Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Lost 12/08/04

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-04, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DocBrass
And for somebody to have been on the island for 2 weeks and not eating protein, he is in really good condtion.

Maybe since he's the doctor, the others allowed him to eat some of the boar meat that they've mentioned in almost every episode.

Old 12-10-04, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
Is there a play-by-play recap of last night's episode posted somewhere?
Not play-by-play, but pretty close:

"All the Best Cowboys Have Daddy Issues"
Air Date: 12/08/2004

Picking up right were we left off last week, the survivors react to the information that Ethan was not on the plane manifest. Fearing the worse, Jack and Locke rush out to locate Charlie and Claire. They come across Claire's bag and find a set of footprints with evidence that someone was dragged off. Jack calls to Charlie and Claire, but Locke urges him to be quiet - whoever took them could still be around. While Locke wants to organize a search party, Jack acts impetuously and runs off on his own.

We FLASHBACK -- to Jack in the OR, attempting to resuscitate a female patient. The Chief of Surgery enters and orders him to call the time of death. But Jack is determined and won't stop CPR. Everyone in the room can feel the tension between them until finally, the Chief steps up and calls it himself.

Back at camp, Locke gathers his gear with the intention of catching up with Jack. Kate and Boone volunteer to go along with him. But when Michael tries to volunteer, Locke tells him that another person would only slow them down. Feeling rejected, Michael threatens to put together his own search party.

Out in the jungle, with little to go on, Jack's search is proving futile. We FLASHBACK to the OR again, as he looks over the dead patient's body. The Chief berates Jack for taking over his surgery. Jack says that he stepped in because one of the nurses told him the Chief's hands were shaking and that he cut into the patient's artery. And we begin to realize just how personal this argument really is when Jack asks, "How many drinks did you have at lunch, Dad?" As their eyes lock, we recognize Jack's dad, Christian.

Back on the island, Locke, Kate and Boone catch up with Jack and realize he's been going in circles. Locke insists that he return to camp and look over Sayid, "You be the doctor, I'll be the hunter." But Jack refuses and follows after them.

At camp, Michael fills up water bottles, all the while complaining to Hurley that Locke treats him like a second class citizen. Walt defends Locke and advises his father to listen to him. Michael doesn't take this too well and in a competitive action, resolves to head south in search of Charlie and Claire.

Meanwhile, the northern search continues, but they're having trouble finding any leads. Locke wants to rest, but Jack insists they push on. Kate follows Jack in an attempt to find out what's driving him so hard. Jack reveals that he feels guilty about not believing Claire when she said that someone was trying to take her baby. Locke calls after them because he's found a piece of tape from Charlie's fingers. It seems that Charlie left them a trail. They follow it hopefully, until Locke picks up the footprints again. Locke wants to follow them, while Jack insists they continue on Charlie's trail. Kate points out that the footprints could be a trap. Since she seems to know an awful lot about tracking herself, they split in two - Kate with Jack follow Charlie's trail, while Locke with Boone continue to follow the footprints.

Back at the caves, Walt and Hurley play backgammon. The more Walt continues to win, the more his ability to, "make things happen" becomes apparent. Hurley leaves in utter defeat and frustration. Bored, Walt wanders down to the beach and spreads the news about Charlie and Claire. He runs into Sawyer and suggests that maybe they aren't the only people on the island. While Sawyer brushes him off, he can't help but be disturbed at the thought.

Out on the search, Locke & Boone get to know one another. Boone is surprised to learn of Locke's meager existence in the real world -John Locke was a Regional Collections Supervisor for a box company. Meanwhile, Jack attempts to get to know Kate a little better, asking her to give him something honest for once and tell him where she picked up her tracking skills. Kate tells Jack that her father was in the army and that he taught her about tracking when they would go hiking together. And off that revelation about Kate's father, we go to -

-- a FLASHBACK with Jack's father, who encourages his son to sign off on the death report, which conveniently leaves out the part about his father's mistakes. Jack refuses to sign, insisting that his father was impaired, which is what ultimately led to the woman's death. Jack's father reminds him that he is on the hook too -Jack is the surgeon on record when the woman died. He begs his son not to contradict the report or mention anything about the involvement of alcohol - it would cost him his license. He further appeals to his son's emotions, telling him just what he wants to hear: He's been hard on him to make him the best surgeon in the city. Jack's father promises that it will never happen again and Jack signs the papers.

Back on the island, Sawyer goes to the caves to talk to Sayid. The hostility between them is still palpable and while we think Sawyer may have come for payback, we soon learn he's there to have some questions answered - what did Sayid find while he was away? Sayid shares information of the French woman and her team, but points out that what she said may or may not be true. Sawyer pushes for more information, but Sayid admits that he doesn't have the answers.

Out in the jungle, Locke & Boone are hot on the trail. Locke senses that it's going to rain and warns Boone against impending danger ahead. He tries to convince him to go back to camp. But Boone refuses and follows Locke deeper into the jungle as it begins to pour. Meanwhile, Jack and Kate hear the roar of the monster as we --

-- FLASHBACK - to the hospital, where Jack sees his father conversing with the deceased woman's husband in the hallway. A nurse tells Jack that the man has threatened to sue. Jack watches his father work his persuasive magic and console the husband.

In real time, Jack and Kate run and are separated. Jack slips and slides down a bank into a puddle of mud. He looks up to see Ethan standing over him. Ethan orders Jack to stop following him. But when Jack asks who he is and where Charlie and Claire are, Ethan delivers a healthy punch to Jack's face, knocking him back down. He tells Jack once again to stop following him or he'll kill one of his people. Jack attempts to fight him off, but Ethan is too strong and gains the upper hand, telling Jack this is his last warning and knocking him out. Kate finds Jack and suggests that Ethan may have been a hallucination - he fell pretty hard and banged his head. But Jack is sure Ethan was there and is now more determined than ever to find Charlie and Claire.

We FLASHBACK to a medical review board, where Jack's father details what happened during the fateful surgery. Jack can barely stomach listening to his father's lies. When he learns that the patient in question was pregnant, he can no longer hold his tongue and speaks out against his father, revising his statement to include the fact that his father was operating under the influence and severed the patient's artery. Jack's father stares at his son, shocked by this act of betrayal.

Back in the jungle, Jack and Kate come across Charlie, strung up by his neck, hanging from a tree limb. Kate struggles to climb the tree and cut him down as Jack holds him up. She finally succeeds and Jack works to resuscitate him. It becomes increasingly clear that Charlie is gone and Kate has to pull Jack away - but Jack won't give up, and after beating on Charlie's chest, he gets him to breathe again.

Back at camp, Michael returns without success, disappointing Walt; Kate tells Shannon her brother is safe with Locke; and Jack tries to get Charlie to talk about what happened - but Charlie is experiencing a sort of shellshock and can only convey that all Ethan wanted was Claire.

Out in the jungle, Boone is ready to turn back, the bravado replaced by fear. But his mind changes when he and Locke make an extraordinary discovery - something metal embedded in the ground - and it's not a piece of the wreckage. Excited, Locke vows to find out exactly what it is.
Old 12-10-04, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

In case anyone missed the bolded part above, this is from the ABC "Lost" website:

Back at the caves, Walt and Hurley play backgammon. The more Walt continues to win, the more his ability to, "make things happen" becomes apparent.
Old 12-10-04, 03:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
woooot? next Episode in February

argllglgl
Old 12-10-04, 07:38 AM

Weren't they playing backgammon on the beach?
For whatever reason I recall them sitting on suitcases on the beach...

Last edited by maxpower; 12-10-04 at 07:46 AM.
Old 12-10-04, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Quapil
woooot? next Episode in February

argllglgl

January 5th.
Old 12-10-04, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by stevevt
Maybe since he's the doctor, the others allowed him to eat some of the boar meat that they've mentioned in almost every episode.

I was talking about Ethan.
Old 12-10-04, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by DocBrass
He looked and fought with ease. Pretty easy fight with Jack. One-handed martial art style punches.
I figured the fight between Ethan and Jack was real, but on this show, you never know.

And IIRC, Locke said that in his short time with Ethan he learned that the guy was a much better tracker than he was (perhaps implying that he had some sort of formal military, militia, hunting, or wilderness background), almost as a warning not to f*** with Ethan if you run into him. Locke almost seemed upset or disappointed with himself that he didn't see this type of behavior in Ethan coming until it was too late.
Old 12-10-04, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Ok here's my Theory:

Locke, and Charlie - have become one of "Them"

Locke confronted the "beast" - could very well have died and came back to life as one of "Them." Charlie was definitely not breathing for wayyy too long - and I doubt that punching someone on the chest out of frustration will bring a person back to life. However, Charlie came back to life as one of "Them." The French woman killed the rest of her party - but what if they too came back to life - and are what is out there? Sort of like Pet Cemetery - they come back to life but are not quite the same person as when they died.
Old 12-10-04, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I still don't trust Hurley. He's the only one that saw the manifest, perhaps his name wasn't on it either. That pudgy bastard is hiding something, he might even be Alex himself!

(If he's been shown in flashbacks on the airplane I reserve the right to delete this post )
Old 12-10-04, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
hurley hasn't been shown on the plane, but he's made some references that seem too modern-day... star wars, designing a golf course (he look to be in his twenties... so he was 4-8 years old or so when he came to the island?).

those are a few things mentioned on the other lost threads in the past.
Old 12-10-04, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by johnglass
I still don't trust Hurley.
I'm thinking that's wise, but that's just my hunch.

He's one of the few remaining main characters who has not had a major backstory episode, aside from Walt/Michael and Boone/Shannon (who just seem bland to me, aside from her hotness). And Hurley has actually been more of a key player than the ones I just mentioned, so I suspect when we learn about him it will be a doozy.

Everyone's backstory has been tragic in some way, so I expect nothing less for him, if not more.
Old 12-10-04, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I still don't trust Hurley. He's the only one that saw the manifest, perhaps his name wasn't on it either. That pudgy bastard is hiding something, he might even be Alex himself!

(If he's been shown in flashbacks on the airplane I reserve the right to delete this post )

Not any more you don't!
Old 12-10-04, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
hurley hasn't been shown on the plane, but he's made some references that seem too modern-day... star wars, designing a golf course (he look to be in his twenties... so he was 4-8 years old or so when he came to the island?).

those are a few things mentioned on the other lost threads in the past.

I still don't trust him

The whole "I was a warrior/hunter in the real world" comment was odd (not sure if it was meant to be comical or not). Plus his explanation of why he doesn't use his real name instead of Hurley- it's possible he just picked that name when the plane landed, then found one of the dead passengers "Hugo Reyes" and assumed his identity.

And building the golf course isn't all that much of an accomplishment. All he did was stick some poles in some holes :drool and called it a golf course. I'm sure he's had plenty of time to read if he's been on the island a long time.

Just a theory from a fan who admittedly has no clue where this show is heading.
Old 12-10-04, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by nevermind
Not any more you don't!

And what do we know of this Nevermind character? He seems a bit untrustworthy himself!
Old 12-10-04, 01:33 PM

Not play-by-play, but pretty close:

"All the Best Cowboys Have Daddy Issues"
Air Date: 12/08/2004

Back at the caves, Walt and Hurley play backgammon. The more Walt continues to win, the more his ability to, "make things happen" becomes apparent.
I don't buy this. What else has Walt done to make this "ability" apparent. He didn't "wish" his dog back, because the dog was around from the onset.
Old 12-10-04, 03:10 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BobSolo
I don't buy this. What else has Walt done to make this "ability" apparent. He didn't "wish" his dog back, because the dog was around from the onset.
The Polar Bear from the comic he was reading
Old 12-10-04, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by nevermind

January 5th.

With ABC landing an unexpected hit with the show, the network has quickly realized that 13 episodes just aren't enough. The standard mentality over the past few years with ABC was to give shows 13 at the start of a season and see what happens, as previously done with Push, Nevada, L.A. Dragnet, and Stephen King's Kingdom Hospital. If the show fails, it's canned within 6 (unless under contract like Kingdom Hospital).

What does this mean for Lost? Well, in order to fuel the fire they have going for them, they need more episodes, and they need time to film them. So for those of you who haven't seen the entire series so far, this is your lucky time of year as the show goes on temporary hiatus. Starting December 15th, the show will rerun from the Pilot (in full), and continue down the line until the target date of February. From there, they'll start with Episode 11 called "Whatever The Case May Be" and finish out the season on time in May with however many episodes they decide to finish off the season with.

taken from tvtome.
Old 12-10-04, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
So the target date for episode 11 is February? That's going to be a long wait.
Old 12-10-04, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

that's going to screw things up a bit for a torrent of people who had this weeks episode as episode #11 because they broken the pilot into 2 weeks and aired as different episodes.
Old 12-10-04, 04:42 PM

well, my main concern would be that it gets too boring when it gets streched to much.
Already think the last 2 eps weren't as good as the ones before.

Last edited by Quapil; 12-10-04 at 04:52 PM.
Old 12-10-04, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 869 Likes on 392 Posts
I was dying when I realized the Hobbit was dropping makeshift "leaves of Lorien".

"I'm going north, why don't you head south?"

This is the 2nd time we've seen Kate's tree climbing 'skills'. (tree hugger)
Old 12-11-04, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by IDrinkMolson
This is the 2nd time we've seen Kate's tree climbing 'skills'. (tree hugger)
Interesting, I never thought of that.
Old 12-11-04, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Dabaomb
I agree 100%. Plus, wouldn't his neck have been broken since they hung him?

Best quote was when Walt tells Sawyer, "Why would anyone lie about their name? That's just stupid!"

I can't wait till the show resumes again but I'm still definitely gonna rewatch the reruns cuz I missed 2 of those episodes.
Well, about this. I have read somewhere (dont ask, i dont remember) that when you hang someone there is an equation that shows that under a certian weight they just suffocate, at it their neck breaks (also depends on how high they were dropped from), and above it their head will be severd. So it is possible that he was able to just be unconsious from the hypoxia. The muscles of the neck are probably strong enough to help him stay alive considering how skinny he is.

Also, who is to say that Ethan didnt just threaten claire with a knife or something and that is why charlie and her didnt fight back. Think about it, if someone came up to you and your pregnant friend and said that they would hurt her if you didnt go easily what would you do? At what point would you give in?

Great ep!
Old 12-11-04, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone mention the conversation between Sayid and Sawyer? I didn't quite get what Sawyer was telling him, about lighting the fire or something? Was he talking about the signal from a few episodes ago?

Slightly off topic, I saw a commerical featuring "Kate" (Evangeline Lilly) promoting a dating chat line called "Live Links". This might have been discussed before. I called the line hoping to chat with her but no luck.

I think I was able to grab the commerical on the Tivo so maybe I'll try uploading it somewhere.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.