Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Enterprise 04/23/03

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-03, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I totally agree with Chew about DS9. Watching the DVD sets, I’m finding that, knowing the course of events, it ranks up there with Babylon 5 in terms of [what appears to be] a thoughtful, multi-season story arc. There’s stuff in the first season that (IIRC) doesn’t become a major story until later.

Moreover, unlike Enterpoop (thanks, Chew!), there is character development from the very first episode.

I’m beginning to realize that DS9 is by far the best of the Trek franchise, in spite of its rather shaky last season or so.

I agree with Red Dog about alternatives. I think that may be why I stopped watching Voyager somewhere around mid-6th season. But then the local reruns are coming around to that point, and I’m finding myself with a blah attitude.

Last week I missed the Wednesday showing, and didn’t feel a bit deprived. Oh, I missed being able to post here and piss off the fanboys. And I almost missed the Sunday repeats, perhaps thinking, “Well, I’ll catch it on reruns.” I wonder if this attitude is what Paramount is looking for in their viewers.
Originally posted by Chew
Ok, Wizdar, what did I do now?
Just wondering what your was all about. Although I don’t agree with madcouger’s “I don’t care how good it is, I’m gonna hate it” way of looking at it, I totally understand it. And I’m thankful of everyone who’s willing to stand up and be counted in the WTF is going on queue. Considering all those who drool over this slop…
Old 04-25-03, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Wizdar
I’m beginning to realize that DS9 is by far the best of the Trek franchise, in spite of its rather shaky last season or so.

Just wondering what your was all about. Although I don’t agree with madcouger’s "don’t care how good it is, I’m gonna hate it” way of looking at it I totally understand it.
That's what I was confused at, a "haven't seen it, but know will hate it" attitude. Maybe I'm just dense, but I still have a small glimmer of hope that they'll find a way to slip in a good episode once in a great while. Being continually disappointed in that hope, you'd think I'd start learning my lesson at some point........

Last edited by Chew; 04-25-03 at 10:31 AM.
Old 04-25-03, 10:36 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
I just want to point that I didn't watch Enterprise this week - again.
Old 04-25-03, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey, Bandoman... me too! (Besides, the Enterprise threads here are much more entertaining than the show...)
Old 04-25-03, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have a feeling that some folks think I have that kind of attitude: that it’s a foregone conclusion it’ll suck. I can’t deny that it’s partly true (fool me once…). But I, too, keep hoping for something enjoyable amongst the swine swill. I mean, we’ve got another five years of this to look forward (?) to.

What I’m curious about (and I’m gonna HATE myself for asking, but I gotta do it): madcouger, “If you hate it so much, why do you watch?” Jeez. Now I feel lower than a belly-gunner on an armadillo.

Bando, get something new.
Old 04-25-03, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 1,279 Likes on 731 Posts
Overall I thought the episode was pretty well done. Archer acted relatively captain like in this episode, unlike some renegade cowboy that he played in the previous episode.

The tribble was a funny touch. I like when the weave stuff like that into the scripts.
Old 04-25-03, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Any Trek fans care to comment about this bit of news?

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=288209
Old 04-25-03, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah.

I think Connery was the best.
Old 04-25-03, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah.

I think Connery was the best.
Old 04-26-03, 05:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Red Dog
I'm the same way. It is like watching a train wreck. You can't help but watch if you are a Trek fan. For some reason though, I didn't get sucked in the same way about Voyager - after about 10 episodes, I gave up on that (and I never got into DS9 either). For some reason, I keep watching this one. I need there to be 2 good alternatives in the same timeslot to stop me from watching (currently - only 1 - That 70s Show).
Red Dog my man, I guess no one realized I was being sarcastic. It always amuses me how people will waste their time not only watching a show they don't like but then waste more time posting here. It's true. I'm a total ass.

For the record I've felt that a few episodes of Enterprise have been good, most mediocre and some just really bad. But mostly I like the show.
Old 04-28-03, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've enjoyed this series enough to keep watching it every week. I never got into TOS or TNG or DS9, although I did catch a few episodes of Voyager before losing interest. I've seen the first 5 or 6 films and know enough about the franchise to follow Enterprise just fine (I'm no trivia geek). It's unfortunate that the loyal followers of the show have been disappointed with Enterprise, but the time period is what has me hooked...I like to see how things were done before TOS (that's probably why I'm not as much a basher of Eps I and II of Star Wars).
Old 04-28-03, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

thought it was one of the better episodes this year. i like the show more when they fight stuff though.

all the posturing and spelunking is annoying.

plus....archer just looks constipated most of the time.
Old 04-28-03, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by SleepyW
I like to see how things were done before TOS
That’s what I was originally looking forward to. Seemed like a good idea at the time.

But they’ve done damn_little of that, just continued on churning out episodes with no apparent direction. The only thing we’ve seen developed is the translator, and that was way back last season. Subspace communications seem to have magically appeared, now that they’ve installed ONE relay station that they can access from anywhere in the universe.

Hell, it’s the end of the second year. They refuse to use the transporters or even bother to tell us that there’s a problem with them, with the exception of a coupla hints. Transporters could have been used to extract the crew on a number of occasions, including this episode. Is there even a discussion of why they couldn’t use them? Nope. We’ve seen more of the inside of what’s-his-name’s quarters (the guy from the future) than we have of the transporter room.

But, damn! They’ve sure got a boatload of them flat panel displays. Wish I could get me one o’ them…
Originally posted by crankyman
plus....archer just looks constipated most of the time.

He should stop eating Porthos' cheese.
Old 04-28-03, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hell, it’s the end of the second year. They refuse to use the transporters or even bother to tell us that there’s a problem with them, with the exception of a coupla hints. Transporters could have been used to extract the crew on a number of occasions, including this episode. Is there even a discussion of why they couldn’t use them? Nope. We’ve seen more of the inside of what’s-his-name’s quarters (the guy from the future) than we have of the transporter room.
Same problem I've had with numerous episodes. It would of made more sense for them to not introduce transporters all together.
Old 04-28-03, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
That's what these episodes have been missing: Porthos!
Old 04-28-03, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Damn_betcha!

Porthos has the BEST lines.
Old 04-28-03, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
I can see them not using the transporters, they were far underground after all which affects even TNG transporters
but they should have stated that in the episode
Old 04-28-03, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That’s what I was originally looking forward to. Seemed like a good idea at the time.

But they’ve done damn_little of that, just continued on churning out episodes with no apparent direction. The only thing we’ve seen developed is the translator, and that was way back last season. Subspace communications seem to have magically appeared, now that they’ve installed ONE relay station that they can access from anywhere in the universe.

But, damn! They’ve sure got a boatload of them flat panel displays. Wish I could get me one o’ them…

He should stop eating Porthos' cheese.
They've actually mentioned that they've dropped at least 3 or 4 of the Echo Relay devices.

And they have shown how the transporters suck. There was the guy that got transported with plants stuck into him and Hoshi had that stupid mental dream while stuck in the buffer.
Old 04-29-03, 12:16 PM

Originally posted by MvRojo
Since Phlox served in the Denobulan military as a medic, he does not want to help the dying man since it's one of his enemies.
It's the other way around. &nbsp The dying Antaran refuses to let Phlox treat him.
Old 04-29-03, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Deckard-10
It's the other way around. &nbsp The dying Antaran refuses to let Phlox treat him.
Yeah I was basing that on the episode promo since I mainly avoid spoilers, but Phlox kinda didn't want to help him at first.