Reload this Page >

The Contender 3/20/05

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Contender 3/20/05

Old 03-21-05, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bill Needle
That's exactly my point. There's more movement and punching in one round of middleweight boxing than 5 rounds of heavyweight boxing. So if you go in knowing nothing about fighters in either class, you would enjoy the middlewights much more. Most any casual or non-fan of boxing who tunes in would not miss the heavyweights.

Judging by the show having about 30 seconds per round of actual fight film, they would be able to get material from a heavyweight fight. Not all heavyweights clinch (please see Vitali, Byrd, Toney, Rahman, etc.) and the pace of the chosen heavyweights would quicken (less clinching) knowing that each fight would only be 5 rounds. Because there are few "casual or non-fan of boxing" tuning in to the Contender, they missed an opportunity to gain a larger viewership by not having heavyweights. Regardless of preference or bias, having heavyweights on the Contender would gain a larger audience. That is what the majority of the nation knows and that is what would give the Contender a better chance for more viewers to tune in. The ratings are awful (considering publicity and production costs) and not having heavyweights is ONE of the contributing factors to their ratings problem. It cannot be argued that the nation as a whole prefers (or understands) heavyweights. Common people who have little to no interest or follow boxing want to see the best (not in a sweet science boxing definition), not who is the most fundamentally sound (WNBA, minor league sports).
Old 03-21-05, 03:30 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it weird that the underdog has won every fight so far?

Could it be fixed?

When will somebody get knocked out?

That is what I am waiting for.
Old 03-21-05, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fok
Was the fight between Ishe and Ahmed a good one? did they leave on good terms with one another?
they have episode recaps and a lot of clips of the show (including an extended fight sequence) on www.contender.yahoo.com

Also, in regards to the last fight. Sergio dominated Round 1, 4 & 5. Najai dominated round 2. Round 3 was a tossup but I give the slight edge to Najai. Again, Sergio's reach was just too much for Najai cuz Sergio was just jabbing at will.

Another factor in the East losing every week is that the fights are in Cali, so it's much easier for the friends and family of the West guys to get over to the fight. Plus since the crowd is a lot of Cali ppl, they'll naturally cheer for the West guy.

Honestly, the West domination is starting to look like Koror Vs. Ulong in this season's Survivor.
Old 03-21-05, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by ShelleyLevene
Is it weird that the underdog has won every fight so far?

Could it be fixed?

When will somebody get knocked out?

That is what I am waiting for.
I do not think the fights are fixed and I think it is debatable on whether the underdog has won every fight.

1st fight-I just think Manfredo was not mentally ready to fight and Gomez' chin was solid.

2nd fight- Brinkley has some quality wins on his resume (http://www.boxrec.com/boxer_display.php?boxer_id=022985) and actually has more quality wins than Reid (http://www.boxrec.com/boxer_display.php?boxer_id=016720).

3rd fight-Without question Ishe (who has been on showtime) is perceived as a better fighter than Ahdork.

4th fight-The quality of each resume is average but Sergio's length and height trumped any advantage Turpin had (who was an idiot for picking Sergio; http://www.boxrec.com/boxer_display.php?boxer_id=036966, http://www.boxrec.com/boxer_display.php?boxer_id=055282).

In conclusion, the only real upset was Gomez-Manfredy and you can possibly chalk that up to not being mentally ready and someone having a tighter edge than the other.
Old 03-21-05, 06:48 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think last nights fight was the best yet. A lot of good landed punches.
Old 03-21-05, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Using thelwig14's link, it's interesting to see how long ago these fights were:

Manfredo Vs. Gomez: 8/18/04
Jessie Vs. Jonathan Reid: 8/21/04
Ishe Vs. Ahmed: 8/24/04
Sergio Vs. Najai: Exact Date Unknown but going by the pattern it would've been on 8/27/04
Old 03-22-05, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Dabaomb
Using thelwig14's link, it's interesting to see how long ago these fights were:

Manfredo Vs. Gomez: 8/18/04
Jessie Vs. Jonathan Reid: 8/21/04
Ishe Vs. Ahmed: 8/24/04
Sergio Vs. Najai: Exact Date Unknown but going by the pattern it would've been on 8/27/04

It is also scary thinking about the added costs and salaries given to the boxers to keep them all in shape for that length of time. I am sure they did not anticipate the show being moved so many times.
Old 03-22-05, 12:19 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I wish they would leave the kids outta it

"do it for your kid", "your kid is watching" sheesh
Old 03-24-05, 03:07 AM

Pretty interesting article about the show:
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...simmons/050323
Old 03-24-05, 04:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Again, I'm not going to tell you what to do. But since Sly Stallone single-handedly ended the Cold War for us, the least you could do is give his reality show a whirl. If that's not enough of an incentive, watch an episode for me. Before everything's said and done, maybe you'll even find yourself glancing at your VCR clock once or twice.

I think that the SportsGuy is in love with Sly.