Last Comic Standing - 08/03/04

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 08-03-04, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 193 Likes on 158 Posts

"Vote", Episode #212.

The competition intensifies; viewers will be able to make their choice.

Producer(s): Jay Mohr, Peter Engel, Barry Katz.

Original Airdate: August 3, 2004.
Old 08-03-04, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Will they still be doing the "I know I'm funnier than ______" challenges at this point in the competition?
Old 08-03-04, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't think so. If I understand correctly, the TV audience votes three out of the six ahead to next week, where the audience will pick a winner.
Old 08-03-04, 07:27 PM

Received 771 Likes on 504 Posts
movieking is right.

I hope that all the guys move on... that'd be John, Alonzo and Gary (I'm not sure what Jay qualifies as).
Old 08-03-04, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't think Tammy is Sicilian. I think it's all an act. A really ****ing tired shitty act.
Old 08-03-04, 09:11 PM

After watching tonight, I still stick my my three picks above.

I thought Alonso was the funniest, then Gary, then John. His 'gotta-go-girl' stuff was good, but not as good as Gary's 'cookie' bit, and not nearly as funny as Alonso's entire set.
Old 08-03-04, 09:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree. Alonzo, John and Gary should advance. If the comedy gods exist this is what will happen.

I have to say, after all that waiting... Kathleen did not impress. It had been so long since we saw her do standup that I didn't remember what she was like. But as she was doing her act I remembered a few of the jokes from auditions.

John, Alonzo and Gary kept it fresh and they always seemed to have new material. They deserve to move on. Going to vote now...
Old 08-03-04, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd go with Alonzo as #1 and Gary as #2.

John has been my favorite so far, but I thought he was a bit weaker tonight. I wasn't really into his subject matter tonight, and unfortunately his whole act revolved around the same subject. I'd put him at 3rd.

The other 3 were a tossup. None of them were bad, but none really stood out.
Old 08-03-04, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

1. Alonzo
2. Gary
3. John
4. Kathleen
5. Jay
1000. Tammy
Old 08-03-04, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

For all the shit we give Tammy, you really have to give her credit for owning the audience. She seems really comfortable on stage and always has great command of her routine. John's act was weak. I've always liked him, but he just took one joke and beat it into the ground. It started funny, but 4 minutes of the same concept doesn't work for me. He also finished poorly. I don't know what was up with Kathleen, but her voice was off. I couldn't tell if she was sick or nervous. It was almost like she didn't feel comfortable on stage. It also wasn't her A material. Alonzo was strong, Gary too. Jay was terrible.

If I had to pick the three I want to see again, I'd go with Alonzo, Gary, and Kathleen.
If I had to guess the winners, I'll guess Alonzo, Gary, and Tammy.

das
Old 08-03-04, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm voting for Alonzo, John and Kathy.

Alonzo was definitely the funniest by far followed by John. Everyone else was basically the same to me.
Old 08-03-04, 11:31 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by B.A.
I don't think Tammy is Sicilian. I think it's all an act. A really ****ing tired shitty act.
I thought the same thingwhen they showed her family. They looked pretty damn WASPy.

My order, from most laughs to least tonight...

Gary
Alonzo
John
Kathleen
Jay
Tammy

John was somewhat disappointing for me tonight, while I thought Alonzo gave his best performance. Tammy was slightly better than usual just because she brought some "real world" stuff into her act. But I still didn't laugh, and her phony ass accent just grates.

Jay wasn't as funny here as in the loser bracket, but then again he's suffering from overexposure after two performances last week (and it's made worse by the limited range of his comedy). Kathleen was amusing, but I didn't find any of it LOL funny. Gary, on the other hand, I couldn't stop laughing. I don't know what it is, but I think he's hilarious.
Old 08-04-04, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I think Gary was the best of the night, although he did spend a little too much time on the snooze button gag. Alonzo was second best.
John was off. His nightclub bit was true, but not really that funny. He took a big chance centering his whole set around that premise.
Jay had a few good lines, but one-liner acts were stale about 8 minutes after Oscar-winner Stephen Wright showed up. I couldn't picture myself watching a whole special with Jay London, and NBC might just as well set fire to the money they have put aside for a sitcom project with him for all the good it will bring them.
Tammy was Tammy. At this point, you know her whole routine and could probably write the same jokes.
Finally, after all this time we get a taste of Kathleen and..........WTF? That was terrible! Were those even jokes?
Old 08-04-04, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with most of you. My pick for tonight:

Alonso
Gary
John

You know, I don't care for Tammy, but I can actually watch her act without cringing. The same can't be said for Jay. I can't wait for his set to end it's so painful.

I thought Tammy's act was especially poor tonight though. Most of it didn't even feel like jokes, but simply (unfunny) commentary. Calling Paris Hilton rich white trash isn't funny, even if you agree. She got some claps, but not many laughs.

Alonso definately had the best set.
Old 08-04-04, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
same here. Alonzo, Gary, John.
Old 08-04-04, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Alonzo
Gary
John

Alonzo's set owned. The joke about mosing to the airport was hilarious.

Gary has some good observational humor. And has shown his strength many times.

John, got-to-go girl was his best joke. Read into that what you will.

Jay, was Jay. I know everyone here hates him, but I get a kick out of his one-liners. I'm sure it would get old after awhile, but it's moderately funny now.

Tammy, knows how to work a crowd or should I say the lowest common denominator? Her set is all fluff. It's really boring to here jokes about Italians killing people. I don't know why, but I feel like its played out.

Kathleen sucked. I saw her do the same jokes two years ago. Much like Tammy her whole act is fluff. AND SHE LAUGHS AT HER FRIGGIN OWN JOKES! It's okay to do that, but only if they are gutbusters. Her jokes belong on greeting cards or calendars, not the stage. I told you guys she sucked, and I was right.

However, knowing how stupid America is here's my guess for the final 3: Tammy, Kathleen, Gary.
Old 08-04-04, 08:35 AM

NBC asks you for personal info in order to vote... that sucks.

Not only that you have to enter it three times.
Old 08-04-04, 11:18 AM

I'm going to be just a little different and pick Gary, Alonzo, and Tammy.

Maybe it's the Italian in me, but I liked Tammy's set. Or maybe it's just because I haven't watched very many of these, so I'm not tired of her stuff yet.
Old 08-04-04, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Thank-you.
Am I bothering you mamm? I'll move over here.
Thank-you.
I'm dying.
Thank-you.
It's almost over.
Let me move over here.
Thank-you.
I'm the fourth guy on the....
I Said....
Thank-You.

Hey Zeus Krist! Someone end it.

My favorite two were and still are John and Gary. Next up would be Alonzo.
Old 08-04-04, 12:31 PM

Originally posted by saoirse
Thank-you.
Am I bothering you mamm? I'll move over here.
Thank-you.
I'm dying.
Thank-you.
It's almost over.
Let me move over here.
Thank-you.
I'm the fourth guy on the....
I Said....
Thank-You.

Hey Zeus Krist! Someone end it.

My favorite two were and still are John and Gary. Next up would be Alonzo.
Please like me...
I get all my hair supplies at Petco...
Just two more minutes...
Thank-you.
Old 08-04-04, 01:23 PM

I hope it will be John, Alonzo and Kathleen. But unless Kathleen brings her "A" set, Gary and Tammy will be fighting for the last spot.

John's set was the strongest. But he needs to spend less time on one topic. He needs a half hour.

Kathleen's Alien/Fish story was absolutely hillarious and smart. Best of the night. Unfortunately, not consistent. Here other material was slow. She is an hour comedian and has to become familiar with the audience. Takes to long to get to her punchline, given the time constraints. But that is her act.

Gary's set was mediocre at best. He did much better on the second face-off. But he could easily take Kathleen spot, if he could put out a better set.

Tammy can play the audience better than anyone there. If the audiences are fresh she will get the laugh. Which may sway viewing voters. But after seeing her act so many times, it gets stale. But her delivery and timing is better than anyones there. Just needs some more powerful material.

Although I like Alonzo, his act is ultimately forgettable. I cannot remember anything funny he said, but I remember laughing so I know he was good ;-P

Jay ..... Jay who?

I do not like the voting. It should be audience only. There is a performer audience connection that is removed from the TV. Especially repeat viewers. Some acts are great the first time. But to a live audience, it is the first time. The phone, internet and text messaging will skew the vote towards the freshest material, which is not always the best.

Thank you ... Don't worry Miss ... it's almost over
Old 08-04-04, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Same as everyone

Alonzo
Gary
John...

hopefully it will be those 3... that will be a very funny and VERY CLOSE night
Old 08-04-04, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I thought John wasn't so good this time, but I hope he gets through because I've liked all his stuff up until this "how to go to a bar and get laid" bit. I think Corey Holcomb wore that material out already.

I really liked Kathleen's relating fishing to alien abduction, but she should've done more with that. The rest was really forgettable.

Alonzo was far and away the best. I'll give Gary 2nd just for the brown paper towel joke, and John third even though I wouldn't mind seeing Kathleen get another shot. I really want to see Alonzo and John both get a shot at winning this. I think they both beat Gary hands down, but Kathleen is still an unknown to me.
Old 08-05-04, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

gary - alonzo - the rest sorta sucked but i hope john will get it
Old 08-05-04, 03:21 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

hahah, i told you all alonzo was the best, alonzo is in the top 3 of all of your list

racial humor (alonzo) pwnz

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.