Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Boston Public - 3/17

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-03, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Boston Public - 3/17

I know that aren't many viewers of this show left, but I thought I would start a thread anyhow.

I actually liked last night's show. First off, there wasn't any singing (well almost). Yes, they still had the musical sub-plot, but it wasn't too bad. Marla was more concerned w/ becoming a vice-prinicipal of the school and I thought it was a nice change of pace. I liked her responses during the board's interview w/ her. We also go to see a little more of Jeri Ryan because of this. Her character seems lacking in appearances lately.

My favorite part of the show was Danny Hanson's (Michael Rappaport) subplot involving the baby-sitting of his niece for his dead-beat sister. I thought they did a really good job w/ this story. Danny Hanson is one of the stronger characters on the show and I was glad to see he wasn't wasted as background. He is still dating the banker, too. He didn't want to become attached to his niece and then get let down like he had been w/ his sister, but his girlfriend encouraged him to keep the kid, instead of giving it to her father's dead-beat sister - which he almost did, but you knew he wouldn't as soon as they began taking her away from him. Anyway, it was a good storyline that was more upbeat than some of the usual crap that they have had lately and some of it was genuinely touching and funny.

Last edited by B.A.; 03-18-03 at 10:44 AM.
Old 03-18-03, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, last night's episode was better than it has been lately.

I liked the interview sequences for the VP job. You could tell Ronnie was just going to nail it and it was great seeing how impressed Harper was with her.

I think I'd prefer seeing her character as a principal, rather than as a teacher.

I'm really tired of the Tamyra Gray subplot already.

I like Danny as a "dad" to his niece.

I like that School District "spy" (the dude from Roswell). He could be an interesting character; hope he sticks around.
Old 03-18-03, 10:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can someone recap the last 15 minutes? I lost it cause of the president's speech.

Thanks.
Old 03-18-03, 10:27 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
I wasn't really paying attention to it, but it didn't seem as bad as it has been.

Marla's interview for the VP job was hilarious, and Jeri Ryan finnaly got more screen time.

Hopefully they'll be done with Tamyra soon.
Old 03-18-03, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Danny decides at the last minute to keep the kid.

The American Idol chick tells off her psycho boyfriend - saying they are through. He slaps her.

Ronnie gets the Assistant Principal job since (she must have gone to Kinkos the night before and made pretty reports ) she came up with some plan to improve school's performance on testing while Marla essentially bitched at the superintendent about how testing doesn't solve anything. Steven actually ended up picking Ronnie.
Old 03-18-03, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 393 Likes on 281 Posts
Loved it when Danny sang to Allison to Allison:

Allison I know this world is killing you.... Ah what a lullabye.

Liked the episode overall. Don't like the Tamara Idol girl story line either but the rest of the show was better than it had been overall.

One question, whats going on with Guber? I have not seen the show for a few weeks, was he fired or is he leaving?
Old 03-18-03, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by jpcamb
One question, whats going on with Guber? I have not seen the show for a few weeks, was he fired or is he leaving?
Guber has a major problem w/ the fact that they will be adding another assistant principal. He thinks he should be the only one and that him and Harper are doing a good enough job running the school by themselves (even thought they are the only school in the district w/ just one asst. principal). I think he feels that he is being pushed aside and he will lose some of his power. It's stupid because Guber is in charge of discipline and the new a.p. will be in charge of academics, particularly in preparing the students for the upcoming tests. It's just more of his "little-man" syndrome shining through.
Old 03-18-03, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by Red Dog

The American Idol chick tells off her psycho boyfriend - saying they are through. He slaps her.

OMG, did she finally change expression?

I know that believability has to be thrown out the window in a show like this, but would a school really promote a teacher with less than two years experience to the position of vice principal?

Honk!
Old 03-18-03, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So now they have two assistant principals? I guess they need it at that school, but I've never heard of any school doing that before. Has David Kelley left this show yet? If he hasn't, it's time! Usually him leaving is what ruins his shows (Picket Fences, Allie McBeal, Chicago Hope), but they need to make some kind of drastic change to save it now.
Old 03-18-03, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Roto
So now they have two assistant principals? I guess they need it at that school, but I've never heard of any school doing that before.
My high school had three assistant principles. One for the vocational center and two to handle discipline and academics.
Old 03-19-03, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
we had 4: one for each grade, plus the head pricipal.