Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

So, who's gonna watch the new TNN shows tonight?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Will you be watching?
I'm tuning in
55.00%
I'm tuning out
45.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-03, 05:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So at 10pm we got Ren and Stimpy, then it's Gary the Rat followed by Stripperella.

I'll be watching, just to see how funny or unfunny these shows are.
Old 06-26-03, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As long as they are not up against the Man Show or Adult Swim, I will be turning on the TV! Glad they are doing them on Thursday night.

(Isn't that the night Adult Swim originated on???)
Old 06-26-03, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

DirecTiVo locked and loaded for the entire block

Don't forget the original Ren & Stimpy shows are part of this, too. They air at 11:30, right after Stripperella.
Old 06-26-03, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
Just set up the ReplayTV to catch them.
Old 06-26-03, 08:18 PM
mwj

I'm not interested yet. I will wait for some of the reviews of the early adopters.
Old 06-26-03, 08:40 PM
Banned

Why not?

There ain't **** else on tonight, and I've been reading about these freaking cartoons in USA Today all day. I don't see myself watching "Stripperella" instead of The Daily Show regularly, but I think TDS is in repeats this week, so I'll give it a shot. Sorry Ren&Stimpy, you're going up against Family Guy.
Old 06-26-03, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Ren and Stimpy in less then 10.
Old 06-26-03, 09:09 PM
Banned

Well, I watched the Ren & Stimpy train wreck until the first commercial. Don't they realize that envelope pushing isn't funny in and of itself? Sad really. Not a single attempt at humor, just "let's see how shocking we can be." I'm sure this will appeal to some people, although I'm not sure if you can get the New TNN in trailer parks.

I'll be back for Gary the Rat. I have higher expectations for that.

On a side note, our digital cable system still has the guitar logo on the info bar.
Old 06-26-03, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I miss the old Ren and Stimpy, this new version is pretty unappealing. Hopefully it doesn't ruin the orginal for me.

I agree with Bust, being shocking just to be shocking doesn't make for good tv.
Old 06-26-03, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

You know, there is really no need to remind us the characters are gay every five seconds and the gross out factor was pretty high for no reason other then to simply show it and get a reaction.

No sir, I did not like it.
Old 06-26-03, 09:30 PM

ren and stimpy tonight was really disappointing. no story or plot to speak of, and hardly any dialogue. mainly overlong visual gags that were either lame and boring or trying way to hard to shock people.

at least the originals are gonna start airing again
Old 06-26-03, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

their was a story...

Ren gets tired of living in some homeless guys mouth...

so they move to a spatoon in some bar

they eat snot and other things spit in there

they get kicked out and go back to the homeless guys mouth

ren comes out of some guys ass and kicks a nut sack

Comedy gold if you ask me..
Old 06-26-03, 09:43 PM

ouch
Old 06-26-03, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The new Ren & Stimpy is horrible, nothing but scatological humor. At least the old episodes were fast-paced and had a bit of a satirical bite to them.
Old 06-26-03, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

atleast the classics are on at 11:30 so from futurama on CN to Ren and stimply on TNN.
Old 06-26-03, 10:56 PM
Banned

Well, I have to say that I think Gary the Rat and Stripperella were both entertaining shows. Plots/stories in both shows were very weak if even necessary, but there were enough ACTUALLY funny things to keep me watching.

We even got a "s4!t" out of Kelsey Grammer!!

Did anyone think there were a LOT of commercials during these shows? Maybe it was normal, but it seemed excessive to me.

Did anyone get a semi during the strip scenes at the beginning of Stripperella?
Old 06-26-03, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I missed Ren & Stimpy adult and The Rat due to more important things but caught the end of Striperella.. looking at the comments though it looks like Adult Swim keeps the crown.
Old 06-26-03, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i have never seen anything on TNN, ive flipped channels back when they were a country channel, but i don't plan on watching that network.
Old 06-27-03, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk God

Stripperella was okay. It has some promise.

The New Ren & Stimpy and Gary the Rat were simply horrible. I did not laugh once during Gary the Rat.
Old 06-27-03, 08:01 AM
razorbackfan

The New Ren & Stimpy ... what the hell was that???????

Absolutely awful.
Old 06-27-03, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Holy crap. I couldn't have been more excited for Ren & Stimpy... and I couldn't have been more disappointed at what I saw.

Wow...

Wow.

That was bad. That made the non-John K. episodes from Nick look brilliant. Jeez, what the hell was he thinking? Note to John -- eating boogers isn't funny in and of itself. And 20 minutes of eating boogers isn't funny EVER.

Wow. I can't get over how unfunny and bad that was. The direct comparison when they aired the fantastic "Space Madness" episode at 11:30 just made it all the more evident.
Old 06-27-03, 09:22 AM

Originally posted by Excelesor
i have never seen anything on TNN, ive flipped channels back when they were a country channel, but i don't plan on watching that network.
WHAT!!! You mean you've never heard of slam ball??!!! Well, atleast they have Takeshi's Castle, or whatever they're calling it now.... That one is funny as helll.
Old 06-27-03, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I’ve seen maybe a couple R&S episodes, long time ago. Wasn’t at all impressed with the style of humor. Seeing comments from fans who are disappointed is interesting. I guess I’m not the only one who thought the gross-out factor was way over the top.

Gary had its moments. Maybe. Stripperella – I can see the appeal to the slightly post-pubescent crowd – possibly has some promise.

What I couldn’t tolerate was the extreme banner ads before the overabundance of commercial breaks. It’s a glimpse of the future of TV, and it stinks.
Originally posted by Bust
We even got a "s4!t" out of Kelsey Grammer!!
About the only positive thing that happened last night.
Old 06-27-03, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

The overload of ad's was bad. but man.. Ren and stimpy was god awful.. the horror the horror.
Old 06-27-03, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Wizdar

What I couldn’t tolerate was the extreme banner ads before the overabundance of commercial breaks. It’s a glimpse of the future of TV, and it stinks.

NBC was the originator of this practice (inserting upcoming 10 pm show promos into 9 pm shows). Granted, not to the extent seen last night on TNN but it was still very invasive.

Heck, you should have seen what MTV did the other night on The Real World - they had a constant promo (that scrolled and changed colors) in the upper right hand corner saying that a new episode of The Osbournes was coming up next, and when I say constant, I mean during the entire RW episode (except for commercials of course).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.