Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

If you've watched Twilight Zone, Outer Limits or Night Gallery, I need your help

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

If you've watched Twilight Zone, Outer Limits or Night Gallery, I need your help

Old 04-10-03, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, I'm trying to find a particular episode that was from one of these three shows. I truly can't remember which it was. Here's what I do remember:

It was a black and white show and the story took place in the south, I believe. It was somewhat modern times and it was about a little white girl with blonde hair about 9 or so and she had a doll, and I think it was a black doll. There was one scene where you saw the little girl playing with the doll, but the doll could become a real person and it was a little black girl around the same age. I remember seeing them playing outside near a big tree. Then in once scene the mother was chasing the little black girl away by swiping at her legs with a switch or something. I don't recall ever hearing the girl speak. After she ran off, the mother found a doll and it was her daughter.

Does anybody remember this or am I drunk?
Old 04-10-03, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Reminds me of an episode of Bewitched where Tabitha was playing with her black girlfriend and they decided they wanted to be sisters so Tabitha cast a spell so that their skin was black and white polka dots.

Sorry, I can't recall the episode/show you're talking about but something sounds very familiar about it.
Old 04-10-03, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
I can't place it, but I am pretty sure all the Night Gallery episodes were in color, so it probably wasn't that.
Old 04-10-03, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm overlooking the black and white thing at the moment trying to track this down. I know I've seen this before, although the doll was not life-sized that I remember.

I have so far looked at every episode synopsis of:

Twilight Zone
Outer Limits
Tales from the Darkside
Tales from the Crypt
Goosebumps
Nightmare Hour
Amazing Stories

searching for doll and girl switching places.

The most common one is Devil Doll and the famous Telly Savalas Twilight Zone with the doll that tells him she will kill him. Devil Doll is the story of a puppet who actually can do things on his own and actually runs his ventriliquist. This basic story has been done several times over in such shows as X-Files, Twilight Zone and I think even an Outer Limits.

I'll keep looking, but this is getting difficult. It might be some inane thing OR it might be an amalgamation of many old sci-fi TV shows that you've connected together.
Old 04-10-03, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Looks like a number of the Night Gallery episodes may have been in b&w (unless it was just the screenshots here), but it's not listed here: http://www.nightgallery.net/episodes.html -- some of these sure look interesting though. Lots of Lovecraft inspired tales.

Doesn't look like the original Outer Limits either: http://epguides.com/OuterLimits_1963/

Doesn't seem to be an original Twilight Zone either, unless I missed something: http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet...237/season-all
Old 04-10-03, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Found it...Alfred Hitchcock Presents episode "Where the Woodbine Twineth"

Here's a page about it: http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet...5/epid-135528/

It is based on the short story "Where the Woodbine Twineth" (also known as "You Never Believe Me") by David Grubb

Whew...that took a bit. I forgot about Hitchcock.
Old 04-11-03, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by elektra
Does anybody remember this or am I drunk?

Given all the searching this request took, I was beginning to think elektra was just drunk.
Old 04-11-03, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Chew
Given all the searching this request took, I was beginning to think elektra was just drunk.
Yeah, and no one has given me a thumbs up or anything...heh.
Old 04-11-03, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by AgtFox
Yeah, and no one has given me a thumbs up or anything...heh.
Old 04-11-03, 11:28 AM

I bow my head in total RESPECT AgtFox. That is impressive bit of TV knowledge you must possess!
Old 04-11-03, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

AgtFox - "That's It!!!!!!!" - elektra yells at the top of her lungs and AgtFox goes spinning over backward (a la Lucy and Schroder).

Thank you very much!!!!!! It came to me with the name Numa. Thank, you thank you, thank you!!!!!!!!

Forget the thumbs up, how about a beer? Coke and a smile?

Chew - these days, don't be surprised to find out I was drunk too!
Old 04-11-03, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

PS - Obviously I forgot about Hitchcock too. Shoot I'm getting old!
Old 04-11-03, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by CaptStormy
I bow my head in total RESPECT AgtFox. That is impressive bit of TV knowledge you must possess!
Actually, the Internet is a wonderful thing. It took me about an hour to track it down. I should have been thinking more horror/spooky TV shows than Sci-Fi orientated shows.

I don't know if it was Elektra, but I actually tracked it down to a couple threads on a Sci-Fi message board (may have been scifi.com itself) where someone was asking about the same episode and a person that replied talked about Alfred Hitchcock and that it may be an episode from there.

Then I just had to track down a synopsis site for Alfred Hitchcock and I found it.

I do research like this all the time for my job. I love the investigative stuff
Old 04-12-03, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

AgtFox - well dang it all if you're not darn good at it too. No, I didn't post on scific message board, but I'm grateful for the coindisidence. Of course, if it was out on DVD that would be even better.