Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Will TiVo ever NOT require a phone line?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Will TiVo ever NOT require a phone line?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-04, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will TiVo ever NOT...

...require a phone line?

This is one of the reasons i've resisted a TiVo for so long. I don't have a land line. Have no interest in getting one again.

So, I guess i'll be TiVo-free for the forseeable future.
Old 03-02-04, 03:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
Tivo doesn't actually require a phone line. I've had mine downloading its data over my internet connection for a year to year and a half now. Take a look at the following site: http://www.9thtee.com/turbonet.htm

Be warned this requires opening your tivo which could void your warranty. If your TIVO software is up to date at version 3.0 or greater, all you need is a dhcp server on your network and to set your dialing prefix to #401. The tivo will then download its data over the Internet rather than the phone line.

Michael
Old 03-02-04, 03:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Alternatively you could get a ReplayTV and use your broadband connection (assuming you have it). No manual labor involved
Old 03-02-04, 05:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I had my Tivo d/ling data from the net for almost a year. I only changed because I moved the entertainment center to the other side of the room and the cable no longer reached. I didn't have to open the Tivo, I just used a null cable plugged into the serial line. Worked like a charm.

D
Old 03-02-04, 07:03 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
It's only a PITA if you have a DirectTV Tivo, otherwise it's fairly easy.
Old 03-02-04, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

When I had a Tivo Series 2 I was able to purchase a USB network adaptor into the back of the unit and download that way. The Tivo was the last thing that kept us from ditching our land-based phone line.
Old 03-02-04, 07:31 AM

Yeah, my TiVo series 2 is hooked up to my wired LAN. I just set up a TiVo series 2 for my Dad using a wireless LAN. No problems at all.
Old 03-02-04, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe your cable company is offering their Tivo alternative.
Old 03-02-04, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I believe you'll need a landline for initial setup, but you can just do that at a neighbor's place or something. After that, just hook it up to a wired or wireless LAN, if you have one.
Old 03-02-04, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Actually with DirecTivo you get all your programming updates via satellite. The unit only calls in every 3 days or so to check for software updates, etc. I have heard many people at the Tivo forum talk about how they don't have their DirecTivos plugged into a phone line and they only occassionally hook a phone up to force a call and download new software.
Old 03-02-04, 09:38 AM

Originally posted by Achtung
I believe you'll need a landline for initial setup, but you can just do that at a neighbor's place or something. After that, just hook it up to a wired or wireless LAN, if you have one.
You don't even need a lineline for initial setup. I just setup my dad's using only wireless LAN. All you have to do is, when asked for a dialing prefix, enter ",#401". The TiVo then uses the network connection to make the initial call.
Old 03-02-04, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Too bad they didn't work like a VCR where you just have to set the clock and then tell it to record a certain channel from one time to another. I'm not that lazy to rely on some computer schedule. I'd by a TIVO then (without a monthly charge). Otherwise, the VCR will work just fine.
Old 03-02-04, 10:44 AM

Originally posted by resinrats
Too bad they didn't work like a VCR where you just have to set the clock and then tell it to record a certain channel from one time to another. I'm not that lazy to rely on some computer schedule. I'd by a TIVO then (without a monthly charge). Otherwise, the VCR will work just fine.
That's the main appeal of a tivo. If you have the time to manually program it to record everything you want to watch, then you probably have the time to juggle VHS tapes around as well. I have about 50 season passes on mine, if I didn't have the tivo I'd probably be watching only the 4 or 5 shows I was watching last year pre-tivo (though that might have been a good thing).

And my DirectTIVO has gone 110 days now without a phone call. It pops up a message everyday telling you it wasn't able to call in (and tells you how long it has been), but aside from missing out on any software upgrades it doesn't make any difference.
Old 03-02-04, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Jadzia
Actually with DirecTivo you get all your programming updates via satellite. The unit only calls in every 3 days or so to check for software updates, etc. I have heard many people at the Tivo forum talk about how they don't have their DirecTivos plugged into a phone line and they only occassionally hook a phone up to force a call and download new software.
That's very true. I don't have a home phone either, I just use my cell. My two DirecTV/TiVo's haven't been plugged into a phone line for almost seven months now. Once a new software update hits, I can just bring them into work to force a call and get the software. I get a nag screen daily to let me know I need to make a callback, but the functionality of the units, otherwise, is unaffected.

Really not a big deal at all.
Old 03-02-04, 11:00 AM

That reminds me, the DirectTV is currently rolling out a new update to fix the erroneous "Acquiring Guide Data" banner. So those of you who aren't always connected will need to dial in if you want it.
Old 03-02-04, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Groucho
That reminds me, the DirectTV is currently rolling out a new update to fix the erroneous "Acquiring Guide Data" banner. So those of you who aren't always connected will need to dial in if you want it.
Yeah, I've been waiting for mine to update. I heard they were rolling it out in small batches but it hasn't hit me yet.
Old 03-02-04, 11:04 AM

You can record by time/channel on any Tivo, if that sort of thing's your bag. But if you buy a Series 1 Tivo on ebay (or elsewhere), you can do this without a subscription.

I used to think like you, until I actually got one of these things. Using the guide data and season passes beats the manual method by a huge margin. For one, if something changes last minute, your recording time will automatically switch to reflect the change.
Old 03-02-04, 11:43 AM
Retired

Originally posted by marty888
Maybe your cable company is offering their Tivo alternative.
I'm waiting for that to come to my area. I don't have or want a land line or broad band connection so I'll just do without until comcast makes there's available in my area.
Old 03-02-04, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Been updating my Tivo via wireless broadband for a year now. Supereasy to set up.
Old 03-02-04, 05:20 PM
Banned

what do u need for wireless, i have a linksys wireless network set up in my house
Old 03-02-04, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i have a series one and i use the manual recording method. i had the service when i first got it but found that manual is just as good
Old 03-02-04, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That's very good news. It hasn't hit me yet but it should since I do have a line connected.
Old 03-03-04, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,653 Likes on 1,032 Posts
Spoken like someone who doesn't have a Tivo.
Old 03-03-04, 01:30 AM
JM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Get a ReplayTV 5xxx. It is broadband enabled out of the box. Plus, it can do a lot more than just getting guide updates over ethernet such as downloading shows to your PC, streaming shows to your PC and/or another ReplayTV, storing Photos on the ReplayTV, downloading shows using IVS in case you forget to record something, scheduling shows to record remotely, etc.

A base Tivo is way behind ReplayTV in terms of making use of ethernet. The Home Media Option improves this for an extra $99, but ReplayTV still has the edge in this area.
Old 03-03-04, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Cool

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.