Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Trek: TNG question about the Prime Directive.....

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Star Trek: TNG question about the Prime Directive.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-03, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts
Ok, so Deftones' question makes me go dig up my TNG Episode Synopsis. I thought I had a Voyager Writers/Directors bible somewhere but I can't find it and the DS9 Writers/Directors bible doesn't say anything about the Prime Directive.

After delivering a party of Earth colonists to the Strnad Solar System, the crew of the Enterprise anxiously awaits a pending shore leave on the pastoral planet of Rubicam Three. The civilization, whose inhabitants are known as the Edo, is less advanced than Earth but brimming with love, health and sensual pleasure.

Vacation plans are soon thwarted when Wesley, playing with the Edo children, innocently violates a planet law and is sentenced to death. At the same time, the Enterprise is confronted by a mysterious vessel that appears to be existing in two dimensions simultaneously. The vessel, protesting the installation of Earth colonists in the Strnad Solar System, startles the crew by sending a powerful light object that enters Data's mind and renders him unconscious.

In order to determine the originals of the vessel, the Captain beams down to Edo and negotiaties to save Wesley's life for a few more hours and asks for Edo assistance in determining the origins of the mysterious vessel.

Beaming aboard the Enterprise with a knowledgeable Edo woman, the captain soon learns the Edo consider the vessel as "God." To make matters worse, it is learned that the inhabitants of this powerful object are observing the Enterprise's moves and preparing to pass judgement on the Captain and his crew.

Picard returns to Rubicam Three, and despite Edo objections and Federation's Prime Directive, beams Wesley and the crew back to the Enterprise. Preparing to face the wrath of the mysterious vessel for violating Edo customs, Picard and crew are pleasantly surprised that judgement passed ont he Enterprise is favorable and the alien vessel fades away.

Now, from my time there at Trek, I believe it was within the Prime Directive that a crew could interact with a society/civilization that was pre-warp as long as you did not show them/introduce to them any technology. Also, you could not solve or come between civilizations at war with each other. This was always spouted to me tho almost always the writers could bend the rules.

From some geek site:
As the right of each sentient species to live in accordance with its normal cultural evolution is considered sacred, no Star Fleet personnel may interfere with the healthy development of alien life and culture. Such interference includes the introduction of superior knowledge, strength, or technology to a world whose society is incapable of handling such advantages wisely. Star Fleet personnel may not violate this Prime Directive, even to save their lives and/or their ship unless they are acting to right an earlier violation or an accidental contamination of said culture. This directive takes precedence over any and all other considerations, and carries with it the highest moral obligation.
Hope this help ya, dude...

Last edited by devilshalo; 04-30-03 at 11:19 PM.
Old 05-01-03, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds exactly like what I already said ... they're just not listening

das
Old 05-01-03, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts
I always got the idea that the "Prime Directive" was kept intentionally vague so that it could be used a generic plot device.

It's really little more than a general non-intervention policy that is invoked whenever some kind of moral conflict is required by the story.
Old 05-01-03, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Josh-da-man
I always got the idea that the "Prime Directive" was kept intentionally vague so that it could be used a generic plot device.

It's really little more than a general non-intervention policy that is invoked whenever some kind of moral conflict is required by the story.
Cynic!