Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Buffy 5/13 "End of Days" - spoilers

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-03, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its so hard to believe there is only one more episode left. I dont know how i am going to live!
Old 05-13-03, 10:38 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts
Good episode. The Anya and Andrew exchanges were great as was the Buffy and Faith conversation.

It was weird seeing Buffy and Angel together again. I wonder what Spike is going to do now.

I can't believe next week is the last one
Old 05-13-03, 11:04 PM
Banned

Boring episode. Buffy is stinking it up with only one show left. UPN blew the 'Angel' surprise, the only good thing about this show, so that was wasted. You would think that with the end coming, the show would kick it up a notch..but no. I hate what they have done to Xander as well, he lost an eye, turned him into a creepy kidnapper, and got him electrocuted by Dawn...horrible.
Old 05-13-03, 11:37 PM

I'm so conflicted. Dialogue good, storyline bad. First there's a deus ex machina weapon (cleverly hidden at the place the bad guy invited Buffy to), then there's this random old lady who's been hanging around in Sunnydale forever for some reason, and then Caleb appears behind her? Also, what was up with all the ubervamps? And Buffy's happy again?

I mean, none of this makes sense. Instead of pulling together all of the loose threads of the season (like the zombie talisman from Lessons), they're throwing more stuff out there.

And yet, I only had one eye-rolling moment: Spuffy relationship talk #467 ("He's leaving? Cool. No! Buffy, don't go after him! No, Buffy, come on! Aw, maaaaan!"). That aside, I was pretty entertained. The characters reverted to something closer to their actual selves, which made for a good watch (Yes, I'm a sucker for core Scooby friendship scenes. The Buffy/Xander chat and quick Buffy/Willow sidelong glance after the 'scythe matters' joke made me happy.) Beyond that, I have no idea why I liked it.

It wasn't what I'd call good, but it did give me hope that the finale will be enjoyable. A good episode of Charmed enjoyable, granted, but still enjoyable.

Last edited by Jlbkwrm; 05-13-03 at 11:43 PM.
Old 05-14-03, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Originally posted by Rogue588
I find it hard to believe that next week is going to wrap everything up in ONE hour..
Yeah, I was really hoping they would have the decency to give us a two hour finale...but of course that would mean a week without Platinum.

I refuse to believe that Xander would abandon everyone he loves, (especially after hearing his speech to Anya in season 3 before she fled town) kidnap Dawn, and flee Sunnydale...despite Buffy's wishes. That's even more ridiculous than everyone voting to kick Buffy out of the house. Other than that, it was a pretty entertaining episode.
Old 05-14-03, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Opening - Good. Buffy did her thang.

Middle - sort of boring, like being stuck in quicksand.

Ending - good but the import of the fight was sort of underwhelmed by casualness with little in terms of caution in Buffy's fight with Caleb once Angel shows up.
Old 05-14-03, 01:44 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The following is based purely on speculation and nothing else...

Am I the only one who thinks that maybe the fight with Caleb didn't really happen? It struck me as similar to the scene midseason in Angel where Angel and Connor team up to kill the hellbeast, but it turned out to be a ruse to desoul him... For one it was too easy. There's this big huge plan and Caleb just casually goes single handed to this place to take on Buffy, knowing she has the uber-weapon? Then Angel strolls in, Buffy quickly offs Caleb, and they gaze into each other's eyes and kiss. It just seemed too... convenient. Like maybe it was set up for Spike's 'benefit'? Could the First
Spoiler:
be multiple people at once? Angel and Buffy have both died...
Old 05-14-03, 06:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Chad
Yeah, I was really hoping they would have the decency to give us a two hour finale...but of course that would mean a week without Platinum.
Actually, it's even worse than that! Next week after Buffy is the first episode of America's Next Top Model. Make that a double !

Another episode I was a bit bored with. Still way too much talk for a series ending in a week.
Old 05-14-03, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
There were parts of the episode I really liked - The Xander Dawn exchange before the kidnapping, Anya and Andrew) and parts I didn't like (Buffy and Spike... why)
DRG; that's an interesting theory. My mom watched the episode knowing very little about Buffy and after seeing the preview for next week scream, but he's dead! I had to explain to her that like The X-Files, no one really dies that quickly. Maybe the merging with Caleb will allow the first to take a corporal form? We'll see.
Old 05-14-03, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Maybe it's me, but I guess Angel has gotten over Cordy pretty quick? Angel and Buffy just seemed too chummy in their reunion.
Old 05-14-03, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally posted by veloce
I don't know if anyone knows, but it bothered me, that promo.
Well, the Angel payoff (though most of us knew it was coming) was ruined by last week's promo. Damn UPN.

I decided to avoid the promo for next week, but not before I caught a glimpse of
Spoiler:
Caleb

Thanks for ruining that suspense, too, UPN.
Old 05-14-03, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

So no one got that strange vibe where Angel suddenly shows up, and Buffy suddenly remembers "oh, I've got some butt-kicking to do!" and finally subdues Caleb. It just seemed so perfunctionary.
Old 05-14-03, 08:04 AM

I liked the episode but had 3 problems.
1 - Buffy gets her ass kicked, Angel shows up, Buffy kicks ass.
2 - Anya looking like she wanted to give it up to Andrew.
3 - Zander knocking out Dawn and didn't even take a peek.
Old 05-14-03, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Okay, the wheelchair fight was sort of funny, but probably not politically correct.
Old 05-14-03, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by wmansir
Best Line: "Thank God we're hot chicks with super powers."
Old 05-14-03, 08:47 AM

I refuse to believe that Xander would abandon everyone he loves, (especially after hearing his speech to Anya in season 3 before she fled town) kidnap Dawn, and flee Sunnydale...despite Buffy's wishes.
I thought Xander was doing what Buffy wanted? Remember the scene where Buffy tells him she's got a mission for him & he doesn't want to do it because it means not fighting in the final battle? That mission was to take Dawn to safety.
Old 05-14-03, 09:03 AM

I had some problems with the episode because things seemed to just show up with no explanation (i.e. Ubervamps, Angel, taser-gun). And I really want to know why the bad guys were digging up the scythe in the first place (unless I missed something and they said already).

I liked the Xander/Dawn scenes and was totally shocked when he suddenly kidnapped her. Not nearly as shocked as I was when she pulled that taser. Of course I think that shocked Xander more...

I disliked the Anya/Andrew scenes. They just didn't work for me.

I liked the Buffy/Xander conversation about him wanting to be there at the end. Xander has long been my favorite character and still is.

I liked the Buffy/Faith scene and am glad that Faith has been turning into so much of a better character. She's more likeable than Buffy at this point.

I really didn't like the Angel return. He had very corny lines and delivered them with some pretty bad acting. In fact I think that's the worst acting I've ever seen from David Boreanz. They should have left Angel on his own show rather than have him come over and bring his bad scripts with him.

Overall I enjoyed the episode and I can see at this rate (pulling stuff out of nowhere ala Star Trek) how they will wrap everything up next week.
Old 05-14-03, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
Like I said earlier, Angel's remarks seemed really out of character. My guess is that the people who wrote his dialogue might not have been keeping track of his series and what has happened. A similar thing occurred when Willow guested on Angel this season. Writers unfamiliar with the characters tend to make them do whatever is convenient for the story they are writing as they haven't the time to go through background material. Unfortunately, this makes the characters less faithful to their source.
Old 05-14-03, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Buffy's sudden boost in kick-butt-ness when Angel shows up:

Well, for anyone who watched Survivor this season, they separated the guys from the girls for the first 4 tribal councils or so. Then they mixed up the 2 tribes, and, there was a girl named Shawna who was moaning and groaning about how she couldn't take any more of the game or the environment. She was really ready to quit the game it seemed. All of a sudden, after the teams become coed, some guys show up, and Shawna turns into party girl, all giddy and happy. It was hilarious to see what an injection of testosterone can do for a girl's spirit.

Maybe that's what happened to Buffy when Angel showed up in the nick of time.
Old 05-14-03, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by C Roberts
I really didn't like the Angel return. He had very corny lines and delivered them with some pretty bad acting. In fact I think that's the worst acting I've ever seen from David Boreanz. They should have left Angel on his own show rather than have him come over and bring his bad scripts with him.
Bingo!

After everything Buffy's put Spike through and all the closeness that they seem to have shared, Buffy just drops everything when Angel pops his meaty head back into the game?

Angel is utterly superfluous at this point. There was no need to involve him in this storyline.

Zero. Zip. None.
Old 05-14-03, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by das Monkey
Hell, he could have flown in on a zipline, and I wouldn't have really minded.
I just laughed out loud at that
Old 05-14-03, 11:18 AM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It was really a surprise to see that they're going to be dealing with the one story they couldn't deal with for 2 years - the Buffy/Spike/Angel triangle. I just wish it didn't Have to be resolved in one episode. Unless they leave it open-ended....
Old 05-14-03, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I think the reason the bad guys were digging up the "scythe/axe" is because it serves a purpose beyond being just the slayer's weapon. I think that was obvious when the guardian told Buffy that she already has weapons. It probably is a key or a magic focal point or something of that sort.

I didn't like the Buffy Angel kiss even though I had a feeling it was coming, and felt it was just thrown in there to please those fans who could never accept the fact that those two couldn't be together.

I also found it strange that now the ubervamps are out with no mention of the seal having been opened. The only thing I can think is that they are a weaker version from somewhere else because they didn't look as big or tough as the first one Buffy fought.

Overall though I enjoyed the pace and the witty dialogue and am more excited now to see the finale.

Also I have watched Platinum, and I actually find that to be a pretty good show so I don't know what all this bashing is about. Is it just the status quo to mock any show that appears on UPN with black characters as the focus?
Old 05-14-03, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by spainlinx0
I think the reason the bad guys were digging up the "scythe/axe" is because it serves a purpose beyond being just the slayer's weapon. I think that was obvious when the guardian told Buffy that she already has weapons. It probably is a key or a magic focal point or something of that sort.
The last couple of seasons, they've dropped more and more hints about Buffy's power being linked to darkness/death, so I assume the weapon is muy importante to the baddies.

As for why the Ubervamps are out of the seal, add it to the list of things they never explained -

Why didn't Jonathan's blood open the seal?
Why did the First bother messing with Spike's head?
Why did Wood sleep with Faith? Seemed a LITTLE out of character
Why is Spike still wearing Wood's mother's coat? To rub it in?

etc.
Old 05-14-03, 11:38 AM

Why is Spike still wearing Wood's mother's coat? To rub it in?
Its Spike's coat now. I'd like to see Wood try to take it from him though...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.