Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

American Idol - 4/8/2003

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Who did you vote for?
Carmen Rasmusen
14.89%
Clay Aiken
19.15%
Joshua Gracin
8.51%
Kimberly Caldwell
4.26%
Kimberly Locke
2.13%
Rickey Smith
8.51%
Ruben Studdard
46.81%
Trenyce
8.51%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

American Idol - 4/8/2003

Old 04-09-03, 09:12 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vocally, Kelly is way better than Christina, she fits any genre.

I agree there's a christina connection with this song but it's not like she's trying to mimick her on purpose. On this song their voices sound the same and yes Kelly was dressed differently from how we're used to seeing her but she looked great and still is in a different category than Christina Aguilera. I respect your opinion but I disagree.

Sure the audience are screaming at anybody but still she got a lot of praise and even though Simon Cowell probably will get money of her album sales, he's an honest guy and wouldn't give her props if she didn't deserve so.

Seriously Kelly might not be your style but before judging her, listen to her album when it's out and then make up your mind and you'll see it does distanciate her above the crowd.

Zuffy, I gave you a listen at her album, how would you describe it to the public ?
Old 04-09-03, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by mcbg1

lol
Old 04-09-03, 09:18 PM
Banned

anyway it's obvious some of you are totally close-minded and won't ever give props to kelly but oh well it's your opinion and you're entitled to it. I won't bother to argue with some of you since my opinion won't matter anyway....
Old 04-09-03, 09:21 PM

The plugs are almost as bad as Gene Simmons!
Old 04-09-03, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh, I would never judge her album without listening to it. I was simply judging tonight's performance. As for Cowell being an honest guy, I cannot speak to that. I like him as an entertainer to be sure, but keep in mind he's in the music industry. Honesty doesn't exactly fit into their business model. Regardless, I'm not trying to imply that he's being intentionally deceitful, just that he's her producer ... he's going to applaud everything she does, good or bad ... just a fact of life.

And I certainly have nothing against Kelly or her "style" (which is still TBD from what I've heard so far). Since she's won the contest, however, I've seen her perform three things (other than those lame Diane Warren ballads ad nauseum): the lame beach movie silliness, a fairly uninspired song on AI, and this latest Aguilera-esque song on AI. Final judgment will of course be reserved until I've heard the album, but as I said before, I haven't heard anything overly promising yet.

Big disagreement with you on Aguilera (which is fine). She may currently be the world's third biggest skank-ho, but her vocal talent is at times staggering. Kelly shows some great promise and range, but I think she has a long way to go to catch up with some of the more polished talents.

das
Old 04-09-03, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Zuffy, I gave you a listen at her album, how would you describe it to the public ?
The songs are OK - good. If you're comparing Kelly's music to Christina's, I'd pick Christina. Kelly don't have a song that really stand out, except for A Moment Like This, IMO.
Old 04-09-03, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth mcbg1 •<HR SIZE=1>anyway it's obvious some of you are totally close-minded and won't ever give props to kelly but oh well it's your opinion and you're entitled to it. I won't bother to argue with some of you since my opinion won't matter anyway.... <HR SIZE=1>

And with that, your argument loses all strength. I was trying to have a discussion with you, and you resort to the "if you don't agree with me, then you're clearly close-minded" argument followed by the "woe is me" passive aggressive approach. Neither is strong on any level and makes it impossible to discuss this subject with you. Enjoy her album.

das
Old 04-09-03, 09:32 PM
Banned

Das Monkey, I agree with you Kelly looked different tonight but she dressed sexy and classy. Christina is all about a 100% skank look because without that, people wouldn't talk about her anymore.

I've listened to Christina sing live a lot and her voice is odd, she has kind of a vibrato problem .

Anyway like I said, Kelly's album is very different from her sappy Diane Warren songs, A Moment Like This and Before Your Love.
The other song she performed on AI was written for the movie so it isn't top-notch material either.

About Miss Independent, it was a project presented to Christina Aguilera but she cut it off her album so they presented it to Kelly who changed the lyrics on some parts of the song. That's where they both got the co-writing credit even though they've never met.

Once again, Kelly's album reflects her range and versatility and it has something everyone will like. It isn't targeted at teenagers anyway. It has a great rock and r'n'b vibe.

Kelly is one of the nicest and most talented people to be in the music business in the last years and I'm sure she has a bright and successful career ahead of her. If you didn't like tonight's performance, don't judge her solely on it.
Old 04-09-03, 09:35 PM
Banned

Originally posted by das Monkey
• Quoth mcbg1 •<HR SIZE=1>anyway it's obvious some of you are totally close-minded and won't ever give props to kelly but oh well it's your opinion and you're entitled to it. I won't bother to argue with some of you since my opinion won't matter anyway.... <HR SIZE=1>

And with that, your argument loses all strength. I was trying to have a discussion with you, and you resort to the "if you don't agree with me, then you're clearly close-minded" argument followed by the "woe is me" passive aggressive approach. Neither is strong on any level and makes it impossible to discuss this subject with you. Enjoy her album.

das

I didn't mean it this way Das, I was just talking about people like briank who make pointless comments. I'm very interested in pursuing this conversation with polite and intelligent people.
Old 04-09-03, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm glad to see Rickey gone. Not only because it was bad but so far I've called every single one voted off. We'll see if I can continue to second-guess what America will not vote for.
Old 04-09-03, 09:37 PM

It isn't targeted at teenagers anyway.
Just curious...who the hell is it targeted at then? I can't imagine anybody BUT teenagers forking over $20 for CD filled with worthless drivel.
Old 04-09-03, 09:40 PM
Banned

Originally posted by zuffy
The songs are OK - good. If you're comparing Kelly's music to Christina's, I'd pick Christina. Kelly don't have a song that really stand out, except for A Moment Like This, IMO.
Excuse me but her album really stands out. You're a fan of pop music anyway since you said to me you really enjoyed Britney Spears's music. Kelly has nothing to do with pop. She's more into bluesy rock and rnb songs. Tastes differ and it's not your cup of tea I guess. If you think Kelly's best song is " A Moment Like This " I guess this is another proof that you like simplified pop music with no real meaning and effort put into it....
Old 04-09-03, 09:41 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Lint
Just curious...who the hell is it targeted at then? I can't imagine anybody BUT teenagers forking over $20 for CD filled with worthless drivel.
Have you heard the CD ? No so don't say it's filled with worthless drivel....

Then it may please some teenages but it fits better to mature people.
Old 04-09-03, 09:46 PM

Simon is a tool, and while he is funny and entertaining to watch, don't think he is always just brutally honest.

He's by far my favorite judge and probably 50% of the reason I watch the show.

Like it was mentioned before about his comments about Lionel last night, obviously that was a planned "joke" from the "mean Simon character". And Lionel's comments tonight with Paula were just a continuing of the ribbing.

Simon is way more honest than the other judges, and isn't afraid to tell someone (especially a contestant he doesn't want to see win) that they performed badly.
But especially this year, he has really been playing up the "mean" character. Ryan Seacrest every show trys to get the crowd against him and boo him (way more than last year). It's like they want/need that character. That is what people want to see.

But don't get blinded by thinking he always says what he feels and thinks. He's got cash on the line when it comes to Kelly's career and performances, ofcourse he is going to be biased and will give her a standing ovation.
Just like a few weeks ago before she performed, Simon said "Kelly is going to come on in a few weeks and blow everyone away, you'll see". How does he know, about her specific performance "live" beforehand. He has a vested interest and isn't going to change his mind now.

I'm glad Kelly won, I voted for her last year, I hope she does well.
I'm just trying to point out that you can't use Simon's (or the audience) reaction as "proof" she did a GREAT performance.
Old 04-09-03, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Man, just a suggestion, but I come in here to find stuff about the current AI. Couldn't the conversation about Kelly's cd take place in Music Talk since it is about her cd and her career?
Old 04-09-03, 09:50 PM
Banned

briank : back then he said her performance would blow everyone away because he had heard her album and which ever song she would choose as a single, it would be good stuff.
Old 04-09-03, 09:54 PM

Originally posted by das Monkey
I like him as an entertainer to be sure, but keep in mind he's in the music industry. Honesty doesn't exactly fit into their business model.
Believe me when I tell you (as I am sure you already know) the music buisness is a dirty rotten stinking filthy buisness...and there is no such things as nice guys.

Anyway...

As far as the tune Kelly did, I am going to have to side with the "it was average" camp. I don't know, it just doesn't blow me away but then again most music today doesn't. It was just too pedestrian and my guess is the rest of the album will ring the same tune with me. I guess I can't articulate eloquently enough why the first few songs I have heard leaves me cold...but they do.

I am sure the album will be a big hit...but with enough hype I bet I could have a huge hit with that album I made covering my faviorte songs using nothing but armpit noises.
Old 04-09-03, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Excuse me but her album really stands out. You're a fan of pop music anyway since you said to me you really enjoyed Britney Spears's music. Kelly has nothing to do with pop. She's more into bluesy rock and rnb songs. Tastes differ and it's not your cup of tea I guess. If you think Kelly's best song is " A Moment Like This " I guess this is another proof that you like simplified pop music with no real meaning and effort put into it....
R&B, jazz, bluesy rock are not what I call my favorite type of music. Some of Britney Spears' songs are catchy that's why I like it. I prefer pop rock / alternative, artists like Sarah McLachlan, Sheryl Crow, Michelle Branch, Vanessa Carlton, REM, Hole, Nirvana, Jewel.
Old 04-09-03, 09:55 PM

I didn't mean it this way Das, I was just talking about people like briank who make pointless comments. I'm very interested in pursuing this conversation with polite and intelligent people.
well I am just saying Christina has proven herself (although her recent image is questionable) with her vocal talent and range.

If Kelly was all that and always has been she would have done something before AI. She has talent and won a big competition.

But when you call people closed minded, I think you have to look at your own track record as well. You seem to have a vested interest in demanding everyone love and buy her new album and have been plugging it for a few weeks nonstop.
So no matter what she sang or how she looked tonight I could predict your comments.
It's not everybody's cup of tea, and doesn't have to be, and that doesn't mean they are closed minded or necessarily "wrong".
Just lke you have the right to make her the star performer of VH1's next Diva special in your mind.
Like I said I like her the best in the competition last year and wish her well.
Haven't been thrilled with what I've seen so far since the ending to AI last year, and don't think the movie will do well. I'll check her album out and see if there are other tracks that might suit me better.
Old 04-09-03, 10:01 PM

briank : back then he said her performance would blow everyone away because he had heard her album and which ever song she would choose as a single, it would be good stuff.
But my point is, it's a "live" performance so he couldn't attest to her actual performance (not the song) before it happened.
That's what the promotional hype tour is for, and that is why he said it.
To sell records.

Once she signed and has an album committed, Simon isn't going to say "oh, sounds too karoke, go sing at a theme park".
He can say that BEFORE he commits to an album.
And if they end up winning, he always have the excuse "you've developed on this show nicely, you've come a long way since then, you are GREAT now" to hype the album.

But it would be shooting himself in the foot if he put Kelly's performance down.
It's $$$ for him, and it'd actually be saying his show DOESN'T WORK.

So there was a ZERO percent chance that he was going to give a negative review.
Old 04-09-03, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth palebluedot •<HR SIZE=1>Believe me when I tell you (as I am sure you already know) the music buisness is a dirty rotten stinking filthy buisness...and there is no such things as nice guys.<HR SIZE=1>

Yeah. I know it's fun to talk about the entertainment industry as cutthroat, but from my experience with the music industry and friends I have that are very entrenched in it, it seems like a nightmare of filth on so many levels. Rosie Perez was on Dinner for Five this week, and she spent a good amount of time talking about this. She got her start in the music industry as a dancer/roadie/hot chick long before Spike Lee ever approached her to act, and she echoed pretty much the same thing about it being an absolutely disgusting industry that she had to get out of if she wanted to look herself in the mirror.

• Quoth palebluedot •<HR SIZE=1>I am sure the album will be a big hit...but with enough hype I bet I could have a huge hit with that album I made covering my faviorte songs using nothing but armpit noises. <HR SIZE=1>

Wanna post that to abm.mp3s?

das
Old 04-09-03, 10:21 PM

STOP!!!
Old 04-09-03, 10:24 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Kelly's song was suckekekekekeke. Simply terrible. Sounded like something En Vogue would have done 10 years ago.
Old 04-09-03, 11:03 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 254 Likes on 192 Posts
I was really disappointed Kim L didn't get voted off. I'm sick of her cheer after Ryan tells her to go and sit down.

Kelly- I thought she was ok.
Old 04-09-03, 11:07 PM

You crazy IMO. X-tina has a great voice!!!!! She as a person is in question but the girl can "sang"!!!

~LP

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.