Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Eddie's Father

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-03, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eddie's Father

From time to time, I get invited to particpate in TV pilot studies. It's just a telemarketing call with instructions on what channel to tune into at a certain time, and afterwards, they call back and ask a million questions.

So far, I've seen the pilot for "Smallville" and a horrible Delta Burke sitcom which I guess was never picked up. It was her returning to the prep school which she attended earlier. It was very bad, and sort of a rip off of "Facts of Life".

Anyhow, I saw a new pilot today: Eddie's Father, an updated version of "The Courtship of Eddie's Father".

I've never actually seen the original, but I've heard of the sitcom and the remake.

It was actually pretty good. It was cute in that "Full House" way (even with some of those creepy houses that they show), but not in a sickeningly sweet way. I'm suprised, since I didn't expect to find it that enjoyable.

Overall, it was fairly cute, Tom Corbet, a widower who works in a music magazine (as editor? he's rich enough to be so) spends time with his son, Eddie, who is extremely intelligent, but still naive and innocen, and there is a nanny, a cute Asian-looking girl with a last name for a first name: the exact name escapes me now.

Basically, in the pilot:

Spoiler:
Tom is finally convinced by his one-dimensional co-worker/friend to go on a date, a year after his wife dies. The nanny encourgages Tom to tell Eddie about the date, and Tom gives Eddie a patronized explination. When the nanny explains to Eddie that it's a date, Eddie freaks out and runs away. Tom just begins his date when he gets a call from the one-dimensional co-worker/friend, and it turns out Eddie took a bus to his house, and ends up bonding with the cheap date that the co-worker/friend took home. The next day, Eddie ignores the nanny and Tom, then Tom has a heart-to-heart with Eddie and they cry and bond and strengthen their relationship. The end.

It sounds a little cheesy, and it is, but I liked the way it was shot, and look of it: it didn't make it look all sugary and sweet. They also have little scenes of Tom and Eddie walking and talking in between scenes, which are also endearing.

So there you go. I don't know if it is going to be picked up or not, but it'll be on the WB. It was really short, only 20 minutes without commerical interruption. I thought most sitcoms are 22 minutes.