Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Dennis Miller: The raw feed

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-03, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dennis Miller: The raw feed

Dennis Miller is on HBO tonight at 10pm. Anyone planning to watch?

http://www.hbo.com/dennismillerrawfeed/

For nearly a decade, Dennis Miller salted the sensibility of America with his pungent wit and piquant perspectives on HBO's Emmy®-winning Dennis Miller Live. This April, Miller returns to his stand-up roots - and to HBO - in an all-new solo special, direct from the Windy City!
Old 04-12-03, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the reminder.
Old 04-12-03, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Absolutely. He was on The Daily Show a few days back and was in top form. I'm always up for some irreverent and obscure humor.

das
Old 04-12-03, 06:53 PM
Banned

Location: John "57 Varieties" Kerry represents me in the US Senate.
Hmm, another thread that makes me mad I only get basic cable.

Had me busting a gut on The Daily Show when he said of the Germans: "When they won't support your war, you hafta wonder - Do they disagree with your reasons, or is it just not being done on a grand enough scale?"
Old 04-12-03, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Can't wait. The fake commercials had me rolling seeing him dressed like that.
Old 04-12-03, 07:57 PM

His appearance on Leno and the Daily Show were hilarious. Can't wait.
Old 04-12-03, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts
He wasn't funny at all.

The guy has seriously lost it.

It was difficult to watch, in a (recent) George Carlin sort of way. Though Carlin is occasionally funny and insightful; and doesn't try to come off as Rush Limbaugh with a community college liberal arts degree.

(Edited to add: In honor of Miller's newfound suckiness, Bill Hicks goes in my sig this week.)

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 04-12-03 at 10:24 PM.
Old 04-13-03, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Josh-da-man
He wasn't funny at all.

The guy has seriously lost it.

It was difficult to watch, in a (recent) George Carlin sort of way. Though Carlin is occasionally funny and insightful; and doesn't try to come off as Rush Limbaugh with a community college liberal arts degree.

(Edited to add: In honor of Miller's newfound suckiness, Bill Hicks goes in my sig this week.)
15 minutes in and not one laugh, maybe a few smiles.

Although, I liked Carlin's last special, I'm not enjoying this one very much. Maybe it will get better.

I hope so.
Old 04-13-03, 12:33 AM

Yeah, not his best work.
Old 04-13-03, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This was just awful. I like Dennis Miller, but this was complete crap. I laughed a few times, but not at all for the first 1/2 hour. Maybe it would have been better live.
Old 04-13-03, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts
The thing that bugs me about George Carlin is how dark he's gotten.

In the 70s and 80s, he was playful and provacative. But some of his material has just gotten so nihilistic and morbid that its off-putting. Gets more cringes than laughs -- and not in a good way.
Old 04-13-03, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

didn't get a chance to see it, will catch a replay eventually. I went and saw Carlin Live a couple of months a go and he was pretty damn funny. Said that he was going to have a new HBO special coming up, and some of that nights material was going to be used.

Just started listening to Bill Hicks last week, and he's starting to grown on me pretty fast. If only he was alive right now he'd have so much material.

David Cross is my fav right now though.
Old 04-13-03, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I watched some of it, and didn't really care for it that much.

I thought his global warming bit was kinda funny, be seemed more angry, and much more conservative than usual. I didn't remember him being quite so conservative. It kinda seemed to me that he may have been pandering a little bit to the conservative shift in our society, so it felt a little forced.

Also, I have heard some of those jokes before
Old 04-13-03, 01:20 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Not Miller's "A" material, but some funny jokes here and there.
Old 04-13-03, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Yeah, I felt it was pretty week too. Not a lot of laughs.
Old 04-14-03, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

He was a lot funnier on the Daily Show.

This speacial just reused the best jokes he used on his Daily Show appearance plus a lot of extra filler.

The last 20 minutes were just awful, as Miller just went into a long pro-conservative rant. Jeez.

I seem to recall when Dennis Miller was a libertarian. Now he is calling for doing away with our Constitution because it's "old".
Old 04-14-03, 09:17 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Jadzia
Now he is calling for doing away with our Constitution because it's "old".
Do away with? Did you even listen to what he was saying? He didn't even imply that he thought we should "do away" with it.

He simply said that some things could be "refreshed" and/or re-analyzed, something that every democrat I know was calling for after the last election.
Old 04-14-03, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally posted by Jadzia

The last 20 minutes were just awful, as Miller just went into a long pro-conservative rant. Jeez.

I seem to recall when Dennis Miller was a libertarian. Now he is calling for doing away with our Constitution because it's "old".

Yep - same here. I stayed away from this show because I guessed that he would be endlessly ranting about those who oppose the war.
Old 04-14-03, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Bust
Do away with? Did you even listen to what he was saying? He didn't even imply that he thought we should "do away" with it.

He simply said that some things could be "refreshed" and/or re-analyzed, something that every democrat I know was calling for after the last election.
He made fun of people who hold the Constitution as an essential text. And then basically said it shouldn't be relevant anymore. It just seemed like a very anti-American thing for someone to say while he's wrapping himself up in the flag.

The Miller that I used to know & love used to be in favor of individual freedoms. Now he just seems fine with stomping all over them.
Old 04-14-03, 12:26 PM

It appears as if Miller is attempting a relaunch of his career after the NFL and HBO gigs dried up. I guess he figures the direction to go is the bitter old man route previously taken by George Carlin. I have the XM radio and they play a lot of Carlins older stuff and it is SO damn funny. Its a shame that now its just bitter, venomous ramblings. As far as Bill Hicks goes, politics and beliefs aside, the guy wasnt funny IMHO. When listening to his standup, you seem to get a feeling that someone might have abused him as a kid or something..... a really hateful, spiteful person (with some interesting opinions though). Its a matter of taste I guess. I like to walk away from a comedy performance with a smile. Miller may be letting me down in that respect from now on.
Old 04-14-03, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Miller lost me completely when he said that he was glad George W. Bush brought the dignity back to the presidency. Even my more conservative friends laughed at that one when I told them about it.

I tried to ignore his more conservative side (as much as possible) and just enjoy the show if I could. I couldn't. There's plenty to make fun of with liberals, but the material was awful to fair. Robin Williams is probably a Dem and his stuff is just funny. Carlin is probably darker now cause he's older, more bitter and knows he's going to die soon.

As far as the Daily show, Dennis only did 5 minutes or so there. So if he used his best stuff up there he shouldn't have gone on for an hour. And he had done most of that stuff on Bill Maher too.
Old 04-14-03, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I posted about this in a war forum thread but it's obvious Miller is making a calculated career move to become the "conservative comedian." Apparently his explanation for the sudden shift (that coincided with the cancellation of his HBO/MNF gigs) is that Democrats were against school vouchers which is funny because I don't recall them ever being in favor of them. As for the show itself I still thought he had some good lines in the first 10 minutes of the show (the palm pilot joke was great). He will never top his "Black and White" special though, that was one for the ages.
Old 04-14-03, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just remember the good ole days when Miller would make fun of the government-- be it a Democratic or Republican administration. He would always snark on the ineptitude of politicians.

When he said how much he loved Bush, I just wanted to gag.

He used to make fun of both Bush #1 AND Clinton. It's sad to see him pander so much to the current administartion and act like they can do nothing wrong.

Besides, what's funny about saying you agree with people? Making fun of people is funny. Rah-rahing people is not funny.
Old 04-14-03, 04:23 PM
Banned

Location: John "57 Varieties" Kerry represents me in the US Senate.
Dubya displays his mad pattern recognition skillz:
I posted about this in a war forum thread but it's obvious Miller is making a calculated career move to become the "conservative comedian."
Like I said, I saw him on The Daily Show but couldn't catch the HBO special. And maybe I'm misinterpreting - my rightwing paranoia clouds my judgement sometimes - but is there anything "wrong" with this perceived new approach? Perhaps the wild success of Fox News Channel is lighting fires under certain asses, prompting some to conclude, "Y'know what? Conservatives are people too. They enjoy watching TV; they like to laugh. Why not try appealing to them?" On the other hand, maybe the implication is that, since comedy should come "from the heart," a self-conscious effort to re-invent oneself totally reeks of phoniness?
Apparently his explanation for the sudden shift (that coincided with the cancellation of his HBO/MNF gigs) is that Democrats were against school vouchers which is funny because I don't recall them ever being in favor of them.
I'm no expert on this issue (I haven't even formed an opinion on it! ), but maybe he was just floored by (what he saw as) the hypocrisy of the Party of the People staunchly opposing a measure that (its proponents assert) could Help the Little Guy.
Old 04-14-03, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The odd thing is he never talks about school vouchers in his stand-up.

maybe he was just floored by (what he saw as) the hypocrisy of the Party of the People staunchly opposing a measure that (its proponents assert) could Help the Little Guy.
Couldn't he also be floored by the party who usually advocates smaller government, less taxes and personal responsibility staunchly proposing a plan that funnels tax dollars to fancy private schools?

The "party of the people" is not concerned about the few students that might benefit from vouchers; rather the majority of kids who will be left behind in public schools with less funding. After all, private schools can't take everybody.

Not trying to go off topic here, just pointing out that there is a valid other argument to the issue. I support vouchers for public schools-- I think you should be allowed to send your kid across town or across city lines to another school. But I oppose my tax dollars going to finance people's religious upbringing. I don't have kids in the school system but I gladly pay taxes to educate my neighbors. If you're going to "rebate" people who "opt out" of public schools, then the people like me who don't have children in school should also be entitled to some of their tax dollars back as well. It benefits us all to have a public school system.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.