Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Which 'Friends' Complete Season is the Best?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-03, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not sure if something similar was previously posted, but for the first time I'm thinking of getting one of the complete seasons of Friends on DVD, as these sets are selling at less than $30, I think. What is the best amongst the 4 seasons of Friends currently available? I am leaning towards the second season. Is there one that stands out amongst the available seasons? Thanks!
Old 07-09-03, 11:24 PM

I think so far season 2 is far and away the best.
Old 07-10-03, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think 2 might be one of the funnier ones out, but I suggest buying all 4 of the ones out (4th is released July 15) and watch them from beginning to end. They are pretty cheap season sets and will provide tons of laughs. Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-10-03, 11:36 AM

Oh, I just saw in the DVD Bargains thread, that Best Buy has a sale for week of July 13 for all box sets for total of $84.96! With rebates of from $5 or $10 off, that will bring the price to at around $80 for 4 sets or $20 each! So I'll definitely consider grabbing all sets next week!
Old 07-10-03, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
I think you'll have to wait for Season 5.

Season 5 was like the REBIRTH of the Friends franchise and by this time, all the cast members had found their characters and their timing was down pat.

It's the season where Chandler and Monica try to keep their releationship a secret, and it sets up some hilarious set-pieces.

It also features my favorite episode of all time, The One Where Everybody Finds Out.

Classic.

Season 2 is close behind.
Old 07-10-03, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,502 Posts
Season 5 and 6 are the ones they're showing the most of on TV right now. My wife and I never got to watch the show, and now are Tivoing it. I always see the ones where either they're hiding their relationship (Monica and Chandler) or they've just gotten married. Though there is one airing that is of the first season or so.

Which is the season where Monica is working in that diner? I can't stand those episodes...

20 bucks per set... that's a great deal. What kind of rebates do they have, though? Is it a BB rebate?
Old 07-10-03, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by fujishig
20 bucks per set... that's a great deal. What kind of rebates do they have, though? Is it a BB rebate?
The season 3 set has a mail-in rebate worth $10 if you buy season 3 along with either season 1 or 2 by August 1.

It's not a BB rebate, it's a Warner rebate, so it should be good for any store that sells the sets.
Old 07-10-03, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,035 Posts
Which is the season where Monica is working in that diner? I can't stand those episodes...
Season 3, I believe. Because that's where she meets Jon Faverau's character.
Old 07-10-03, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Draven
Season 3, I believe. Because that's where she meets Jon Faverau's character.
You are correct on both counts.
Old 07-11-03, 01:55 AM

Those set of episodes and the rest of season 3 rival this past season as the worst one yet. Nothing of any importance happened in season 3, it was like episode after episode of nothing.
Old 07-11-03, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Seasons 4 and 5 are the best IMO.
Old 07-11-03, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by MFRONE
Those set of episodes and the rest of season 3 rival this past season as the worst one yet. Nothing of any importance happened in season 3, it was like episode after episode of nothing.
How can you say nothing of importance happens in season 3? This is the season that Ross and Rachel first break up. It's the infamous "we were on a break" season, which is repeatedly talked about in every season since then.
Old 07-13-03, 01:07 AM

I've always liked Friends. But I have not been able to follow these guys season to season. So I do get to see only snippets of this and that episode. Now that I'm thinking of getting the first four seasons of Friends, it has gotten me 'worked up' with finding some stuff on Friends. I checked their website (http://www2.warnerbros.com/friendstv/index.html), and am surprised at how good their site is, with clips and episode summaries! Also, it got me to thinking of the Entertainment Weekly issue sometime back when they also had a whole issue about Friends. I scrounged my stuff, as I do subscribe to EW, and am happy that I still have that issue! I didn't even read this the time I got it (Fall 2001 Special collector issue)! So I surely am looking forward to the purchase next week! Cheap thrills, ha!

Last edited by DVDGamer; 07-13-03 at 01:29 AM.
Old 07-14-03, 04:00 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Guys, which is the episode where Ross whiten his teeth so white that it glows under the florescent light?
Old 07-14-03, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by DVDGamer
I've always liked Friends. But I have not been able to follow these guys season to season. So I do get to see only snippets of this and that episode. Now that I'm thinking of getting the first four seasons of Friends, it has gotten me 'worked up' with finding some stuff on Friends. I checked their website (http://www2.warnerbros.com/friendstv/index.html), and am surprised at how good their site is, with clips and episode summaries! Also, it got me to thinking of the Entertainment Weekly issue sometime back when they also had a whole issue about Friends. I scrounged my stuff, as I do subscribe to EW, and am happy that I still have that issue! I didn't even read this the time I got it (Fall 2001 Special collector issue)! So I surely am looking forward to the purchase next week! Cheap thrills, ha!
You may want to pick up all four at Best Buy if you do so. I believe a thread in the DVD Bargains forums had where you could get all 4 for 75 bucks after rebates.

Edit: The thread is here. And you also have to include a 10 dollar rebate in the S3 box set for the final 75 buck total.

Last edited by DGibFen; 07-14-03 at 08:17 PM.
Old 07-14-03, 09:32 PM

Yap. I did mention this in an earlier reply in this same thread. Now my question is, with Fry's offering the 4th season for $24.99 (valid till Tuesday only), will I still be able to price match and do the promo to get an additional $5 off?
Old 07-15-03, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,502 Posts
I doubt they would let you pricematch, since you're getting 40 bucks off as it is. I bought all four today, and they take the price equally off of all 4, so Season 4 shows up as 20 dollars... which is technically cheaper than Fry's price. Still, YMMV.

Anyway, this is a killer deal at BB... ironically, Season 3 was the most expensive one (though it does come with the coupon) and so far seems to be the worst according to this thread. I thought they would gouge me on Season 4, which was marked at 36.99 and had no listed price on the ad, but it's only 29.99 as well.

I got an old season 1 box... the price was still marked at 59.99! Man, I'm glad these went down in price...
Old 07-16-03, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i am currently watching season 4 and loving it. while i agree the whole chandler/monica thing in season 5 was great, S4 has some standout shows too. TOW Chandler in a box, and TOW all the embryos were great. the whole chandler/kathy storyline was great. paget brewster =
Old 07-17-03, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by vhgong
Guys, which is the episode where Ross whiten his teeth so white that it glows under the florescent light?
That's somewhere in Season 6 I think. Where Chandler goes, "Where are all the men????" Can't remember the episode title though.
Old 07-17-03, 12:30 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by vhgong
That would be:

Ep. 608, The One With Ross's Teeth

Phoebe visits Rachel at work and makes out with Kenny the copy boy, thinking it's Ralph Lauren. She tells Rachel, who gossips to her boss (Kim), who eventually becomes convinced that Rachel is having an affair with Ralph Lauren in order to get Kim's job. Ross goes too far when he whitens his teeth in preparation for a date with Hillary, Monica's co-worker. Chandler tries to convince Joey that he's letting Janine make him and the apartment too girly.
Old 07-18-03, 12:03 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Great, thanks for the info. Now i have to wait till it comes out on DVD!!
Old 07-19-03, 11:55 AM

How often do they release a new season for Friends? DVDs are in their 4th season, while current season is already the 10th(?) If they release one per year, looks like its going to take a while b4 we get up to date with the dvds! Hopefully more new shows are released soon after the season is over, like the 24 Series which is available even before they start with the new season.
Old 07-19-03, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

IIRC, they are releasing them at the rate of 2/yr, at the minimum.
Old 07-19-03, 09:30 PM

Well, they have already released 2 this year, April and July, so expect another one in the fall and one in early 2004.
Old 07-20-03, 04:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Can't pick a favorite season, but my favorite episode is "The One With the Routine."

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.