Reload this Page >

Last Comic Standing - 9/7

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 09-08-04, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Two were eliminated from last week's comics, again one from each season. The two gone were
Spoiler:
Forgot her name, but the crazy blond chick from S1, and the stunningly unfunny Corey Holcomb from S2.

The performers for this week's show were chosen by their own teammates. Sorry if I don't remember their names, I'm very tired.
Performing were
The Sicilian chick from S2 - Jokes about Michael Jackson's face and Donald Trump's hair. Oooh, so cutting edge!
Jay London - Same old, same old.
Gary Gullman
Alonzo Bodden
Ralphie May - Wow, is this guy annoying.
Rich Vos - The best of the night.
Black chick - Not bad.
Another guy.

Yes, I strive to make certain that I provide a very detailed account. I didn't watch any of Season 1, so I am not as familiar with them as I am with Season 2.
Old 09-08-04, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some of Jay London's stuff is funny, but I see no way how it could remain humorous across a full set. Two minutes is about that guy's limit.

I think that Alonzo was probably the best of the night. Ralphie went for the fat jokes instead of the hood jokes. Tess used her regular material. Rob Cantrel was kind of funny, but the pulled up some old material at the end of his set about having an inner old man. Vos stuck with his same game plan of using old material for more than half of his set and only including a few new quips.
Old 09-08-04, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought Alonzo and Vos were the funniest.
Old 09-08-04, 10:29 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Rob Cantrell was a lot funnier last season than this season. Of the House 1 comics, I pick him to go (though Tess had a worse than usual set). I usually can't stand Ralphie, but tonight he was OK. Vos was pretty good, but not great.

In terms of House 2, I think all 4 turned in strong sets. Gary's was a little weaker than usual, but a weak Gary set is about as funny as a strong Jay or Tammy set. Much as I love Jay, I pick him to go from House 2. Alonzo had one of his strongest sets ever (and that's saying a lot for a guy who's usually very strong).

All in all, I'd say the worst House 2 performance from last night was better than the best House 1 performance from last night. Vos was a very funny man last year. What happened?

Next week, I'm looking forward to Dave Mordal, John Heffron, and Todd Glass. And hopefully, we get rid of Ant and Sean Kent.
Old 09-08-04, 01:07 PM

Tess and Ralphie were just terrible. Cantrell wasn't funny either. I thought Rich was pretty good.

Season 2 should win again and Jay London should go home. I really hope Tess or Ralphie go home for Season 1.
Old 09-08-04, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rob Cantrell and Tammy Pescatelli should be gone.

So far, I have found that Season Two has been better than Season One consistently. Ditto for last night.
Old 09-08-04, 05:42 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow, not the best night, but hey...

Tammy - Awful. Truly awful. I'm not a big fan of her "hey I'm Sicialian material", but that "what are you doing" bit or whatever it was... ugh. Bland and generic.

Tess - Even more awful. Honestly I thought this was abotu the worst performance in season 3 so far. She seemed nervous and unsure up there, and her material was just flat. She usually has a good energy on stage (even if I think her material is repetitive and unfunny) but tonight nothing was working.

Alonzo - Best of the night. Some real laughs here. Not as good as last week, but still really funny.

Ralphie - Again, the energy was off. He didn't seem as "angry" as usual, and it really exposed the one-note nature of his material. You're fat, yep.

Gary - He's one of my favorites, but he was so-so tonight. Wasn't terrible, but nothing special either.

Jay - He's used up all his best stuff. He's in major recycle mode. Plus his gimmicks (I'm sorry, it'll be over soon, etc.) are really played out to the popint he can't really use them to get anything but the "routine" laugh. If comedy was a race, he'd be a decent sprinter but not a marathon man.

Rob - Did surprisingly well last week, but not impressive tonight.

Rich - Second best of the night. Made me laugh several times.

If I was picking, Tess and Tammy would be gone, with Ralphie and Jay as the almost gone.
Old 09-08-04, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think Alonzo won the night in my book, but I am really undecided between who should win for the two houses.

And to rip on somebody's comment earlier in the thread, I would say a weaker Vos is still funnier than most of the others' best sets.
Old 09-08-04, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by DRG
Wow, not the best night, but hey...

Tammy - Awful. Truly awful. I'm not a big fan of her "hey I'm Sicialian material", but that "what are you doing" bit or whatever it was... ugh. Bland and generic.
Maybe she's trying to make that her signature gag, like that "here's your sign" comic from the Blue Collar Comedy Tour.
Old 09-09-04, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That is what I was thinking as well. Not only is it similar to the "Here's Your Sign" as they are both signature gags (or at least can be), it is almost the same jokes! They both list stupid things that people do, and end it with "Here's Your Sign/What The Hell Are You Doing?"

If Pescatelli is looking for a comedian to emulate, she can do a lot better than Bill Engvall.
Old 09-09-04, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Alonzo kicked some ass. Leaps and bounds funnier than anyone that graced the stage that night.