Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Buffy Season 4 question: Episode 14

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-03, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buffy Season 4 question: Episode 14

first of all, my question might be a SPOILER so don't read this thread if you that concerns you.

Ok, I just finished watching Buffy Season 4 on dvd, I hadn't seen any of these episodes since they first aired. Something in Episode 14 "Goodbye Iowa" really confuses me. I remember it confused me when it first aired, but I thought it would eventual be answered.......but I don't remember it ever being addressed. I missed a lot of Season 5 episodes, so maybe I missed something... I forgot all about it until rewatching teh series......

Here's my question:

In Chapter 10 of Episode 14 "Goodbye Iowa" (starting at 26:55)...
Why does Tara purposely screw up the demon locator spell that she and Willow were doing by hiding her potion under the bed instead of blowing it over the square on the floor like she was supposed to do?

I remember thinking at the time that Tara might not be 100% human, but unless it was in some Season 5 episode I missed, this was never explained. Or was it that she was just afraid to do a spell that powerful? seems lame..... Or did she just want to see if Willow was really only coming around to do spells with her?
I dunno....just confuses me.

Any thoughts?
Old 08-11-03, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It was in a season five episode called family, where Tara's father, brother and cousin come to get her because she's going to turn into a demon. She was afraid if the locator spell worked, Willow would have found out she's a demon.
Old 08-11-03, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Why does Tara purposely screw up the demon locator spell that she and Willow were doing by hiding her potion under the bed instead of blowing it over the square on the floor like she was supposed to do?
In Season 5's sixth episode entitled "Family", it's revealed that Tara believes she's part demon. But it turns out her family lied to her about it. She's 100% human, as evidenced when Spike's chip goes off after he tries to hit her.
Old 08-11-03, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks for the responses!

Good to know it was from one of the Season 5 episodes I missed and not something never explained.
Old 08-11-03, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,889 Posts
Huh. That never occurred to me.

I just sort assumed that Tara sabotaged the spell because she didn't want to help Willow in assisting her friends, out of a sort of jealousy thing -- wanting Will all to herself.

Either that, or she wasn't yet comfortable using powerful magicks with Willow at that point in their relationship, though she would later do so in "Who Are You?" Even in WAY, she was apprehensive about doing the spell.