Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Friends (1/15/04) The One Where Chandler Gets Caught

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-04, 07:30 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
Friends (1/15/04) The One Where Chandler Gets Caught

Missed this one tonight... any one wanna do a recap? Was it just your standard 'clip' show?

THE ONE WHERE CHANDLER GETS CAUGHT   8/7pm 01/15/04

WHO'S THAT MYSTERY BLONDE WITH RAMBLER CHANDLER? RACHEL AND PHOEBE NEED TO KNOW! -- When Chandler (Matthew Perry) is spotted by Rachel (Jennifer Aniston) and Phoebe (Lisa Kudrow) sneaking into a car with a mysterious blonde woman, they discover a bigger surprise that leaves all the gang agog -- especially Joey (Matt LeBlanc). Together, the sextet reminisces about some of their most memorable moments that have cemented their bonds of friendship for the past decade. Courteney Cox Arquette and David Schwimmer also star.

Old 01-16-04, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have nothing to say other than thanks for a freaking clip show in your last season, overpaid a$$holes.
Old 01-16-04, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Worst episode ever!
Old 01-16-04, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Gawd, this was a lame way to do a clips show, but the clips were pretty funny.
Old 01-16-04, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Although a clip show, it sure seemed to have a lot more original content in it than your standard version.
Old 01-16-04, 08:25 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Only the middle segment was a clip show. The main story is that Monica and Chandler have bought a house. Preparing us for the gang splitting up at the end of the season.
Old 01-16-04, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Pretty much the end has been telegraphed: all will go their separate ways by the end, and Joey is probably the only one that goes west to Hollywood. Mike and Phoebe will move somewhere else, Ross will probably go in looking for dinosaur remains, and Rachel might be the only one that stay in NYC.
Old 01-16-04, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Morf
I have nothing to say other than thanks for a freaking clip show in your last season, overpaid a$$holes.
Old 01-16-04, 09:07 AM

Maybe it's not the fault of the stars. Seems like writers' laziness to me. They got an easy episode by filling half the time with recycled footage. I did feel ripped off.
Old 01-16-04, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
No kidding. Money aside, just the fact that they are planning an hour clip show before the finale and they feel the need to have another clip show 10 episodes prior to that. Lame.

I want girls on bread!
Old 01-16-04, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i was disappointed with the clips also, that should come a la seinfeld, along with the last episode.

plus, i can already see the end. chandler and monica looking at an empty apartment before shutting the door behind them to move to westchester. (my first thought after they announced the move was "somebody needs to take that apartment, save it b/c it's such a wonderful and spacious place for NYC" !!!!!)
Old 01-16-04, 12:22 PM
Suspended

In conclusion to all above postings:

I watch it because it sucks really bad.
Old 01-16-04, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
It amazes me that sitcoms STILL do clip shows at all. Clips shows made sense in the days prior to home video, since it was the only way to see your favorite scenes again - but considering the fact that shows are recorded, syndicated and on DVD, it makes NO sense to do clip shows anymore...it's just laziness by the writers!

Attention FRIENDS writers...we've already seen this stuff 1000 times!!! The commericals are newer to us!
Old 01-16-04, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I didn't mind the clips, although it reminded me of how bad the first season was. The intro was hilarious though with Joey and Ross. Sex or Dinosaurs
Old 01-16-04, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Ugh...clip shows. The reason why the final Seinfeld was...such a let down. I mean...seriously. If they try this crap with the final episode on Friends...that will be annoying.
Old 01-16-04, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Courtney Cox Arquette sure looks VERY pregnant in that episode.
Old 01-16-04, 04:21 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by Tsar Chasm
Courtney Cox Arquette sure looks VERY pregnant in that episode.
Is she supposed to?
Old 01-16-04, 04:23 PM

Originally posted by jaeufraser
Ugh...clip shows. The reason why the final Seinfeld was...such a let down. I mean...seriously. If they try this crap with the final episode on Friends...that will be annoying.
What the hell are you talking about? The final episode of Seinfeld wasn't a clip show. The had a going-away special with clips and outtakes, but that wasn't the final episode.
Old 01-16-04, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by Shannon Nutt
It amazes me that sitcoms STILL do clip shows at all. Clips shows made sense in the days prior to home video, since it was the only way to see your favorite scenes again - but considering the fact that shows are recorded, syndicated and on DVD, it makes NO sense to do clip shows anymore...it's just laziness by the writers!

Attention FRIENDS writers...we've already seen this stuff 1000 times!!! The commericals are newer to us!
Excellent point. "Friends" is on half a dozen times daily in my area. Clips shows reveal how very little today's characters resemble the characters of the first season.

Chandler & Monica should sublet that apartment. I think I remember an episode that revealed it was rent-controlled, so they should be able to get twice what they pay. That would help with the Westchester mortgage!
Old 01-16-04, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
I seem to remember the final episode of Seinfeld as a clip show bookended by a few minutes of new footage at the beginning and at the end.
Old 01-16-04, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
At least when the Simpsons had a clip show, the song at the end had the lyrics "sorry for the clip show" from the writers!
Old 01-16-04, 05:37 PM

Originally posted by sinned
I seem to remember the final episode of Seinfeld as a clip show bookended by a few minutes of new footage at the beginning and at the end.
Nope. It was an hour long episode in which George and Jerry got called back into NBC and were told their sitcom "Jerry" would be put on the air. They were given use of the network's private jet to go on one last "fling". On route to Paris, their plane almost crashed. They landed somewhere in Massachusetts where they witnessed a fat guy have his car stolen. They were then arrested and charged with violating the "good samaritan" law because they did not help the man in trouble. There was an ensuing trial in which Jackie was the attorney and all the former guest stars were summoned as character witnesses. The show ended with
Spoiler:
the foursome sentenced to 1 year in prison together.
Old 01-16-04, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: The Quad-city area of Melonville, Meckling, the Boro of Melon, and Party Town
Originally posted by taa455
Nope. It was an hour long episode in which George and Jerry got called back into NBC and were told their sitcom "Jerry" would be put on the air. They were given use of the network's private jet to go on one last "fling". On route to Paris, their plane almost crashed. They landed somewhere in Massachusetts where they witnessed a fat guy have his car stolen. They were then arrested and charged with violating the "good samaritan" law because they did not help the man in trouble. There was an ensuing trial in which Jackie was the attorney and all the former guest stars were summoned as character witnesses. The show ended with
Spoiler:
the foursome sentenced to 1 year in prison together.
Little bit of internet history:

The Seinfeld finale was one of the most closely guarded secrets in TV history. They did a great job keeping it hush, for a number of reasons. Plenty of speculation/guesses/rumors, but none turned out to be right.

Until the morning of the broadcast. Some guy posted out of the blue (forget if it was on Usenet or on a Seinfeld BBS) a synopsis of the actual finale that was like 95% correct. I think the only thing he got wrong was why they initally got on the plane. But the post was pretty much ignored (since it didn't get a single response and I never saw it copied or reposted anywhere else). I think I was the only person to reply, and that was the morning after, to congratulate the poster on his scoop.....
Old 01-16-04, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts
Wait. you're both right!
There was a half-hour (or more like a forty minute) clip show that immediately preceded the (largely awful) series finale.

Back to Friends: I strongly doubt there's ever been a TV show inhistory with more clip episodes than this one. They've been doing one a year for the past few seasons. Can anyone get the actual number we're up to now?

To get paid $1 Million for a 22 minute episode is obscene; to get it for half an episode is ridiculous.
Old 01-16-04, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
but the trial in the seinfeld finale had a lot of clips for the characters that showed up.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.