Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

TV Idols who cannot make it in Film

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-03, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts
Originally posted by chowderhead
Topher Grace AKA Eric Foreman was pretty good as the drugged up preppy boyfriend in Traffic.

I would say Luke Perry of 90210 fame
He was lead in 8 Seconds and that's about it.

Kirk Cameron.
I don't think he made many movies besides those Left Behind Christian movies.
Vice Versa with Dudley Moore.
Old 04-29-03, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd vote for Christina Applegate. Of her post-Married with Children filmography, The Big Hit was the highest grossing, at ~$27 million.
Old 04-30-03, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by fujishig
Perhaps a better question would be... who HAS made it? Especially if a tv show is on for a long time, an actor runs the risk of being typecast in that one role.
Now that's the horse of a different color...or thread, that is.
Old 04-30-03, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Chad
The two Corey's (Feldman & Haim) were huge in the 80's until everything went downhill.
The two Coreys weren't television stars. They were movie stars, baby, yeah! The rest is true, however.
Old 04-30-03, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Tim Meadows can't make a go of it. Successful as an ensemble, but not a Ladies Man.
Old 04-30-03, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Richard Grieco?
http://www.thergweb.com/intro1.htm
Old 04-30-03, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Originally posted by Buttmunker
The two Coreys weren't television stars. They were movie stars, baby, yeah! The rest is true, however.
Not entirely true.

Actually, the two had a short-lived show in the mid 80's entitled "The Corey's Super Smiletime Variety Hour" which was basically a sketch comedy/variety show in the tradition of "Laugh In" and "The Sonny & Cher Comedy Hour".

It was made to capitalize on their short-lived teen idol status, and produced in conjunction with "Tigerbeat Magazine". The Corey's would sing and perform stand up routines in front of a live studio audience, which consisted mostly of a younger teenage crowd...and they always managed to get guest stars ranging from Milton Berle to Tiffany. It was a big hit in Japan, but unfortunately did not air in the states due to some sort of legal issues, and only eight episodes were ever produced.
Old 04-30-03, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts
Chad, I really hope that you write all of that about the Corey TV show off the top of your head...
Old 04-30-03, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I MUST get that videotape!!!

D
Old 04-30-03, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

One of the top flops was soap star Anthony Geary. Limped back to General Hospital with his tail between his legs.

Pamela Anderson's film career was a bust...although I thought she did a great job in the Tommy Lee Honeymoon documentary...so realistic!
Old 04-30-03, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The entire cast of Full House save the Olsen Twins.
Old 05-01-03, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Chad
Not entirely true.

Actually, the two had a short-lived show in the mid 80's entitled "The Corey's Super Smiletime Variety Hour" which was basically a sketch comedy/variety show in the tradition of "Laugh In" and "The Sonny & Cher Comedy Hour".

It was made to capitalize on their short-lived teen idol status, and produced in conjunction with "Tigerbeat Magazine". The Corey's would sing and perform stand up routines in front of a live studio audience, which consisted mostly of a younger teenage crowd...and they always managed to get guest stars ranging from Milton Berle to Tiffany. It was a big hit in Japan, but unfortunately did not air in the states due to some sort of legal issues, and only eight episodes were ever produced.
This just can't be true.
Old 05-01-03, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by LBPound
The entire cast of Full House save the Olsen Twins.
Actually, I don't think they've been in any feature films. Made-for-TV and direct-to-video/DVD films don't count in this thread.
Old 05-01-03, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Opening the thread, the one name that jumped to mind was Ted Danson. Star of two successful TV Shows, one of which, Cheers, was very successful. And his attempts at films never really took off.

Tom Selleck was a good mention though, and obviously people like Shelly Long and David Caruso who left successful TV shows to try their hand at the movies didn't work too well either.

But fujishig is right. Not that many have made it. Robin Williams did. Clooney did. I always thought Woody Harrelson did well for himself. And obviously many comedians from mainly SNL. But their are many failures.

I should add Pierce Brosnan has made the movie to the big screen, even though Remington Steele wasn't huge, and most of Brosnan's non Bond movies haven't been huge either.
Old 05-01-03, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by scott27
Actually, I don't think they've been in any feature films. Made-for-TV and direct-to-video/DVD films don't count in this thread.
They were in that movie with Kirstie Alley, I think it was called "It Takes Two" but regardless, they haven't made much a career outside of the TV and direct-to-video films and therefore wouldn't qualify.