Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

22 Greatest Voices on MTV2

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-03, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22 Greatest Voices on MTV2

Wasn't sure if this belonged in music or tv, since it IS a show...but feel free to move it if it doesn't belong here (like you need my permission!).

The 22 greatest voices (vocalists) as voted by YOU (yes you) the fans. What do you think, does anyone not belong on the list? Who would you add in their place?

22. Bruce Springsteen
21. Sade
20. Michael Stipe
19. Mary J. Blige
18. Thom Yorke
17. Jewel
16. Steven Tyler (oldest member of this list?)
15. Alicia Keys (youngest member of the list?)
14. David Bowie
13. Eminem
12. Chris Cornell
11. Michael Jackson
10. Tupac Shakur
9. Celine Dion
8. Bjork
7. Kurt Cobain
6. Alanis Morissette
5. Christina Aguilera
4. Bono
3. Whitney Houston
2. Freddie Mercury
1. Mariah Carey
Old 03-16-03, 08:12 PM
Banned

Of all these people, Mariah Carey definitely deserves the #1 spot or at least be close to it. She has the most versatile voice.
Old 03-16-03, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where are Bob Dylan and Billy Corgan !?
Old 03-16-03, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No Michael Stipe? Is there no justice in this world of pop crap that calls itself MTV?
Old 03-16-03, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

nice to see Steven Tyler on the list
Old 03-16-03, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by reubs82
No Michael Stipe? Is there no justice in this world of pop crap that calls itself MTV?
Originally posted by harpo787
20. Michael Stipe
Old 03-16-03, 08:41 PM
Banned

Location: John "57 Varieties" Kerry represents me in the US Senate.
Actually, Mike Stipe *is* on there......but that doesn't detract from your thesis about MTV being "pop crap." [Edit: wrote that part before the previous post.]

Eminem at 13 is a slap in the face to everybody numbered 14 through infinity. If I had Dr. Dre pulling my puppet strings, I'm confident that even I could do what Em does.

Kurt Cobain? Eh......I guess it's impolite to speak negatively about the dead, so I won't go there.

But enough hostility. I will say it's nice to see Mariah at number 1, given that it's become very fashionable to mock her in this post-Glitter era.
Old 03-16-03, 08:53 PM
Banned

Originally posted by inVectiVe
But enough hostility. I will say it's nice to see Mariah at number 1, given that it's become very fashionable to mock her in this post-Glitter era.
Its a shame some people diss Mariah so much these days. She's such a talented artist, she has a killer voice and she writes and produces all of her songs. If she had a physical breakdown 2 years ago, it was only due to the fact that she worked so hard, she just needed a little rest. I'm sure without her breakdown, Glitter would have been more successful, though it wasn't great I'll have to admit. It wasn't the worst movie of all time though. Anyway Mariah redeemed herself acting-wise in wisegirls, she has potential if given the right material.

She is a great person who works and does everything in her power to please her fans. I've met her several times and she is truely genuine and down to earth.

She deserves a lot more respect, after all she is the #1 selling female artist of all time and in terms of the most #1 singles for an artist , she is right behind Elvis and The Beatles which is an amazing accomplishment.

Anyway, I just hope some people will realize how great of an artist and person she is.
Old 03-16-03, 09:00 PM
Banned

Thom Yorke at 18 is a travesty. He should be at least Top 10. In my very biased opinion of course. And where's Maynard James Keenan?
Old 03-16-03, 09:17 PM
Banned

Location: John "57 Varieties" Kerry represents me in the US Senate.
Well said, mcbg1.

It upsets me when, based on record sales, *millions* of people obviously enjoy an artist's work, but then something (bad movie, bad interview....) happens and makes it the "in" thing to dis that artist. Like with Vanilla Ice - he sold tons of records, but shortly after, it seemed everybody and their mother hated him. Clearly, then, there were some people who changed their tune just to conform.

I'm glad to see Mariah's fans evidently aren't that "fair-weather." That is to be commended.
Old 03-16-03, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
How nice of them to include people whom they have on heavy rotation.....what a great coincidence for them.

Eminem!!!
The guy is talented at what he does, but the top 20 greatest voices?!?! I'm sure even Em is complaing about that one.
Old 03-16-03, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Sade should be farther up the list. But I'm just happy they remembered her at all.

D
Old 03-16-03, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by clemente
How nice of them to include people whom they have on heavy rotation.....what a great coincidence for them.

Eminem!!!
The guy is talented at what he does, but the top 20 greatest voices?!?! I'm sure even Em is complaing about that one.
He really doesn't sing, this is pretty dumb.
Old 03-16-03, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm just happy Bjork beat out Celine Dion for the #8 spot.
Old 03-16-03, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Firstly..SnoopDogg is right..Em & Tupac shouldn't be on this list..[I added Tupac..]

Secondly..let's stop the Mariah Carey appreciation crap..I don't care if she's sold a CD to every man, woman & animal on the face of the planet. Album "sales" does NOT equal talent. Nor do they equal ACTUAL sales. So cut that sh*t out about "#1 this" "most blah, blah, blah".. Fact of the matter is..her vocals have been on swift decline starting with Butterfly. Sad but true.

As for the rest..I hate them both with a passion, but there's no way Aguilera should be higher than Celine.

And i'm curious..was this a WRITE-IN poll? or did they have a list of artists to choose from..?

As for people left off..George Michael, Marvin Gaye, Fiona Apple, Tracey Thorn, Stevie Wonder, Annie Lennox, Beth Gibbons, Me'shell Ndegéocello, Luther Vandross..plus many, many more..

As I finish typing this, I realize that, yet again, i've been suckered into discussing a channel's/magazine's ridiculous "Best Of.."/"CDs you GOTTA own before you die or else you'll be cursed to forever dwell on the 5th, 6th & 7th levels of hell for all eternity" list..

Stop the madness..

[On a positive note, these types of discussions between DVD Talkers can introduce bands/singers not well known..just stop with the "One And Only [and if you disagree you're not cool]" titles that always precede these lists..]
Old 03-17-03, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm not particularly anti-Mariah (although the Butterfly crap was tiresome years ago, and she seems to whisper more than sing nowadays), but mcbg1, you should just put your Mariah is God stuff in your sig; it would save you a lot of typing.

Anyway, I have no problem with Aguilera being high. When she's not acting like a trash-bag whore, she has an incredible voice.

I'm a pretty big eminem supporter, but that's just stupid. Actually, let me rephrase that: this list is stupid.

das
Old 03-17-03, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Lists are lists. It's not as if some almighty power is dictating law...big deal.

Mariah's voice is not what it used to be. If you've watched a recent performance, she doesn't sing as strongly as previous performances. It's a shame, since she did have an incredibly strong, amazing voice.

I noticed the same with Christina Aguilera and her MTV Mardi Gras perfomance. She didn't even look like she knew the lyrics, which is very, very sad. She didn't do that whole "whoooooooooaaaaa" thing that she usually does as well, either.

I don't mind Eminem and Tupac on the list, since it is a list of voices and vocalists...they are vocalists. Even with an amazing producer or songwriter, you do need talent to be able to rap.

I'm rather indifferent regarding the whole list, though. Bjork is sort of odd, I don't dislike her voice, but I don't think it's very special...just weird.
Old 03-17-03, 06:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I watched the show too, I wasnt too much of a fan of some of the people they put on the list.
Old 03-17-03, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What exactly do they mean by 'greatest voice'? I really don't see much correlation between the people on this list and the quality of their voice. Like Kurt Cobain for example, yes he was a great musician and all, but his actual voice wasn't really a very good one. Nor are many people on this list.
Old 03-17-03, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's because it was voted on by viewers, so of course you're going to have stupid selections like Eminem and Tupac. I see all the complaints about Eminem, but Tupac is number 10! If you're going to vote for a rapper at least pick one with a distinctive voice like Notorious B.I.G. Nelly almost sings sometimes, I'd take him over just about any current popular rapper. Eminem doesn't even have a pleasant speaking voice.

The pleasant surprise is Freddie Mercury at number two. Chris Cornell should be in the top 5, but 12 isn't too bad considering how much popularity factored into this list.
Old 03-17-03, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts
this would be better retitled "most memorable voices"
Old 03-17-03, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Lists from MTV are laughable. MTV wouldn't know good music if it kicked them upside the head. I give their opinions on music the same respect I'd give to a deaf persons'.
Old 03-17-03, 03:24 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Rogue588

Secondly..let's stop the Mariah Carey appreciation crap..I don't care if she's sold a CD to every man, woman & animal on the face of the planet. Album "sales" does NOT equal talent. Nor do they equal ACTUAL sales. So cut that sh*t out about "#1 this" "most blah, blah, blah".. Fact of the matter is..her vocals have been on swift decline starting with Butterfly. Sad but true.

[/B]
Excuse me but those numbers equal total sales ( over 150 million albums sold, not sent to stores ). That woman became famous for her voice and even today she can high notes, no other people have been able to reach. Sure her singing style is different today ( more use of her *whispery* voice ) but that's what she likes, her ex-husband ( Tommy Motolla ex-president of Sony ) used to control her and that's why she divorced him. Right after that she recorded the Butterfly album. She can still sing like in 90 except it's a little bit harder for her.

If you don't like her new singing style, fine. Just stop bitching and trying to say her accomplishments don't matter. She's brought a lot to the music world and she needs more respect.

I love her Charmbracelet album, it's very personnal and offers some great songs like My Saving Grace, Yours, Bringin' On The Heartbreak. I didn't like it at first since it's very different from her previous work but after listening to it a few times, I started to enjoy it and realized how refreshing it was. Even though it's not a hit right now, it has still sold over 3 million copies already.

Edited : to change ' airy voice ' to ' whispery voice ' since someone clearly jealous of Mariah's success *cough*Rogue*cough * thinks my singing vocabulary isn't technical enough...

Last edited by mcbg1; 03-17-03 at 05:21 PM.
Old 03-17-03, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by mcbg1
Excuse me but those numbers equal total sales ( over 150 million albums sold, not sent to stores ). That woman became famous for her voice and even today she can high notes, no other people have been able to reach. Sure her singing style is different today ( more use of her airy voice ) but that's what she likes, her ex-husband ( Tommy Motolla ex-president of Sony ) used to control her and that's why she divorced him. Right after that she recorded the Butterfly album. She can still sing like in 90 except it's a little bit harder for her.

If you don't like her new singing style, fine. Just stop bitching and trying to say her accomplishments don't matter. She's brought a lot to the music world and she needs more respect.

I love her Charmbracelet album, it's very personnal and offers some great songs like My Saving Grace, Yours, Bringin' On The Heartbreak. I didn't like it at first since it's very different from her previous work but after listening to it a few times, I started to enjoy it and realized how refreshing it was. Even though it's not a hit right now, it has still sold over 3 million copies already.
Lighten up Francis.

The topic of this thread is 22 Greatest Voices..not a ridiculous run down of her "accomplishments".

"Airy voice"..?

Anyways...again, numbers can be fixed. What's that you say? Hogwash? There's a great [and RECENT] example relating to Mariah HERE.

And you're saying charmbracelet sold over 3 million copies? According to the LA Times linked article..
So far, however, the results are mixed. "Charmbracelet," Carey's first Island Def Jam album, has sold an estimated 804,000 copies in the U.S. since it hit stores Dec. 3 -- a solid showing but by no means a smash.
So you mean to tell me as of January 18th [the day of article] she's sold 2,196,000 copies?

Right now it's number 77 and there's an icon that states it's hit the "RIAA certification for shipment of 1 million units (Platinum)."

Hmmm

Oh well.

Whatever.

You're right -- since she sold a zillion, trillion albums that MUST mean her voice is gold.

Mariah rules -- whatever was I thinking..

Blah, blah, blah..
Old 03-17-03, 05:10 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Rogue588
Lighten up Francis.

The topic of this thread is 22 Greatest Voices..not a ridiculous run down of her "accomplishments".

"Airy voice"..?

Anyways...again, numbers can be fixed. What's that you say? Hogwash? There's a great [and RECENT] example relating to Mariah HERE.

And you're saying charmbracelet sold over 3 million copies? According to the LA Times linked article.. So you mean to tell me as of January 18th [the day of article] she's sold 2,196,000 copies?

Right now it's number 77 and there's an icon that states it's hit the "RIAA certification for shipment of 1 million units (Platinum)."

Hmmm

Oh well.

Whatever.

You're right -- since she sold a zillion, trillion albums that MUST mean her voice is gold.

Mariah rules -- whatever was I thinking..

Blah, blah, blah..

listen up buddy, I never said she had sold 3 million copies in the US, those numbers are worldwide. As far as the 150 million copies sold and the 15 number 1 singles, look up billboard and you'll see for yourself. Anyway you're not a fan of her, that's alright but stop trying to overanalyse all of my words to find unexisting flaws.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.