Reload this Page >

NEW V Miniseries Coming!

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

NEW V Miniseries Coming!

Old 06-13-03, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 142 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally posted by Grenadier
Sean Donovan was played by a young Nicky Katt, recently on Boston Public and in the film Insomnia. Wonder if he's interested in a flashback to the 80's?
I completely forgot Katt played Sean Donovan! It would be awesome if he came back and reprised the role.
Old 06-15-03, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts
What was the plot of V: The Final Battle? How did it end exactly and what did it do to give leadway for a TV series? Also, was the point of the conversion chamber to make humans sympathetic to the Visitor cause or to biologically alter them to be more like a visitor?

Also, was Michael Ironside one of the late additions to the cast? If so, I'll miss not having him as he is one of my favorite character actors.
Old 06-15-03, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 601 Likes on 486 Posts
Originally posted by Dr. DVD
What was the plot of V: The Final Battle? How did it end exactly and what did it do to give leadway for a TV series? Also, was the point of the conversion chamber to make humans sympathetic to the Visitor cause or to biologically alter them to be more like a visitor?

Also, was Michael Ironside one of the late additions to the cast? If so, I'll miss not having him as he is one of my favorite character actors.

VTFB is set a few months after the original V. Each of the three parts climaxes in the Resistance's attack on a specific target. The conversion chamber was used to brainwash humans to follow the directions of the Visitors (obviously was used on the Earth's leaders and scientists).

In Part 1, the Resistance successfully exposes the V leader, John, as an alien in a televised address. However, the next day, the Visitors are able to characterize it as a hoax, quite successfully.

In Part 2, the Resistance, with the help of Ham (Michael Ironside), a mercenary who knew Donovan from past military action, successfully destroy a Visitor water extraction plant. Also, Robin gives birth to the alien-human hybrid. She has 2 babies - 1 that is essentially human (named Elizabeth), except that it has a lizard toungue, and 1 that is completely lizard in appearance. Diana also learns that Martin is the leader of the Visitor 5th column, but he is able to escape the mother ship with Donovan (who had allowed himself to be captured in exchange for the Visitors to release his son).

In Part 3, the lizard baby dies from a mysterious bacteria that he had no defense against. The Resistance abducts the Visitor Brian (the one who impregnated Robin) in order to test the bacteria (now known as Red Dust). Robin is the one who exposes Brian to the red dust and kills him. Julie tests the red dust on herself to see if it is harmful to humans. It is not. The Resistance has found the weapon to defeat the Visitors. They plan a 3-pronged attack against the Vistors. They simultaneously attack the LA Mother Ship (since it can be used as a doomsday device), the Visitor HQ Embassy, plus they release Red Dust from hot air balloons all over the world. With the help of the 5th Columnists, it is a success. Diana triggers the doomsday device (after killing John) which is impossible to stop, but Elizabeth has some mysterious power which is able to stop the detonation.

VTFB ends with Diana fleeing in a shuttlecraft.

The Series picks up with Donovan going after Diana and capturing her immediately. Then it jumps ahead one year after that with the Visitors hiding out behind the moon planning their next step.

VTFB is very different from the original V. It is a more of basic us-vs-them tale of war. The facism elements of the original are pretty much gone. It is still entertaining, but not as good as the original.
Old 06-15-03, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks red dog!

Your little exposition about the series actually triggered some childhood playground memories. I recall playing "V" during recess with some friends; a few would be the humans and the rest would be visitors. I remember one time I got to play Donovan and this blonde girl in my class played Julie. The way the game went was basically that of tag. We'd run and if one got caught the player would be put into the conversion chamber (actually a jungle jim with an inner space, but you get the picture) until somebody managed to tag Diana (the soldiers were immune). I remember actually launching a successful sneak attack on Diana to free Julie right before the bell rang once. (I rock! )
The girl who played Julie moved away after second grade, and ironically enough, the one who played Diana went on to get into gothic stuff in High School and collect snakes and stuff.
Old 06-16-03, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by AGuyNamedMike

Uh...dude, she looks like someone punched her in the face a few times after she snorted some cocaine. It might be a better idea to let the lizard half show.

I just rented the original mini-series tonight to wax some nostalgia. Although it's been about ten years since I last viewed it and it has a lot of 80s cheese, it still stands as a good story. The press release got it wrong though; "V" stands for victory, not visitors. Then again, it might have a double meaning.
Old 06-16-03, 06:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Dr. DVD
Then again, it might have a double meaning.
I think it did have both meanings, depending on which side of the conflict you asked.
Old 06-16-03, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I suppose it depends on how you look at it.

Throughout the first mini, the only “V” we had reference to was “visitors.” Only at the end are we given the second meaning.

However, the title sequence clearly relates to that scene.
Old 06-16-03, 12:35 PM

Originally posted by Wizdar

Throughout the first mini, the only “V” we had reference to was “visitors.” Only at the end are we given the second meaning.

However, the title sequence clearly relates to that scene.
You mean the end of the very first episode (part 1 of 2) of the mini-series when Daniel's Grandfather spraypaints "V" on the poster...
Old 06-16-03, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Spooky
You mean the end of the very first episode (part 1 of 2) of the mini-series when Daniel's Grandfather spraypaints "V" on the poster...

...yes, for Victory!
Old 06-16-03, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Red Dog
Great to see Kenneth Johnson back at the helm.
Thanks. I do my best.
Old 06-16-03, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Spooky
You mean the end of the very first episode (part 1 of 2)...
Hmmm. Caught me sleeping again.
Old 06-16-03, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Let's not all get our hopes up, since this script has yet to be written and approved before anything else can go through. I just hope Warner Bros. does a better job of resurrecting this series than they did their Superman franchise.
Old 07-14-06, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 601 Likes on 486 Posts
Was on the Kenneth Johnson website - the screenplay is done and it implies that this may go direct-to-DVD.
http://www.kennethjohnson.us/V-News.html

Also, there is a novel based on the screenplay that is due out early next year.
http://www.kennethjohnson.us/VNovel.html
Old 07-14-06, 08:37 AM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts
Would love to see this materialize in some way, shape or form.
Old 07-14-06, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's been three years since we've seen this thread. Some things just don't move very fast in Hollywood. (like: where's the Band of Brothers sequel?)
Old 07-14-06, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the update... I'll definitely give that novel a read, just out of curiosity. Hey, I can post in Book Talk!
Old 07-14-06, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Dang, it has been over three years and I was the last person to post on this thread until today. A book is sufficient for me if they can't do the series. I had all but forgotten about this and given up hope, nice to know it didn't totally die.
Old 07-14-06, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wasn't this series based on an old Twilight Zone Episode with the 9 foot tall aliens?
Old 07-14-06, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jiggawhat
Wasn't this series based on an old Twilight Zone Episode with the 9 foot tall aliens?
"To Serve Man"

Well, that episode (or the story from which it was based) certainly may have served as an inspiration. But there are lots of other influences as well... WWII being another pretty obvious one.
Old 07-15-06, 02:41 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm surprised they haven't been able to drum up more interest from networks, what with the success of Battlestar Gallactica. Of course, the failures of last season's sci-fi trifecta (Invasion, Surface, and Threshold) maybe scared them off a bit.
Old 07-15-06, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I can't say I am too eager to see this return to TV myself. It was a good mini series at first, a decent mini series sequel, and a sub par TV series after that. They should have had one more mini series to wrap the whole story line up, but it's too late for that now.

My pick for a reimagining along the lines of Battlestar Galactica would be for them to do Buck Rogers of the 25th Century, and totally disregard anything from the craptacular 70's series and build it on the foundation of the original treatments and update it for the 21st century.
Old 07-15-06, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,539 Posts
I don't think this is heading direct to video. Sounds like Kenny Johnson needs to find some financing to help pay the bill for this mini series. And probably that guy from Warner Home Video is helping with that. Considering NBC struggled last season in the ratings, they are probably hesitant to shell out lots of money for this. Personally, I think Mr. Johnson should try to get Sci Fi channel to air this.
Old 07-15-06, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Asame they can't do a continuation like Kenneth Johnson wants to do as opposed to a remake which I dont want to see.
Old 08-09-06, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess the book is still a go and will be a continuation of the original mini-series, right?

The re-imagining idea really sucks IMO, of course I thought the same thing about BG and it wound up being a great show, though the initial mini-series (of BG) was sub par IMO. I imagine they could definitely have some cool FX work for the Visitors, if they give them enough money like they did for the mini-series in the 80s. The TV series itself got really bad work and even proceeded to just have what was obviously actors in lizard masks (very immobile ones at that) stand around and deliver muffled lines. Laughable to say the least.
Old 08-09-06, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 228 Likes on 133 Posts
It also didn't help that they hired soap opera writers to write the scripts, had the same four FX shots that they used over and over, and got rid of half the cast midway through the season. The show it became towards the end of the first season wasn't the most awful thing ever made, but it could have been good in the right hands, and it sure wasn't in the right hands.

And, for interest's sake, the last attempt to remake V, by Joe Straczynski, a script section I posted about 12 1/2 years ago from my old grad school account: http://www.natural-innovations.com/ent/V.Rebirth.txt

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.