Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

How does standard DirecTV look on a 16x9 projection HDTV?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

How does standard DirecTV look on a 16x9 projection HDTV?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-03, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Draven
Which one did you end up going with?
I picked the Toshiba 51H83

--wanted to pick from the best-reviewed list of Toshiba, Hitachi, or Mitsubishi.
--wanted DVI (which eliminated Mits)
--Hitachi is very scarce in my area. I feel more comfortable buying from a store than online for this big of a purchase.
--wanted a TV with good 4x3 to 16x9 conversion

This model has

Improved IDSC-Pro (Intelligent Digital Scan Conversion) progressive-scan upconversion system with user-selectable 540p/1080i display and 3-2 pulldown, along with CableClear digital noise reduction, significantly improve the quality of broadcast signals
Best Buy had this unit hooked up to an antenna and the picture looked good. I would expect DirecTV to be at least 2-3 levels higher in picture quality over an antenna.
Old 06-30-03, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,032 Posts
Niiiiiiiice.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it
Old 06-30-03, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hooray for Chew! Welcome to the bigscreen TV club; you'll never go back.
Old 06-30-03, 09:40 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
You suck, I am waiting and waiting to pull the trigger on a WS tv.
Been looking at a 27" for the last 5 years.

But seriously congrats, when I was looking I thought the Toshiba had the best pic by far, and the demo they had was a james dean concert, the sweat was dripping on to the floor it was that good.

I may just wait and get a plasma this christmas, the other thing I am waiting for is the HD Directivo, which is supposed to be out for the holidays.
Old 07-01-03, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Why would a standard channel look any worse on a big screen HDTV versus on a non-HDTV? Isn't the HDTV capable of everything a non-HDTV is plus?

Or are you talking more about stretching a 4x3 image to fit a 16x9? What are the reasons to stretch rather than watching 4x3 sources as 4x3?
Old 07-01-03, 05:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The reason it wouldn't look as good is because it amplifies the imperfections of the source. On a standard analog TV, which is smaller, you don't notice it. On a screen that's twice the size and digital, you will.

As for 4x3 to 16x9, I guess two issues: why waste the screen? Also, some models can cause burn-in on the sides when you watch 4x3 all the time.
Old 07-01-03, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

On my Mits 55807 the 4x3 image comes up in a different place each time (slightly off center) and has gray bars to avoid burn-in.

I tried the progressive stretched mode for awhile but I didn't like what it did to the picture when the camera moved. I watch some 4x3 programs in normal mode (fills the 16x9 screen) and others in pillar box mode. It depends on how picky I feel about keeping the aspect ratio correct - on some programs it's more critical than others.

Up until a few months ago I only watched DVDs and OTA SD programs, so now that I have DirecTV, it looks pretty good to me.
Old 07-01-03, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Chew
The reason it wouldn't look as good is because it amplifies the imperfections of the source. On a standard analog TV, which is smaller, you don't notice it. On a screen that's twice the size and digital, you will.

As for 4x3 to 16x9, I guess two issues: why waste the screen? Also, some models can cause burn-in on the sides when you watch 4x3 all the time.
Thanks. I was thrown off a little by the mention of how the signal would look specifically on a big screen HDTV.

It would look just as good/poor on a big screen HDTV as it would a non-HDTV correct? For example, the same DirecTV signal on a 65" non-HDTV and a 65" HDTV would look the same.. the fact you are watching it on a HDTV doesn't make it look any worse.

How do the stretch modes for 4x3 sources to 16x9 actually look? I have never seen one but am a OAR person so would be hesitant to do so unless there is a reason for myself.
Old 07-03-03, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by abintra
It would look just as good/poor on a big screen HDTV as it would a non-HDTV correct? For example, the same DirecTV signal on a 65" non-HDTV and a 65" HDTV would look the same.. the fact you are watching it on a HDTV doesn't make it look any worse.
That I wouldn't know. I've never seen it on a normal big-screen TV

Originally posted by abintra
How do the stretch modes for 4x3 sources to 16x9 actually look? I have never seen one but am a OAR person so would be hesitant to do so unless there is a reason for myself.
I think they look pretty good actually. But, I was watching Episode 2 on HBO for a little while today. Phew! Taking a widescreen movie which HBO shapes to full-screen and then my TV takes that full-screen and shapes to widescreen. Now that doesn't look good.

So, after 2 days, here's the report: Wow! Everything looks awesome, even DirecTV.

Out-of-the-box, it was a different story though. The TV was set to 1080i, which I didn't know. Broadcasts looked like pure crap! I thought "what did I get myself into!". After a few hours, I set it to 540p and it was like night and day. The quality of the picture is nearly as good as my 4x3 set.

DVDs look awesome, and even sound a little better on the surround system too

Now I just have to wait until that Avia Home Theater DVD comes from DDD so I can get the whole system set-up properly.

I'm going to go finish up T2 now
Old 07-04-03, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Congrats on the purchase! You're in for loads of fun.