Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The state of [“bad”] language on today’s TV?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-03, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’ve noticed on the show Lucky, the language has been upgraded, somewhat as The Shield did last season. Several uses of the “S” word, and a coupla violations of the Third Commandment. But no disclaimer at the beginning of the show (unless I missed it).

Granted, these are both FX shows. And FX isn’t really broadcast TV. But I assume it falls under the same FCC guidelines as other TV programs.

Has our TV vocabulary been increased? What is in store for the future?
Old 04-25-03, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

From what I understand, broadcast TV has different rules than cable networks. I believe cable networks have more freedom, but they follow a sort of "self-censorship" thing.

I'm not totally sure, but I recall reading an article about how there would be huge backlash if they stopped censoring "bad" language. I don't think what I was reading was true, though. It was a while ago.
Old 04-25-03, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 617 Likes on 496 Posts
I think the rules are relaxed after 10 pm ET.

Personally, I think it is all a load of crap. Pardon my French since it is before 10 pm.
Old 04-25-03, 06:46 PM
Needs to provide a working email

Originally posted by Red Dog
I think the rules are relaxed after 10 pm ET.

Personally, I think it is all a load of crap. Pardon my French since it is before 10 pm.
Pardon your FREEDOM...
Old 04-25-03, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Darren Garrison
Pardon your FREEDOM...

Old 04-25-03, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
related to french fry freedom fry maybe?

I always thought a**h*** was one of the worse single words, other than f***, but NYPD Blue was saying that years ago
Old 04-25-03, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by mikehunt
related to french fry freedom fry maybe?

I always thought a**h*** was one of the worse single words, other than f***, but NYPD Blue was saying that years ago

Ah - got it. Good one.
Old 04-25-03, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The F word should be allowed on primetime TV IMO

Why do you think The Sopranos are so popular??..Because they talk like "normal" people

"What no f****n' Zini??"
Old 04-25-03, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts
My rambling post went on too long so I'm shortening it.

The FCC has defined broadcast indecency as "language or material that, in context, depicts or describes, in terms patently offensive as measured by contemporary community broadcast standards for the broadcast medium, sexual or excretory organs or activities."

That applys to what isn't allowed from 6:00 AM until 10:00 PM for BROADCAST tv (non-cable).

After that time it (10:00 PM - 6:00 AM), "Indecent material" is allowed, as long as its not obscene (incredibly broad term), which I don't think is allowed in any form - even in movies.

http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts/obscene.html

Cable doesn't have the same rules, and is edited by the people who choose to put it on the air. This usually has to do with family image and the hope that they don't offend their viewer base. As well as advertisers going after that "Family" image. Can't be a basic cable channel without some advertising support. HBO is the same, but more expensive since it doesn't have advertising, but at the same time doesn't have to limit itself.

So in terms of language itself - as more terms become "socially acceptable" in common speech, the more we'll hear 'em on TV.

I don't see what the big deal about *******, Ass, Hell, Damn, God Damn (well I guess I understand this one..religious folk). ****, Bitch, ****, and **** always seemed to be more severe to me, but I guess its how you're raised.

-Rich

Last edited by RichC2; 04-25-03 at 09:44 PM.
Old 04-25-03, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts
Language has been slowly but surely coarsening on television.

I remember in the mid-80s, I heard the word "ass" on Cagney and Lacey, which was the first time I heard it on broadcast television.

"Piss" also started showing up, around the mid-90s probably. I was under the impression that that was one of the "seven dirty words."

Also remember hearing "tits" (another of the 7) on L.A. Law in a courtroom setting.

"Ass" and "piss" (as in pissed off) are pretty much commonplace on network television now.

"A__h_le" is also creeping in there -- just heard it on ER a couple of months ago.
Old 04-25-03, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Josh-da-man
Also remember hearing "tits" (another of the 7) on L.A. Law in a courtroom setting.
I used to watch that all the time, and I missed it. And being a boob man, I would remember.

I do remember crap for the first time c1989; again L.A Law in a courtroom setting. A plumber was on the stand:

Plumber: ...there was crap all over the place.
Lawyer: crap?
Crap.
What kind of crap?
Well, you know, crap!

'bout crapped my pants.

RichC2, seems to me, though, that we had a similar discussion here around when The Shield first started. Most felt that there was no distinction between "cable" (FX) and OTA. The exception being that pay channels (HBO, etc.) didn't count because you had the option not to pay for them. I like to think that you also have the option not to pay for cable channels, too, therefore they can do what they want. Many disagreed.
Old 04-25-03, 10:13 PM
Needs to provide a working email

Originally posted by Josh-da-man

"Tit" appears fairly often. Last time I remember hearing it was on the Married With Children reunion show. Christina Applegate mentioned something about people recognizing her on the street and asking to see her tits...
Old 04-25-03, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wizdar - Cable is a package, and isn't free. So technically they are paying for it despite it since it comes as a "package" deal (which is why cable providers always have different channels)... That may also be another reason most channels censor stuff - so cable providers will keep them/pick them up.

..but whatever, it's all uh good? hehe
Old 04-25-03, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey, some times not all the times, usa network says a*shole and god damn on movies.
Also, last year on 24, it was the episode where the one guy shot and killed the police officer, when Jack spoke spanish the guy said "speak english ass h*le".
Also, if a movie has a "historical" context , networks are leniant. like showing schindlers list and saving private ryan uncut.
Old 04-25-03, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by RichC2
Wizdar - Cable is a package, and isn't free.
Isn't that what I just -- aw, never mind.

Old 04-25-03, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Rypro 525
like showing schindlers list and saving private ryan uncut.
and American Pie
Old 04-25-03, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

They never showed american pie uncut. If you are refering to the thread I posted a few weeks ago, it was a typo in the tv guide but they still got alot of the explicit sexual scenes and comments in.
Old 04-25-03, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Wizdar
Isn't that what I just -- aw, never mind.

Oops I hate when I do that.
Old 04-26-03, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I like how USA is testing the waters (I suppose) with fading out the dirty words on flicks like The Rock.

As for the "historical context", I think thats stupid. Why is it ok to have dirty words in a movie of significance, meanwhile a regular show trying to be realistic can't do the same.
Old 04-26-03, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I heard f--k on CBS during the 9/11 special. It was shocking for some reason, although it's not really.

Also, I believe it's a huge no-no to "use the Lord's name in vain". That means no "God-damn" or whatever. I don't know if all networks do that, but I believe ABC and ABC Family both forbid it.
Old 04-26-03, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i just want to say that i have been saying for years that SH-T would be all over the tube by the time i hit 35. there's still 12 years to go on that too...
-di doctor-
Old 04-26-03, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Rypro 525
If you are refering to the thread I posted a few weeks ago...
Easy big fella. It was a joke.

“Historical” context movies:
Schindlers List
Saving Private Ryan
American Pie
Of these three, which does not belong? Your answer will be used to modify your SAT scores.
Originally posted by DrRingDing
i just want to say that i have been saying for years that SH-T would be all over the tube by the time i hit 35.
Have you looked in a TV Guide lately? All that's on any more is sh-t, and it's all over the tube.
Old 04-26-03, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 357 Likes on 231 Posts
I don't think George Carlin could do his 7 words routine today because most of them are allowed now.

tasha
Old 04-26-03, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Man, I can remember when they aired a "Scared Straight" special on MTV a while ago and they put up a bunch of disclaimers stating that it would not be censored to maintain the effect. Man, the inmates on that special were saying bitch and the f word left and right. I had said those words so many times before, but for some reason they always sound cooler when said on TV then they do in real life.

This illustrates one of the fundamental if unused rules of cable networks, anything can technically be shown, but as soon as one person complains to the FCC they are fined. Cable networks operate on razor thin profit margins, so they try to minimize their fines and not put anything too risque on, and place disclaimers when they think something is objectionable to avoid complaints.

The best example of this was a special on MTV2 aired around 2 in the morning, they showed "The 20 Most Outrageous Banned Videos" with about a million disclaimers, but it was purhaps the greatest thing I have ever seen. Watching the director's cut of Pearl Jam's Jeremy, NIN's Closer, and Prodigy's Smack My Bitch Up. Simply awesome !
Old 04-26-03, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

And I wish mtv 2 would play that again. I'd love to see "stan" uncut.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.