Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Adult DVD Reviews | Video Game Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 12-05-03, 11:43 AM   #1
B5Erik
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Who is skipping the "new" Battlestar Galactica?

As much as I HATE all the massive and needless changes to the mythology of the original Battlestar Galactica, I have this odd desire to actually watch this train wreck.

Then again, I'm so pissed that they changed almost everything that I loved about the original series that I just can't bring myself to watch it, not even just to see just how big of a train wreck it is.

I won't be watching.

How many of you will NOT be watching this "reimagining" of BG?

I guess it's true - If you want something done right you've got to do it yourself.
Old 12-05-03, 01:50 PM   #2
balancer
Suspended

Wasn't the original a 'train wreck' ?
Old 12-05-03, 01:56 PM   #3
das Monkey
DVD Talk Hero

If by "watching" you mean, sending a nasty letter to Hammer and Jackson informing them just where they can stick this series, then yes ... I'll be watching.

das

You are not entitled to your own opinion. You are only entitled to your own informed opinion. -- Harlan Ellison quoting Gustave Flaubert
Old 12-05-03, 02:04 PM   #4
Wizdar
DVD Talk Limited Edition

But -- but -- but -- TVGiude liked it

[only das can read] You're not going to obtain it by other means? [/only das can read]
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. -- Unknown
Old 12-05-03, 02:09 PM   #5
das Monkey
DVD Talk Hero

Well, I never!!! How dare you ... *huff*

das

[only Wizdar can read]I'd say that's a safe bet.[/only Wizdar can read]

You are not entitled to your own opinion. You are only entitled to your own informed opinion. -- Harlan Ellison quoting Gustave Flaubert
Old 12-05-03, 02:16 PM   #6
Wizdar
DVD Talk Limited Edition

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. -- Unknown
Old 12-05-03, 02:56 PM   #7
mikehunt
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
I'm going to watch it, but not consider it to be BG, just a sci-fi space show
Old 12-05-03, 03:32 PM   #8
Rogue588
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
But -- but -- but -- the Cylons are new and improved with BOOBIES!!

| owned | desired | ditchin' | listen Wednesday 10p |
Old 12-05-03, 11:46 PM   #9
bboisvert
DVD Talk Legend

I honestly haven't decided.

I may check out a few minutes here and there, just to confirm the obvious. (Read: that it sucks).

Then I'll watch my DVD set of the original show and dream about what could have been...
Old 12-06-03, 12:23 AM   #10
clemente
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've seen a few commercials, and because I never saw the original and thus have no strong feelings for it, I really think this version would be something I would definately watch........but I'm not going to.

Hammer can have her outerspace show, the one I really want to watch isn't on the air anymore because of that idiot.
Old 12-06-03, 12:39 AM   #11
Charlie Goose
DVD Talk Legend

I may check out an episode or two, despite the fact that I thought the original was dreck.

Honk!
Old 12-06-03, 01:08 AM   #12
Joe Schmoe
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't get that channel, but if I did I wouldn't watch the new BG. I watched the preview of it on the BG DVD set, and I couldn't believe some of the changes: Boomer and Starbuck are now women? Cylons now look like humans? No, thanks. I liked the old characters and their relationships, and I loved the look of the old cylons; they didn't need updating.

The old series had a few horrific episodes, but it also had a few really good ones (storywise). I thought the best part of the old show was the look of it: the design of the costumes and ships. From the little bit I've seen, I don't like the production design of the new series (especially the white cylons).
Old 12-06-03, 02:47 AM   #13
B5Erik
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The original series had such a strong mythology and a fantastic backstory that when combined with solid production values (they couldn't have done ANY better back in '78) made for a very compelling and entertaining show. There was an overall story arc - which set the show apart from Star Trek - that made the viewer want to see how it would turn out in the end. There were also strong religious and spiritual overtones in the original series that made the show unique.

The new version has wiped out all of the mythology of the original, and completely changed the backstory. Combine that with changing Starbuck from a male to a female character and it's all just a slap in the face to the fans of the original series. I don't know why they would want to alienate the old audience considereing how good the ratings were back in '78, and how well the show did in syndication in the 80's.

They could have just picked up 20 years after the original left off and focused on new, younger characters while keeping the classic characters around in supporting roles (Apollo as commander, Boomer as Colonel, Starbuck as a general troublemaker). That's what most of the fans wanted. It would have worked.

But, egos being what they are, you had people who could not be content with just doing that. They had to reinvent the wheel and put their "stamp" on Battlestar Galactica. Well, at least we'll know who to blame for this mess.

I definitely won't watch this "version" of "Battlestar Galactica."

Come to think of it, some people involved in making this one said that if you're a big fan of the original you shouldn't watch it. So why even call it "Battlestar Galactica?" Isn't the point of remaking something to get some of the existing fans to watch it? As many as possible? So why do it in such a way that will piss off a huge number of those fans? This whole deal doesn't make sense.

I guess it's true - If you want something done right you've got to do it yourself.
Old 12-06-03, 05:24 AM   #14
Giantrobo
DVD Talk Hero

BTW, what was the original show's storyline? A planet blow up? Did they get lost?

I can't remember.
Old 12-06-03, 05:30 AM   #15
Alvis
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I think I'm going to rent the original pilot-movie. Can anyone confirm if it has the original television footage that was not in the subsequent vhs release?

My photoblog: http://meandalvis.blogspot.com
Old 12-06-03, 06:44 AM   #16
Buck Turgidson
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Originally posted by balancer
Wasn't the original a 'train wreck' ?
Precisely. I'm not sure what to expect from this (Ron Moore's name buys it a lot of room from me), but it can't be worse than Glen Larceny's pile of half-witted castoff ideas.

I caught several of the original series eps recently during the Bonniethon and was amazed that they were even worse than I remembered. Nice effects and production design and some fine looking women, but that's about it.
Old 12-06-03, 08:09 AM   #17
Tom Campbell
Suspended

I used to be a big Battlestar fan when I was a kid. As an adult, however, all the flaws in the acting, writing, design, etc. of the series just stand out far too much for me to enjoy it.

I don't have high hopes for the new version, but I'll watch on the off chance that it actually is any good.
Old 12-06-03, 08:30 AM   #18
RichardW
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Cylons look like humans? Starbuck and Boomer are women? WTF happened?
Old 12-06-03, 11:13 AM   #19
B5Erik
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally posted by Giantrobo
BTW, what was the original show's storyline? A planet blow up? Did they get lost?

I can't remember.
The humans, after hundreds of years of war with the Cylons, are duped into a "peace treaty" with them ("Peace in our time"), and the 12 colonies of man are virtually wiped out on the eve of signing the treaty. With most of the military obliterated by the sneak attack the remaining humans board the last 220 civilian ships and are led by the last remaining battlestar (think "aircraft carrier in space"), the Galactica, in a quest for a new homeworld far from the Cylon empire - the "mythical" lost 13th tribe of man on the planet Earth. They are hunted by the Cylons as they try to find Earth.

Thats the gist of it, anyway.

Old 12-06-03, 12:11 PM   #20
BizRodian
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Never interested in the old one, not interested in the new one.
Old 12-06-03, 01:58 PM   #21
Darren Garrison
Needs to provide a working email

As long as they keep the robot Benji, it can't be bad.

Last edited by Darren Garrison; 12-06-03 at 02:02 PM.
Old 12-06-03, 03:03 PM   #22
Londo

Quote:
Originally posted by RichardW
Cylons look like humans? Starbuck and Boomer are women? WTF happened?
The mentality that 'SF is not about aliens, spaceships and explosions'.. the same mentality that cancelled Farscape, cancelled The Invisible Man, cancelled The Chronicle... even tho they had good ratings and demographics.. it didn't fit "the image" that SlyLi wanted to project..

a network that dosen't care about it's core viewers, has no concept what SciFi (see: Braveheart) is and is run by penny pinchers that will blow a ton on Cattle-Car ExLaxitia... and cheap out on everything else.....

... you know... Morons.
Old 12-06-03, 03:15 PM   #23
Groucho

I'll give it a shot. They've been replaying the original series...what a reminder that it blew goats. You can only go up from that POS.

"The Borg is a species" -- Tracer Bullet (Citation)
Old 12-06-03, 03:54 PM   #24
mikehunt
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
about the cyclons, spoiler from the special sci-fi had the other week
Spoiler:
they aren't all human looking. the girl is more of an infiltrator, think T800 from Terminator. on the special they had they showed art work for the robot versions which will have guns built into their arms
Old 12-06-03, 11:22 PM   #25
mrcoaster

I'm watching it. Well, Tivo-ing it. I'm a fan of the original series and I'm not thrilled with some of the changes, but I'm going to check the new mini-series out and consider it on it's own. It's greatness or crappage won't have any effect on the original series' eps no matter what happens. I hope it's ok, but I'm not holding my breath.
Sponsored Links