Old 10-05-04, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dead crowd.

D
Old 10-05-04, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
I thought they were all solid except for Heffron. Shame, he has nailed it every episode up until this one. I thought Alonzo was best, but Dave Mordal was on his game tonight. A little too late to nab the prize though if you ask me. Boden and Heffron have been solid throughout. not a weak night.

Sucks for Gary. Coming in third (for season 2 comics) behind Heffron and Boden again.
Old 10-05-04, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think Dave had the strongest set tonight.
Old 10-05-04, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I so hope Davd Mordel wins this. His set was the best of the show.
Old 10-06-04, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i thought the opposite.. they kept interrupting Jay... and what is with all the love for Season 2

Originally posted by Derrich
dead crowd.

D
Old 10-06-04, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by j123vt_99
and what is with all the love for Season 2
Well, only 2 or 3 of the comics are funny from season 1. the two finalists and maybe one other. Tess? Ralphie? Dat? Not funny.

Season 2's weakest link was Jay London and Ant. Jay had his moments, but Ant was a 1 trick pony. So I would say 6-7 of season 2 were consistently funny. There's your love.

Calhoun, Dave was very solid. But like I said, he hasn't been consistent enough the whole season to deserve the win.
Old 10-06-04, 09:25 AM

I actually thought the 4 funniest comics of both seasons made it to the finals. I have always really liked Dave Mordal's style, I've seen Rich Vos before LCS was a show, and became a fan of both Heffron and Alonzo thanks to Season 2.

That being said, I voted for Dave Mordal. I told my wife that since I like all 4 comics in the finals, my vote is going to the funniest set for the finals. In my opinion:
* Heffron's set was the weakest I've seen of his comedy. Disappointing.
* Alonzo wasn't funny at all; just political rants. Also very disappointing.
* Rich was funny, but not alot of laughs, but the laughs I had were big laughs (the Santa joke killed me).
* Dave's set had me laughing through most of it... He wins as far as I'm concerned...
Old 10-06-04, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Strategically, Alonzo played his set pretty smart. Do some overtly political stuff, with 50% of the country polarized against the other in the middle of an election year… and let the other three guys fight for the scraps.

Just wish the jokes were a little funnier.
Old 10-06-04, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Gary deserved to be in the final. He was by far the best at the roast.

Last night, Dave was head and shoulders above the others.

I didn't laugh once at Alonzo's set.

To see live, for an hour set, I think I'd enjoy Dave and John Heffron the most. They seems to keep coming up with material, whereas the others keep grinding out a lot of the same crap over and over again.
Old 10-06-04, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I haven't gotten through it all yet, but so far, I wasn't impressed with John.

If I were casting a show that would star a comedian, I would definitely pick Todd Glass. He just comes off as more lively and likeable than the rest of the people to me. His jokes just aren't as good.
Old 10-06-04, 11:38 AM

DAVE MORDAL was by far the best tonight and I don't want anyone disagreeing with me.

He had better win next week, which will make up for the tragedy of last season that was Dat Phan.

I voted for Dave 3x. Alonzo has probably been the best 2nd season comedian, but he just wasn't on his game tonight.

I was laughing so hard during Dave's set, everyone elses set had me looking at my watch. I love Dave's type of humor, taking the ordinary things in life and twisting them in to distorted shapes. His opening bit about his parents and their new computer was priceless. And his punchline with the 'redial' comment was pure genius. He's got such a deadpan way of delivering his lines, that it makes him even more funnier.

If I had teh gay and he's the same age as me, hell I'd hit it!

Chris
Old 10-06-04, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by movieking

If I were casting a show that would star a comedian, I would definitely pick Todd Glass. He just comes off as more lively and likeable than the rest of the people to me. His jokes just aren't as good.
I totally agree. I think he would be great as someone's kooky neighbor.

As for the finals, I wish they would whittle it down to two and have them both do 20 minute sets like a real show.

Did anyone hear Heffron on Bob and Tom the other day? He said they cut the roast terribly. Ralphie got pissed and left for an hour and a half. He said everyone was a bit touchy and on edge. That explains a lot of the reaction shots we got to see.
Old 10-06-04, 01:30 PM

Aren't these shows all live??
Old 10-06-04, 04:01 PM

Originally posted by kramdenfan
Aren't these shows all live??
Probably shot a couple of days in advance.

Chris
Old 10-06-04, 04:06 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Rumor has it that the show was cancelled.. Can anyone confirm?

E-mail from Jay Mohr:
Hello Everyone,

Last Comic Standing is cancelled!!!

This is shocking news to me too. I woke up on Wednesday morning and received the news. NBC was not happy with the rating of the show and decided to pull the plug. Keep in mind there is only one episode left and on that episode we were going to ANNOUNCE THE WINNER! Amazing.

Why would a network cancel a show with only one episode left?

There is some back history that makes this more ridiculous. As Last Comic Standing 2 was wrapping up this summer, the network told us that they wanted a "hybrid version" of Last Comic to put on the fall schedule. They said that they simply didn't have enough shows for the fall slate and needed a quick fix. My partner Peter Engel as well as other producers like Barry Katz, Cori Fry, K.P. Anderson and my self thought that this was a bad idea. We argued that having a separate version of Last Comic so soon after season 2 concluded would burn the audience out and damage the franchise. Well the network insisted we move forward and we came up with "LCS Battle of the Best". Season 1 versus season 2 for a prize of 250 thousand bucks. (It seems like Fox hands out a million dollar prizes on its reality shows like its lunch).

Last Comic Standing The Battle Of The Best hit the airwaves in the fall and guess what? The ratings were down. The ratings stayed pretty consistent all season with around eight million viewers but that didn't stop NBC from hitting the panic button.

The biggest question I have is why would you wait until the final episode to pull the plug?

I feel terrible for the comics. We had a great final four with Alonzo Bodden, Rich Vos, Dave Mordal (my favorite) and John Heffron. These four comics are not involved with network bussines or standards and practices but it is they who will suffer the most from this terrible decision by The Nation Broadcasting Company.

I have to stop typing now because I have to go TiVo Father Of The Pride.
Jay
Old 10-06-04, 04:10 PM

I really, really, really, really doubt that they would cancel the series with one big finale episode left. The finale episode of any series always gets the highest ratings. Sure this show and the ratings sucks and more importantly the taste of the American public sucked (by voting Season 2 the best every week, what a joke), but I guarantee you that they will not be cancelling this show with less than 1 week left.

Chris
Old 10-06-04, 04:40 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, it's not listed on the schedule for NBC.com next week...
http://www.nbc.com/nbc/header/TV_Sch...-20041012.html

Tuesday, October 12
8:00 PM FATHER OF THE PRIDE DONKEY
8:30 PM FATHER OF THE PRIDE CATNIP AND TRUST
9:00 PM FATHER OF THE PRIDE POSSESSION
9:30 PM SCRUBS MY CAKE
10:00 PM LAW & ORDER: SPECIAL VICTIMS UNIT OBSCENE
11:35 PM THE TONIGHT SHOW WITH JAY LENO 2797 - SENATOR JOHN EDWARDS, YEARWOOD
12:37 AM LATE NIGHT WITH CONAN O'BRIEN 1966 - TOM GREEN. MITCH HEDBERG
1:36 AM LAST CALL WITH CARSON DALY

I know Comedy Central has been airing the repeats. The next episode (#308) is still listed in their schedule (as is an episode #309 the following week, which is strange since I was under the impression there would only be one more either way). Hopefully they will air the finale if NBC doesn't, although it's worrisome since this isn't something that's already in the can, and if NBC is ponying up the bill the show just may not happen at all.
Old 10-06-04, 04:45 PM

Then if this is true, then the executives in charge at NBC are the biggest assholes ever and should be dealt with accordingly.

Chris
Old 10-06-04, 04:50 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I know the ratings are bad, but I really don't see how two repeats of Father of the Pride will be much better. I truly hope this isn't their way of skipping out on paying the $250,000 price.

EDIT: Just found this...
http://www.nbc.com/nbc/Last_Comic_Standing_3/

On the LCS3 page there's an announcement:

Watch the Father of the Pride Marathon next Tuesday to find out who is the Last Comic Standing!

At least there will be some closure, I suppose. But it's still kinda cheap.

Last edited by DRG; 10-06-04 at 04:53 PM.
Old 10-06-04, 04:52 PM

Those f'ing NBC executives. Here is what is posted on the LCS3 website:

Watch the Father of the Pride marathon next Tuesday to find out who is the Last Comic Standing.

I really hope that the people involved with this decision lose their jobs and end up on welfare.

Chris

Last edited by mrpayroll; 10-06-04 at 04:55 PM.
Old 10-06-04, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I thought it was a stupid idea to close out season 2, and then announce S1 vs. S2 the same night to start in a month. If NBC has indeed cancelled the show right before the finale and plans to reveal the winner during commercial breaks of the idiotic cartoon, then they are true scumbags. I guess they have to make a space on the schedule for "The Biggest Loser".
Old 10-07-04, 12:09 AM

This hardly makes sence, I need to see Dave win, this is crap.
Old 10-07-04, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

how would they do a finale episode anyway for Last Comic Standing? Everyone did their last set. The only thing to do is say "____ has won" and then have the balloons rain down. Don't think it is worthy of an hour or half-hour show
Old 10-07-04, 09:04 AM

As much as I like LCS (one of my favorite shows), there's alot of "fluff" in each episode. I love Tivo-ing it, because you can fast forward through alot of the crap. That being said, for a final episode, there's no reason to stretch it out to an hour. While I don't think they should do a full hour, I think it's worthy of a half hour episode. I think they'll probably do a quick announcement just before Father of the Pride, with maybe a 5 or 10 minute "celebration." Sucks. Damn NBC.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.