Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Commercials that scared you as a child (or still do)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Commercials that scared you as a child (or still do)

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-06, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
Mr. Yuk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLsONa3gKIQ
Old 08-07-06, 01:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man, I was afraid of so many things as I kid that I labeled myself (despite the naysay of my family) as a coward.

One more thing that scared me (another production logo) was the production logo that came on at the end of Growing Pains reruns, which was a guy falling off the roof of a house. It wasn't the fall, per se, but the scream that the guy utters before he falls. That was fuel for many a nightmare.
Old 08-07-06, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Whats really crazy is large marge was a substitute teacher(seriously) had her in sixth grade that was eerie
Old 08-07-06, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Can I talk about current commercials that scare me now as an adult? Those E Harmony dating ones. Man, those people are frightening. Clearly they're not actors. They are the homeliest and weirdest looking/acting people I have ever seen. Both funny and scary.
Old 08-07-06, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,468 Likes on 933 Posts
No commercial scared me into leaving the room as a child, but I remember a couple that disturbed me.

Chuckwagon dog food had a miniature covered wagon being pulled through the house at a gallop while the family dog went beserk and chased it. The wagon drove though the closed door of the kitchen cabinet and vanished.

The Ti-D-Bowl man was in a little motorboat in the toilet bowl. He looked up at you and talked to you about the cleanliness of your toilet.

Last edited by Nick Danger; 08-07-06 at 02:02 PM.
Old 08-08-06, 04:16 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FinkPish
Also not a commercial, but I was always scared when David (Bruce) Banner turned into the Hulk. I always ran out of the room and waited until he stopped changing.
I had this same reaction to the opening credits of the Tales from the Darkside series. The music reminded me of a scary jack-in-the-box tune, and then came this warped noise that seriously freaked me out.
Old 08-08-06, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JP5683
Is there a better link to this? this goes right to the home page...
Old 08-08-06, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 424 Likes on 305 Posts
That calymation character that was in the dominoes commercials kind of freaked me out in the early eighties when i was really young.
Old 08-08-06, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by JayDerek
Is there a better link to this? this goes right to the home page...
Try this

I had not seen that in years. That's a pretty cool site.
Old 08-08-06, 06:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used to leave the room when I saw the first Child Play's commericals.
Old 08-10-06, 04:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sorry about the re-routing of the URLs on the Retrojunk page. Forgot that Zach did that to control traffic. I think if you go 'save target as' you can get it though...

I gave him like 4 hours of old 80's commercials and promos like a year ago, I have no idea how much he's used, the site has just exploded with new content...

the HBO intro is also on YouTube, I just posted the RetroJunk link for anyone who wanted to save it.
Old 05-12-10, 07:20 PM

Re: Commercials that scared you as a child (or still do)

The old Screen Gems logo from The Monkees and Bewitched that had some kind of synthesized brass soundtrack used to freak me out!

Last edited by HUG-H; 05-12-10 at 07:27 PM.
Old 05-16-10, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

This....

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ezkx07HYylo&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ezkx07HYylo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 05-16-10, 02:18 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

I was born in '68 and still remember seeing a "duck and cover" commercial on my local TV channel (must have been in the early-mid 70's). Needless to say I was scared shitless and had nightmares all through elementary school about being nuked while playing outside.
Old 05-16-10, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this one
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Sh21mQNNHec&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Sh21mQNNHec&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 05-16-10, 05:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

I remember an anti-dropout ad when I was really young. Had Abraham Lincoln in a job interview. The interviewer is reading Lincoln's resume aloud,

"Lawyer, President of United States, Commander in Chief. That's pretty impressive Mr. Lincoln. Wait. You never graduated high school? Sorry we can't use you"
Lincoln has this rejected look on his face.

Never forgot it. As much as I hated high school, and thought about dropping out a few times, I'd remember this ad and was convinced I'd be a jobless loser if I didn't graduate.
Old 05-16-10, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

I'll never forget this commercial from when I was a wee lad. It freaked the shit out of me. It was for Eraser-Mate pens.

A bunch of elementary school age kids come across the "nerdy" kid in the school hallway and start making fun of him or something. He pulls out his Eraser-Mate pen and starts selling it, how awesome it is. All the kids laugh at him. To prove his point, he turns quickly to some random kid in the hallway and erases him from existence! The other kids scream and run away, while the nerdy kid turns to the camera with this devious, totally evil grin on his face.

Haunted me for years afterwards.
Old 05-16-10, 02:36 PM

The commercial that scared me as a kid was this one for the War Amps:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0GN9dANKe_Y&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0GN9dANKe_Y&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GN9dANKe_Y

I also was scared of the Unsolved Mysteries music...
Old 06-22-10, 10:49 PM

<object width="500" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3C4cZx0bD0Q&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3C4cZx0bD0Q&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405"></embed></object>
Old 06-22-10, 10:54 PM

<object width="500" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/F8xe8p6zECQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/F8xe8p6zECQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405"></embed></object>
Old 06-22-10, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

hmmm I dont remember what scare commerical on I was a child. so but I did scare on something on tv show but I know this thread is talking about commerical not tv show.
Old 06-25-10, 10:53 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MGBGT
I just had to put this out there because this was a commercial that I remember well but not what it was for--I think it was a PSA--It was animated, and it was some sort of monster walking towards the screen and its face kept getting redder and redder until the monster exploded. It was on back in the 70's, and I avoided late-night TV while this spot was in rotation! I ran for the hills everytime it came on, and there was even a shorter edit of the commercial where the thing was moving faster. Anyone ever see this ad??
Besides, I was interested in hearing if anyone had any other scary TV commercials they remembered.
That was a PSA for the Jewish Chautauqua Society. I remember seeing it several times on Saturday Morning TV during the 70's. "Hate ... an emotion that erodes (corrodes, explodes). And when you hate ... you hurt you."
Old 06-26-10, 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by digidoh
That was a PSA for the Jewish Chautauqua Society. I remember seeing it several times on Saturday Morning TV during the 70's. "Hate ... an emotion that erodes (corrodes, explodes). And when you hate ... you hurt you."
Yes, that was the one! Boy, I can't remember anything more scary for me than that psa! I didn't understand what the message was, I only remember thinking "What a creepy cartoon!". I was scared to watch TV for a while because I knew I was going to run into that thing again! lol

Last edited by HUG-H; 06-26-10 at 04:32 AM.
Old 06-26-10, 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
Chuckwagon dog food had a miniature covered wagon being pulled through the house at a gallop while the family dog went beserk and chased it. The wagon drove though the closed door of the kitchen cabinet and vanished.
No, that commercial just annoyed me! I wanted the dog to catch the wagon and tear it to pieces! It kept alluding the dog and that pissed me off! lol
Old 06-26-10, 06:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.