TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Nip/Tuck 8/10/04

Old 08-10-04, 02:43 PM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
Nip/Tuck 8/10/04

Agatha Ripp
Christian and Sean assist a patient experiencing a religious phenomenon; Christian helps Matt with his new love; Julia reveals a dark truth to Sean.

Last edited by Geofferson; 08-11-04 at 08:20 AM.
Old 08-10-04, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks to be an episode that could change a lot of characters. I can't wait!
Old 08-10-04, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Honestly, this series could be 2 seasons and out. The creator has said as much. That would be a shame, but we'd get some great eps between now and then!
Old 08-10-04, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The scene where Julia finally told Sean just ended and it's on commercial. Wow, what a powerful and honest scene. I had my hand to my mouth the entire time in awe. Ack! End you damn commercials!!!
Old 08-11-04, 01:06 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 245 Likes on 185 Posts
decent opening with a great last 15 minutes. The scene with Julia and Sean was excellent.

Christian gets another a double kick in the sack with Liz aborting the baby and the beatdown Sean gives him and what looks like the end of their relationship.
Old 08-11-04, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The "stigmata" plot was a bit predictable IMO, but the message that it was intended to send was a great one. Some amazing acting in the last half of the show, especially from Roma Maffia and Joely Richardson. Could things get any worse for Sean and Christian? I guess we'll just have to wait to find out. How many episodes until the season finale?
Old 08-11-04, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
The last two eps have been stellar. Why? They are finally getting back to the basics of S1 - how their patients affect them (and also Liz this time).

Julian McMahon is a phenomenal actor. His range is ridiculous.
Old 08-11-04, 08:24 AM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
Originally posted by PalmerJoss
How many episodes until the season finale?
There are 15 episodes this season. Last night's was the 8th.

Wow - what an episode last night! The scene between Shawn and Julia rivaled Tony and Carmela's from the season 4 finale of The Sopranos. What made this scene so powerful was the haunting music score that started up on queue...very effective.

Somehow I knew that the Stones' Sympathy For the Devil would play during the surgery.
Old 08-11-04, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 601 Likes on 486 Posts
Originally posted by MrX
decent opening with a great last 15 minutes. The scene with Julia and Sean was excellent.

Christian gets another a double kick in the sack with Liz aborting the baby and the beatdown Sean gives him and what looks like the end of their relationship.

I agree - the beginning and end of this episode were fantastic.

I certainly don't think it is end of Christian and Sean's relationship. Obviously, the business must go on (that's the show ), and realistically, I think Sean can be more forgiving of Christian (since he just found out too and never had an inkling that Matt could be his) than he can be with Julia. Plus he got to take out his anger on Christian's face. He can't do that with Julia.
Old 08-11-04, 08:32 AM

Received 770 Likes on 503 Posts
Caught the last 40 mins of last nights episode. Pretty good stuff.

Spoiler:
I can't help to think that from the previews, next week's episode is going to be rather trying and sad. Kudos to using the Schappell twins (Lori and Reba) as a set of conjoined twins. Not sure I'm going to be able to watch this one.

Last edited by Goldberg74; 08-18-04 at 12:26 AM.
Old 08-11-04, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really enjoyed the episode. Great acting and some very interesting writing. I like how the Faith theme ran throughout. Why is it when ever there is a Stigmata type plot in TV or movies it always turns out to be a farce?

So Christian get's his nose bashed again. Yikes.

Only think I didn't like was the stocker type instrumentation when Sean was coming down the office hall to kick Christian's ass. Too Friday the 13th for me.
Old 08-11-04, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by riley_dude
Why is it when ever there is a Stigmata type plot in TV or movies it always turns out to be a farce?

Old 08-11-04, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 438 Likes on 307 Posts
Originally posted by Geofferson
There are 15 episodes this season. Last night's was the 8th.
I read that this season was supposed to be 16 episodes.

And yes, the creator is leaving after this season, stating that he's said everything he can about the show in these two seasons.
Old 08-11-04, 04:26 PM

Originally posted by DVD Josh
[B]The last two eps have been stellar. Why? They are finally getting back to the basics of S1 - how their patients affect them (and also Liz this time).
I agree, focusing the show on the core characters (Sean, Christian, Julia, Matt, Liz) and only using the patients to further enhance and reflect the primary theme of the episode keeps the plots tighter and storyline more effective.

Great final 15 to 20 minutes where Matt's revelation is finally given to Sean and his reactions with Julia, Christian, and stigmata girl.
Old 08-11-04, 08:28 PM
SeeNo Member

Still the best show on TV.
Old 08-11-04, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
...Why is it when ever there is a Stigmata type plot in TV or movies it always turns out to be a farce?
Just a wild guess here but maybe because they don't want it to be too stupid.

(I think fraud would be a better word than farce.)

Just one question. Shouldn't the other blood be male to make it even the least bit believable, even to someone like the gullible priest and parishioners? Jesus was supposed to have been a man, right, and a "true" case of stigmata, according to the show, would produce Jesus' blood. Wouldn't DNA tests (which should have been done if trying to verify this "miracle") show the blood to be from a female?

Also, we could find out exactly what Jesus' DNA was from a "true" stigmatic. How cool is that?!

I did not think this was one of their better shows. Everything seemed overly contrived and artificial. Sean running around, all of a sudden being Mr. Atheist in every scene so he can end up in church (Yeah, didn't see that coming ). Liz weeping and wailing to stigmata lady made me want to vomit. Usually this show zips by for me and seems less than an hour and ends with me wanting more. Yesterday's show seemed interminable and I just wanted it to end.

Last edited by movielib; 08-11-04 at 11:45 PM.
Old 08-12-04, 08:38 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Please use spoiler tags when discussing the previews for upcoming episodes!

As for this episode, I can't believe that nobody's complained about the "Christian-bashing" at the end!
Old 08-12-04, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I get to watch this as of September 1st. Sorry, I'm excited.
Old 08-12-04, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 438 Likes on 307 Posts
Originally posted by movielib
Just one question. Shouldn't the other blood be male to make it even the least bit believable, even to someone like the gullible priest and parishioners? Jesus was supposed to have been a man, right, and a "true" case of stigmata, according to the show, would produce Jesus' blood. Wouldn't DNA tests (which should have been done if trying to verify this "miracle") show the blood to be from a female?

Also, we could find out exactly what Jesus' DNA was from a "true" stigmatic. How cool is that?!
DNA testing is quite expensive and takes much longer than the 2 days that this episode covered.
Old 08-12-04, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I liked last night's episode, but the whole stigmata situation just reminded me of the movie Stigmata. It was very significant to the rest of the things going on, but it felt more like I was rewatching the movie than watching Nip/Tuck.

That's some bad news about the creator of the show leaving after this season. Although this could me the show would end, I would rather have it end well shortly, than be dragged out so much that it doesn't resemble the orginial series.
Old 08-12-04, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by slop101
DNA testing is quite expensive and takes much longer than the 2 days that this episode covered.
I understand that but my point is that it should and would be done. Even the Catholic Church is pretty careful about accepting "miracles" of this type (for example, it has never accepted the Shroud of Turin as authentic, even before the radiocarbon dating) and I can't believe it wouldn't want this tested.

The woman perpetrating this pathetically clumsy fraud (which makes the plot point, to me, pathetically clumsy) would soon be found out and lose just what she was trying to save - her program - and more.
Old 08-12-04, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Jonny2k1

That's some bad news about the creator of the show leaving after this season. Although this could me the show would end, I would rather have it end well shortly, than be dragged out so much that it doesn't resemble the orginial series.

I agree. As much as I love this show, I would rather see it end on a high than see it die a slow painful death like we see with so many other shows. Prime current example being The West Wing.
Old 08-14-04, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I still think that the show is going downhill, but it was great to see Sean finally let loose and grow a pair. I loved how he went after Julia, and then hunted down Christian like you would see on Animal Planet and lay him out. It's about time, Sean!

I am interested to see how all of this will play out in the next few episodes.

WTF with Liz? She didn't want the kid because it might have had Downs, and she was afraid that Christian would not want it? Did I read that correctly? I was in and out so I could have missed something.
Old 08-14-04, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Only think I didn't like was the stocker type instrumentation when Sean was coming down the office hall to kick Christian's ass. Too Friday the 13th for me.
I half-expected Sean to chop through the door with an axe, poke his head through and say, "Heeeeeere's Seany!"

Another great episode.
Spoiler:
Should be interesting next week, what with Sean and Christian separating the conjoined twins while (apparently) severing their partnership. I just know there's a metaphor in there somewhere, but they're so damn subtle.
(edited to add spoiler tags to my comments about next week's preview)

Rob

Last edited by RobCA; 08-14-04 at 08:16 PM.
Old 08-14-04, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'll join in on the Praise parade for this episode.

I barely recognized Sarah Paulson as lady stigmata.

Christian was getting it from both ends as Liz aborted her fetus and the cat's out of the bag w/r/t Matt's paternity. The final scene with Sean and Julia was pretty intense and sad.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.