Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

'Frasier' producers to finally cast Maris?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-03, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.tvguide.com/newsgossip/insider/

from Tvguide.com:
After a decade as the most talked-about character on NBC's Frasier, if not in television history, Maris Crane may finally be ready to show her face. "About a third of the way through this season," teases executive producer Christopher Lloyd, "there's a big, life-altering event involving Maris once again making trouble in Niles's life" — and, he adds, there's "a chance" that we'll at last get a gander at the mystery woman. Ah, but who could possibly portray her, given the seemingly impossible qualities she is said to possess? "It's virtually impossible to find a human being who contains all [of Maris's] attributes," Lloyd acknowledges.

I was never a huge Frasier watcher, but it should be interesting to see who they cast, if it does in fact happen.
Old 07-29-03, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It would be interesting to see. I would think of someone like Lara Flynn Boyle or Calista Flockhart...
Old 07-29-03, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts
Originally posted by movieking
It would be interesting to see. I would think of someone like Lara Flynn Boyle or Calista Flockhart...
Exactly... Tho I say they have David Hyde Pierce crossdress and play both parts.

Last edited by devilshalo; 07-30-03 at 03:47 AM.
Old 07-29-03, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts
I would go with Juliet Landau -- ("Drusilla" from Buffy the Vampire Slayer) -- near perfect match. Pale, thin, unstable.
Old 07-29-03, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
coughratingsstuntcough
Old 07-29-03, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is a horrible idea. I don't think we should ever see Maris, but if they do have to show her, I agree with the above post that David Hyde Pierce should be made up to look feminene.
Old 07-29-03, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,192 Likes on 4,219 Posts
Originally posted by calhoun07
This is a horrible idea. I don't think we should ever see Maris, but if they do have to show her, I agree with the above post that David Hyde Pierce should be made up to look feminene.
Ummm...I'm sure you mean MORE feminine.

I think it's a bad idea. You don't leave a charcacter unseen for a decade, then parade her out like nothing's happened. Yuck. Not that it matters, anyways. Since Fraiser's gone rapidly downhill at the same time that it's gone up opposite 24, I stopped watching (and I was one of their big fans for many seasons).
That Luis Guzman Parking Garage episode was pain incarnate. I don't know what happened since that episode as I swore never to watch again. Did Roz leave (as the promos suggested).
Old 07-29-03, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Maris should be Mr. Burns from The Simpsons
Old 07-29-03, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, IIRC, that neighbor on Home Improvement never showed his whole face. I suppose "Fraiser" isn't on the same level as "Home Improvement", but still....
Old 07-30-03, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,192 Likes on 4,219 Posts
Originally posted by freedexter
Well, IIRC, that neighbor on Home Improvement never showed his whole face. I suppose "Fraiser" isn't on the same level as "Home Improvement", but still....
Well, that was a gimmick; he was seen and had lines. This is one of those sitcom staples : the unseen character. It's much funnier to descibe someone over and over without seeing them. Certainly, that decision was inspired by Norm's wife Vera on Cheers, but I know there were other unseen characters on other shows. I think Louie's mother was never seen. Ugly naked guy on Friends. Carlton on Rhoda. I'm sure there are more.
I just don't see what they get out of bringing in Maris after all this time.
Old 07-30-03, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by freedexter
I suppose "Fraiser" isn't on the same level as "Home Improvement", but still....
You're right, but not in the way I think you meant that. (Although I could be misreading your intent...)

They had better be reeeeally careful and get someone to ace this, or else it'll sully this show's legacy badly.

Vera is the best example of an unseen character. (She actually came to Thanksgiving that time but wound up w/ a pie on her face...)

The only time I can ever recall a show bringing on a long talked about but unseen character and having it work even a little was when we finally got to see Joanie's friend Jenny Piccolo on Happy Days. And while that was cool, it hardly set the world on fire.

Bad idea. Too much to risk.
Old 07-30-03, 02:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Decker
I think Louie's mother was never seen. Ugly naked guy on Friends. Carlton on Rhoda. I'm sure there are more.
We got to see Ugly Naked Guy in the episode Ross gets naked with him to get his apartment, applauding his natual way of living. I forget the episode title but earlier in the episode Ross sent him a basket of mini muffins.
Old 07-30-03, 03:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts
Carlton... didn't he looks like this?

Old 07-30-03, 05:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

This is going to be so cool!!! Even better than when the lead characters get married ... or have a baby!!! I love NBC. They're always finding new ways to elevate the level of quality television. Now if they could only get some big celebrities to guest star on their shows -- maybe Cher or Brad Pitt or something -- wow!!! Thank God Tartikoff died, because he never would have allowed such brilliance to air.

das
Old 07-30-03, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 392 Likes on 280 Posts

happened a few seasons back IIRC.

Last edited by jpcamb; 07-30-03 at 06:54 AM.
Old 07-30-03, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

ehhhh, I think Frasier jumped when Niles and Daphne got hitched. It's been really downhill since then.
Old 07-30-03, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I haven't watched the show in years. I never thought that it was that great, but it was okay. It is funny to see Anthony Lapaglia's guest spots and then watch him on Without A Trade now...
Old 07-30-03, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I Think Frasier is a great show. I havent really noticed it go downhill, but a few episodes have been dumb or over the top.

I DONT think they should show Maris though! That would be a huge risk and kills the imaginary picture everyone has had of her through the years.

Oh and is the Christoper Lloyd guy being quoted the SAME Llloyd from Back to the Future and stuff? Ive always wondered that since I see hes a producer or something to alot of shows.
Old 07-30-03, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,653 Likes on 1,032 Posts
Originally posted by nightwing82
We got to see Ugly Naked Guy in the episode Ross gets naked with him to get his apartment, applauding his natual way of living. I forget the episode title but earlier in the episode Ross sent him a basket of mini muffins.
You didn't see his face. Just an over-the-shoulder shot if memory serves.
Old 07-30-03, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Draven
You didn't see his face. Just an over-the-shoulder shot if memory serves.
I remember it that way as well. He opened the door, shirt-less hairy back and all, holding a beverage.
Old 07-30-03, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Ravenous
Oh and is the Christoper Lloyd guy being quoted the SAME Llloyd from Back to the Future and stuff? Ive always wondered that since I see hes a producer or something to alot of shows.
I'm pretty sure its not the same guy. I recall reading an interview with the producer several years ago in which he said people were always making the mistake.
Old 07-30-03, 12:58 PM

Ha, I always assumed it was the same person. I guess not, according to IMDB:
Christopher Lloyd
Christopher Lloyd
Old 07-30-03, 01:55 PM

Originally posted by Decker
I think Louie's mother was never seen.
Actually, there was an episode where we saw Louie's mother. It was the episode in which Louie's mom remarries. She's actually played by Danny DeVito's real-life mother.
Old 07-30-03, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Chew
ehhhh, I think Frasier jumped when Niles and Daphne got hitched. It's been really downhill since then.
Man am I out of the loop, I didn't even know they got married. That show sucks anyway.
Old 07-30-03, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Rascal
Ha, I always assumed it was the same person. I guess not, according to IMDB:
Christopher Lloyd
Christopher Lloyd

Hmmm... well, you learn something every day. I always assumed it was the same person.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.