Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Eliza Dushku's Tru Calling: not long for this world?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-03, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Here is a link to a few spoiler filled reviews of Eliza Dushku's new series. http://www.aintitcoolnews.com/display.cgi?id=15483

While this show is obviously in a suicide time slot, I doubt a series with Faith riding a motorcycle would have gone over any better. I hope it finds an audience, as I really do wish to get all the Eliza eye cand I can.
Old 06-25-03, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
Good or bad, I give it a month. FOX has little patience with poor performers.
Old 06-25-03, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Plus, they sort of killed the idea of a Faith series with the series finale/resolution of Buffy last month.
Old 06-25-03, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Patman
Plus, they sort of killed the idea of a Faith series with the series finale/resolution of Buffy last month.
How would they have done that? Faith could still travel from town to town, kind of a drifter, and take out big bads in smaller areas. She could also come across rogue slayers like she used to be and have some catfights!
Old 06-25-03, 07:25 PM
mwj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Considering how much I dislike the last two seasons of Buffy, maybe it's just as well they let it end. I wish Eliza good luck on this project because with that timeslot she is going to need it.
Old 06-25-03, 08:28 PM

Originally posted by Dr. DVD
Faith could still travel from town to town, kind of a drifter, and take out big bads in smaller areas. She could also come across rogue slayers like she used to be and have some catfights!
From the interviews I've read, that's pretty much what the concept was: Faith, a motorcycle, the open road, and the ghost of Spike.

I think the Tru Calling show would have a chance on a cable network, the WB, or UPN, but Fox? No way. I'm betting it'll last out the season (possibly with a timeslot change or two along the way), but won't come back for number two.
Old 06-25-03, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, she will need luck. Fox might as well take the show outback and put a bullet in its brain right now. I just hope she can bounce back from the damage.

While a Faith series would have been nice, it ended well for her character. It looked as though she finally found somebody to love her for real who isn't evil and knows to give her respect. She got a case of Jungle Fever it seems.
Old 06-25-03, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
"Faith the Vampire Slayer" isn't that special since there are so many slayers now. They have diluted the franchise.
Old 06-25-03, 09:15 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm interested, but I won't get too attached. This show is toast.... it's up against Threat Matrix for crying out loud!
Old 06-25-03, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Shouldn't this be in TV Talk?

Edited to add: Oops, it is. I thought I was in the Other Forum. Sorry.

Old 06-25-03, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I saw the pilot to about a week ago. It is a pretty entertaining show. It isn't the best pilot I've seen so far this year, but it is one of the better ones.
Old 06-26-03, 08:03 AM

How would they have done that? Faith could still travel from town to town, kind of a drifter, and take out big bads in smaller areas. She could also come across rogue slayers like she used to be and have some catfights!
Get her an indian sidekick.........

HeSHE was a copSLAYER, and good at hisHER job. But then heSHE committed the ultimate sin, and testified against other copsSTRUCK OUT AGAINST OTHER SLAYERS gone bad. CopsSLAYERS who tried to kill himHER, but got the woman MAN woman MANWOMAN heSHE loved instead. Framed for murder, now heSHE prowls the badlands. An outlaw hunting outlaws, a bounty hunter, a RENEGADESLAYER!
Old 06-26-03, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's a shame Eliza is probably going to waste away in failed TV shows and and straight to video movies.
She really does have some acting skills, especially in her two part stint in Buffy S4. The dream scenes with Buffy hunting her really show that she is a tormented being with lots of fear, and generates legit sympathy for a bad guy (she was one at the time).
Old 06-26-03, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,880 Posts
If Tru Calling flops, I'm hoping that a Faith series will eventually emerge.

Just call the series FAITH, not FAITH THE VAMPIRE SLAYER.

And no Robin Wood, either.

I'd prefer a small cast with a few recurring characters. The problem is, if she's traveling around on a motorcycle, a large cast would turn it into a gang of bikers. A ghost sidekick wouldn't be a bad idea, because that way, the ghost could just appear and not need a bike.
Old 06-28-03, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here are some pics, for those interested.

Old 06-30-03, 08:26 PM

I watched the supposed Pilot episode last night. I kinda like the show Tru Calling but I don't know if I'd watch a whole season of it.
Old 06-30-03, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by jkingfish
Get her an indian sidekick.........

HeSHE was a copSLAYER, and good at hisHER job. But then heSHE committed the ultimate sin, and testified against other copsSTRUCK OUT AGAINST OTHER SLAYERS gone bad. CopsSLAYERS who tried to kill himHER, but got the woman MAN woman MANWOMAN heSHE loved instead. Framed for murder, now heSHE prowls the badlands. An outlaw hunting outlaws, a bounty hunter, a RENEGADESLAYER!

Eliza's extremely hot, but "Tru Calling" sounds lame. Hopefully it won't be. If Jessica Alba couldn't keep me watching "Dark Angel" then Eliza won't be able to keep me interested in a sucky show.
Old 07-01-03, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Eliza was the hottest girl on Buffy, she needs her own show.
Old 07-01-03, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The above photo was most likely the Faith series in a nutshell. Looks like she might be paying homage to her on-screen daddy from True Lies.
From what I have read, it would be little more than a female version of Mad Max meets Renegade.
Old 07-02-03, 07:57 PM

Originally posted by Josh-da-man
If Tru Calling flops, I'm hoping that a Faith series will eventually emerge.

Just call the series FAITH, not FAITH THE VAMPIRE SLAYER.

And no Robin Wood, either.

I'd prefer a small cast with a few recurring characters. The problem is, if she's traveling around on a motorcycle, a large cast would turn it into a gang of bikers. A ghost sidekick wouldn't be a bad idea, because that way, the ghost could just appear and not need a bike.
I'd like to see it called "Faith the Slayer". Just plain "Faith" kinda makes it sound like it belongs on PAX. I don't know if I'd care for a "Faith on a motorcycle" series if it involved her riding from town to town, kicking demon ass, like some kind of sexy female Richard Kimble. It would be too episodic and as you said, if the show were to have some kind of supporting cast, it would end up being a gang of bikers. Ugh.

On the other hand, if they meant "Faith on a motorcycle", as in, that's her method of transportation in the city she now lives in, I could dig that.
Old 07-03-03, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Saw this a couple weeks ago. On the good side, it wasn't nearly as stupid as I thought it would be based on the premise. I guess when you really think about it, it's really no worse than vampire slayers or transgenic rebels, or super secret agents and whatnot.

The bad side is that at the end of this episode, which presumably is the pilot, I had absolutely no desire to see the next episode. As others have mentioned there's a blend of a lot of elements from other shows/movies, but for me it never really gelled.

None of the characters were particularly memorable and I can barely remember the plot which isn't a good sign considering how recently I saw the show. I do remember being disappointed by the pretty obvious plot devices and weak twists, though.

Obviously the worth of a series can't be measured by a single episode, but unless word of mouth on this show gets really good at some point, I probably won't be watching it again.
Old 07-03-03, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If this show fails to garner super ratings with its first episode, Fox will yank it immediately, as it seem to have little patience with newbies nowadays. (Thank god it wasn't that way when X-Files began.)
That said, most series do deserve it. Girl's Club being the best example.
Old 07-03-03, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I might check this show out in the fall, but I can't see it surviving (even if it is good). With the timeslot the show is in, it is pretty much set to get cancelled.
Old 07-04-03, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by belboz
which presumably is the pilot, I had absolutely no desire to see the next episode.
yeah sort of the same thing for me.. Saw the pilot also and I don't think it would be a spoiler at all to say one of the things she does is run everywhere.. Oh no... need to get to that ----> part of the city.. run run run... Oh no need to go back here <---- run run run run

Ok they mention she is a an ex track star but over all that is just a DUMB thing to have in a show. Even if on some level making chicks run alot for no reason was the foundation Baywatch was built on. heh

but if it was anyone other then Dushku in the lead I would never even want to watch another ep the show. Sooooooo I'm guessing if one is not a fan of her from Buffy they are not going to give this show a chance. Throw in it being on a network who cancels stuff quick, not sure it can last longer then one season.

Still, not sure the idea of Faith as a show works.. I mean Buffy sort of worked off the power of the over all cast. Not sure, no makter how much of a bad ass she might be, just Faith rolling around beating stuff up makes a show.. Errrr but then I'm not a network exec so who knows what they are willing to throw $$$ at.
Old 07-12-03, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Eliza Dushku? Always worth a watch.