TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Ed is done for good.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-04, 02:25 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Patman
Soon to be "watched".
Yep, I might just go back to doing without TV. I did over the summer, but renewed it in the fall for football and basketball (only get cbs and nbc and crappy at that with an antenna).

I have a great deal now where I've been getting digital cable for 34.95/month for 6 months. That runs out next month, then it will jump up to over $60 which is just absurd. Satellite isn't any cheaper for me in all likelihood as my apartment complex requires a $500,000 insurance policy to be purchased if you have one installed.

So I might just cancel it and do without and hit the local sports bars and friends houses for games I want watch.
Old 01-23-04, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Patman
Bring on "The Burtons"!
or

Dr. Michael Angelo Hieronymous Antidisestablishmentarianism Burton M.D.
Old 01-23-04, 03:58 PM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA
Well, shit.
Old 01-23-04, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,026 Posts
Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
Satellite isn't any cheaper for me in all likelihood as my apartment complex requires a $500,000 insurance policy to be purchased if you have one installed.
Um, what?

I'd love to see a lawyer take a look at that.
Old 01-23-04, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i am just curious. i read at the beginning of the thread that OP stated that the promos stated "the last three episodes.." or something like that. is it possible that they are just referring to the last episodes of the season instead of ever?!?

nah, probably not. knowing the nbc brass like we do, i hate to say it but this show is probably gone. i have been with this show since day 1 and even though it has slipped this season, it's still better than lots of other stuff. it this is true, then i will be really to see stuckeyville go.
Old 01-23-04, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by kevin75
i am just curious. i read at the beginning of the thread that OP stated that the promos stated "the last three episodes.." or something like that. is it possible that they are just referring to the last episodes of the season instead of ever?!?

nah, probably not. knowing the nbc brass like we do, i hate to say it but this show is probably gone. i have been with this show since day 1 and even though it has slipped this season, it's still better than lots of other stuff. it this is true, then i will be really to see stuckeyville go.
I've seen the commercial and it says something about catching the last 3 episodes of Ed BEFORE Carol and Ed's wedding. If the show wasn't on the bubble every year, I would think no one would be reading into the promos that the show has already been canned. I personally think it will not be back, but I didn't think the promo was meant to imply that. Just my opinion.
Old 01-23-04, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Well, now it's down to 2 final episodes of Ed (NBC's words, not mine). Why NBC is being coy about the future of Ed, who knows. But it doesn't look bright for the future of Ed.
Old 01-29-04, 12:43 PM
Retired

Originally posted by Draven
Um, what?

I'd love to see a lawyer take a look at that.
I checked. It's valid. They just can't not allow satellites as that's forcing people into cable, but that's all the current law states.
Old 01-29-04, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is sad news if ED goes off the air. I just started to watch the show this year. Hopefully there will be a DVD set.
Old 01-29-04, 03:49 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I checked. It's valid. They just can't not allow satellites as that's forcing people into cable, but that's all the current law states.
Not to get into too much of a discussion, but they cannot "force" you to purchase an insurance policy. The law states they cannot prevent you from installing a satellite dish, they can only stipulate where it cannot be installed (common grounds). If you're really interested in gettiing satellite, you might want to look into it a bit further. Don't let them jerk you around - you have your rights.
Old 01-29-04, 04:42 PM
Retired

Problem is that I would have to install it on common grounds, and rather than just not allowing their tennants to do so, they just require an insurance policy if you're going to put one on their grounds.
Old 02-05-04, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
back on topic
NBC has been touting Friday's wedding-themed Ed as the show's "final" episode — and for once it seems the Peacock's promo department is telling it like it is. "It's been a terrific run, but the odds are this is its final season," NBC entertainment president Jeff Zucker tells TV Guide Online. Although Zucker adds there's a small chance the 4-year-old dramedy could return next season — "We're going to leave ourselves a little flexibility for when we put the schedule together in May" — he confirms that the show's actors have been given the green light to pursue other work. Translation: Fork. Stick. Done.
MY Translation: ****. Jeff. Zucker.
Old 02-05-04, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
Well at least NBC isn't going to leave everybody hanging until May. Still bummed that Ed's basically cancelled.
Old 02-05-04, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i don't know if anyone else has seen this or even cares, but over on the message boards at stuckeyville.com...there is an effort going to take out an ad in variety to make the fans feelings known. here is the link to the actual info page...http://webpages.charter.net/jniner/
Old 02-05-04, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
thanks for the info kevin75.

even though I think it's futile, i'm in.
Old 02-06-04, 12:40 PM

It's a shame...I don't know if I even caught half the episodes this season.
Nbc has shamelessly made watching Ed near impossible. If nbc was not throwing some crap show in its slot it was moving it about.

It feels they are doing the same thing to Scrubs...moving time slots, inconsistent show dates...airing new eps while it's lead-ins are reruns.

Nbc is crap to me at this moment. I would watch nbc tues -thurs
almost exclusively.
Now it's just friends and scrubs...maybe ed if I could ever find it.
I will no longer watch anything following any reality crap(or reality for that matter).
Old 02-06-04, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well I guess its offical that tonights episode will be the last. I've been seeing promos saying that this is the final episode.
Old 02-06-04, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well it is just about over. The Cheswick piece was horrible, but Shirley was great throughout the show (her conversation with Carol and the song). If I had to pick, I would have Carol marry me in the circus outfit. Yowza!
Old 02-06-04, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And now it is over. Great touch at the end with the wedding photos I thought.

I am really going to miss this show, but it was a great way to end. The series came full circle.