Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Trading Spaces -- EXPOSED!

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 06-02-03, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like Farscape, my girlfriend was the one that made me start watching this show. After catching a number of eps, I noticed something that could blow the lid off of life as we know it...

After the designers finish whatever work they can on day 1, they leave the homeowners "homework" then leave.

A brief musical interlude plays, then the screen says Day 2.

Yet, when the designer walks back in...they're wearing the SAME CLOTHES!! And so are the homeowners!!

We're being bamboozled fellow Trading Spaces fans/DVD talkers! This could be the biggest lie since JFK!...or Area 51!!...or the landing on the Moon!!

They're trying to make us believe that the show takes place over two days!! I saw we protest this lie and stop watching!!

Who's with me??

[Or they could be very smelly while wearing the same clothes...]
Old 06-02-03, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They usually edit the two days together, and they wear the same clothes for the sake of continuity. No big conspiracy.
Old 06-02-03, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,607 Likes on 1,006 Posts
Re: Trading Spaces -- EXPOSED!

Originally posted by Rogue588
Like Farscape, my girlfriend was the one that made me start watching this show. After catching a number of eps, I noticed something that could blow the lid off of life as we know it...

After the designers finish whatever work they can on day 1, they leave the homeowners "homework" then leave.

A brief musical interlude plays, then the screen says Day 2.

Yet, when the designer walks back in...they're wearing the SAME CLOTHES!! And so are the homeowners!!

We're being bamboozled fellow Trading Spaces fans/DVD talkers! This could be the biggest lie since JFK!...or Area 51!!...or the landing on the Moon!!

They're trying to make us believe that the show takes place over two days!! I saw we protest this lie and stop watching!!

Who's with me??

[Or they could be very smelly while wearing the same clothes...]
Old news. They do it for editing purposes, so that if they have to use something from a different day they can. Most of the stuff is chronological though.

Back to Area 51 and that fishy Moon Landing.
Old 06-02-03, 04:27 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I thought you were going to say the opposite...that they took longer than 2 days. Or maybe that they don't really stick to the budget.
Old 06-02-03, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

What I would love to see is how the rooms look in a month because of the shoddy methods they use in constructing the rooms. While I admit what they do looks pretty good at the end there is no way it will last because it has been thrown together in such a short period of time and not made to last.
Old 06-02-03, 04:41 PM

They actually use 3 days during some of the shows due to setup, coming up with designs, etc. but all the work is supposed to be done in 2 days (or so I have been told).
Old 06-02-03, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

trading spaces exposed...most of the "new" rooms that they design are uglier than my toilet bowl after thanksgiving!

I would never let those people touch my rooms. my wife loves the show but she tends to agree that most of the time the designs suck! once in a while i will admit...i like. not too often though.
Old 06-02-03, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Damn, I was hoping for some Paige or Amy Wynn "exposed" pics.
Old 06-02-03, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 228 Likes on 133 Posts
If you want some behind the scenes bitching about Trading Spaces, you can always read this.
Old 06-02-03, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Another tidbit: each couple has 2 off-camera "production assistants" who do most of the work.
Old 06-02-03, 11:47 PM

Originally posted by johnglad
They actually use 3 days during some of the shows due to setup, coming up with designs, etc. but all the work is supposed to be done in 2 days (or so I have been told).
My wife is hardcore into this show. So much so that she bought that companion book that gives bios and pics on all the designers and stuff. In that book it mentions that the show is taped over 3 days(2 of which are work), about how the production assistants do a lot of the work and that the designers really don't leave but stay and help with the "homework," and that the designers, carpenter, and host wear the same clothes over the 2/3 day period. Paige picks out most of the clothes as a lot of her "job" is to shop for clothes! Actually, the book has a funny story about how Paige ruined a shirt shooting Day 1, during a show in Rhode Island I believe, and that the production assistants had to call all the Gaps across the state to find an exact match for that shirt in Paige's size.

I don't really like this show but I an forced to watch it. I got bored one day and looked through the book to see if I could find any pics of Paige, Amy or Gen exposed. No luck .
Old 06-03-03, 09:18 AM

Originally posted by dstrauss
If you want some behind the scenes bitching about Trading Spaces, you can always read this.
I may not be crazy about the design that was done, but what those people changed it back to is MUCH worse. If you have no sense of style or design whatsoever, why would you go on that show? Those people obviously enjoy Value City and KMart, can't get enough of those paisley couches and cheap end tables!
Old 06-03-03, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Meatpants
I may not be crazy about the design that was done, but what those people changed it back to is MUCH worse. If you have no sense of style or design whatsoever, why would you go on that show? Those people obviously enjoy Value City and KMart, can't get enough of those paisley couches and cheap end tables!

OMG THAT IS AWFUL!

Old 06-03-03, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

MEATPANTS: Those were my thoughts exactly.
Old 06-03-03, 10:08 AM

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts
The worst had to be the time they glued hay to the walls. The same woman spraypainted a couch hot pink.
Old 06-03-03, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

And the same woman (Hildi) glued plastic flowers all over a bathroom wall.
Old 06-03-03, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 254 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally posted by DVDGUY1116
My wife is hardcore into this show. So much so that she bought that companion book that gives bios and pics on all the designers and stuff.
Does it mention anywhere in the book that Paige's new husband is flamingly homosexual, and that somebody really needs to tell the woman?
Old 06-03-03, 10:27 AM

Originally posted by Josh Z
Does it mention anywhere in the book that Paige's new husband is flamingly homosexual, and that somebody really needs to tell the woman?
No, but it mentions that his last name is Page, so if she were to switch to her new married name she'd be Paige Page. (BTW, her full name now is Mindy Paige Davis-Page)
Old 06-03-03, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Paige Page is better than Mindy Paige Davis-Page.
Old 06-03-03, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Damn - no nude shots of Frank to be found here whatsoever!

Oh, how you people tease.

So cruel, so cruel.
Old 06-03-03, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Boot
It is actually worse than that. They actually used a pneumatic stapler to attache the flowers to the wall. The scenes they showed the poeple were using 2 staples per flowe.

2 holes per staple X 2 staples per flower X ~6000 flowers = 24000 holes in your bathroom wall!!
Old 06-03-03, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth Boot •<HR SIZE=1>Damn, I was hoping for some Paige or Amy Wynn "exposed" pics. <HR SIZE=1>

Same here ... I had visions of Seven Lives X-posed ...

das
Old 06-03-03, 01:46 PM

Originally posted by Josh Z
Ya think?

Old 06-03-03, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Boot
And stapled LP records all over a wall of an individual that had given no indication that she liked music at all... I love Hildi. She does what she wants. And the home owners be damned.
Old 06-03-03, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

First of all, While You Were Out is WAY better than Trading Spaces. Theresa Strasser is a much cuter host, and you can't beat Leslie and Andrew's dirty looks at the designers.

Second, the worst Trading Spaces design i saw was the short-haired female designer than made someone's room look like a cemetary, complete with white picket fence and a bedspread made out of green astro-turf. Sleep on it or play golf - it's your choice.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.