1985 0r 1986 but my mom would not let me stay up that late
Old 04-04-05, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I remember it! It was the only way we could watch music videos before we had cable.
Old 04-04-05, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts
Yeah, I loved it. I used to set the timer on my VCR (even though I watched it live) just to be able to go back and watch them again later. Although we also had MTV, this was when a lot of houses only had cable in a few rooms, so it was cool being able to watch videos in my (cable-free) bedroom.

Now if you said that you remembered "Cousin Brucie's Jukebox Video" I'd really be impressed. That show ran locally in Atlanta, but it might have been natioanlly syndicated (to UHF channels, probably). That show was the only place I've *ever* seen the original version of Duran Duran's "Careless Memories" video... which is nigh impossible to find *anywhere on the planet* these days.
Old 04-04-05, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I vaguely remember it. My sister and I begged my parents to stay up and watch the premier of a Michael Jackson video on it.
Old 04-04-05, 04:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Yeah, it had that cool (for the time) opening of that guy tied to record needle that then plunged through and shattered a record album, done in a laser light show kind of way, if I remember correctly.
Old 04-04-05, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Oh yeah good times. Couple that with Night Flight and MTV and there was much music video goodness.
Old 04-04-05, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by Graftenberg
I remember it! It was the only way we could watch music videos before we had cable.
Exactly.
After my family moved upstate, this turned out to be the only place that I could catch music videos. I still have plenty of the videos on tape.

My only gripe with the show was that they usually would end the video with about 30 seconds or a minute left of the song. But hell, that aint shit compared to how TRL handles it's videos!
Old 04-04-05, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yea I remember it, only saw it a couple times... the whole thing about not being allowed to stay up that late
Old 04-04-05, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Graftenberg
Werd. We only had one T.V., which I would move into my room on friday nights expressly for the purpose of watching that show.

Anyone remember a concert series show that came on a few years earlier? I think it was called the Blue Jean Network?
Old 04-04-05, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I remember Friday Night Videos,back when i actually enjoyed watching music videos and here in Canada on City TV friday night we had City Limits(I think that was the name),hosted by Christopher Ward and they played alot of weird vids so i always stayed up late to watch it