Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

If everyone hates Jay Leno, then why is he so popular?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

If everyone hates Jay Leno, then why is he so popular?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-03, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I heard something on the radio a few days ago that a poll was conducted (sample size, I have NO IDEA) for the best hosts with their own TV shows and Leno was towards the top (I think #3). Letterman and, if I remember correctly, Oprah Winfrey were ahead of him. I met Leno, he is a very nice guy. It shocked me he even came by the town I live in (small) and even more that he stayed about 2 hours longer than he was scheduled [when his book came out]. That said, I do think Conan, Letterman, and Kimmel are all around funnier than him, but I watch Leno occasionally for the guests. I haven't seen Kilborn much to decide. Again, like as it has been suggested, maybe people really like him a lot, just not on this forum.
Old 03-14-03, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I wish this debate could end and it would if NBC simply gave Vince Vaughn the Tonight Show gig. Man, he was terrific guesting for Dave.

I remember that when I was MUCH younger there was a short-lived tv show called Police Squad. It either was in the inspirtation for the Naked Gun film or vice versa. It was cancelled very quickly despite good reviews and being totally hilarious. They'd have shootouts in small rooms and one time had a boxer's trainer tell him to "take a dive" and then they'd cut to the boxer who was in scuba gear and dove out of the ring into water. It was canned because Americans weren't smart enough to get the humor. There were many articles about it at the time, so I'm not calling anybody stupid, personally. But they are.

Most people need their humor spoon fed to them and you had to think to understand the jokes on Police Squad. I've always thought it was the same with Dave. I also see quite a bit of that in Jon Stewart. "Is this Anything?" "Beat the Clock," and "Will it Float," aren't funny the same way dumb people on "Jaywalking" is. A lot more people can sit back and laugh at those morons on "Jaywalking" without thinking once. But with a lot of the stuff on Letterman it's not straight foward humor, it takes thought to get why it's funny. And sometimes it's not, which with the way Dave can react and ad-lib to something usually makes it even funnier than a perfectly done skit or joke on Leno.

But the fact that Leno has better lead-ins, affiliates, guests because of being in LA, and being a totally safe and mostly boring interviewer are all part of it.
Old 03-14-03, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I pretty much agree with everything that's been said above me... except the few people who actually like Leno However, to add a little something to the "it takes a lot more intelligence to 'get' Dave, and most people just don't have it" argument, I can easily see how the average person could flip to Dave and watch a segment of "Is This Anything," "Beat the Clock," "Will It Float," etc... and think that it's just stupid and that there's no humor at all in it, but they could watch Jaywalking over and over again, and laugh everytime. I can easily see someone doing this - I happen to think this person is an IDIOT!

However, I cannot for the life of me see how ANYONE could compare the interviews, or the monologues, or the ad-libbing, or the interaction between host/band leader, and NOT see that Dave is so clearly better than Leno that it's just plain sad the Jay gets better ratings.

That said, I think Jay's a very nice guy from what I've seen, and in the right situation, he can be very funny. The way his show is produced, and the material he works with on it though, just plain isn't!
Old 03-14-03, 11:12 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
A lot of people were getting to the answer.

Leno is simply the lowest common denominator of late night.
Old 03-14-03, 11:26 PM

I cant believe nobody mentioned "Dr. Phil's Words of Wisdom"
Old 03-15-03, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Many people find Leno funny.

Many people find Letterman funny.

Liking one over the other doesn't mean that you're any smarter than anybody else. So, if you're measuring your intelligence on what late night talk show you watch, the joke is on you. Get over yourselves. Period. End of ****ing sentence.
Old 03-15-03, 02:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Charlie Goose
Many people find Leno funny.

Many people find Letterman funny.

Liking one over the other doesn't mean that you're any smarter than anybody else. So, if you're measuring your intelligence on what late night talk show you watch, the joke is on you. Get over yourselves. Period. End of ****ing sentence.
Ok, Jay, don't get your chin all bent out of shape.

Old 03-15-03, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts
Re: If everyone hates Jay Leno, then why is he so popular?

Originally posted by Gallant Pig
I don't think I've ever met anyone who enjoyed him and his show.
But isn't everyone you've probably discussed this with a lot like you? I'm guessing... male, Gen X?

Try asking a retiree in Florida, a soccer mom in Nebraska, a logger in Oregon....

My point is, you can't poll a few 21 year old guys and say "everyone" hates Leno.
Old 03-15-03, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Chew
Yeah, but he stole that bit from the British: "Is it Buoyant?"
yeah but jay stole practically all his sketch comedy from dave! (i.e headlines, jaywalking, and american fido for instance)
Old 03-15-03, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by JonTurner
but they could watch Jaywalking over and over again, and laugh everytime. I can easily see someone doing this - I happen to think this person is an IDIOT!
have you seen that osbournes episode when ozzy's watching jay one night?!? it's the perfect example!!!
Old 03-15-03, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

someone is a Leno fan.
Old 03-15-03, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Honestly I can't stomach the guy, or Letterman for that matter...but the guests that both get plays a huge factor. I find him just as dull as the next guy (O.J. jokes are no longer funny), but if he has a celebrity I care about, then I'm watching solely for the interview. Honestly who watches for the host anyway...just skip the monologue and go straight to the interview.

Now Conan and Jimmy are the complete opposite. I'm a fan of both and could care less who the guests are, but watch just for the comedy bits.

Now if anyone should drop off the face of the earth, it should be Carson Daly.
Old 03-15-03, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 432 Posts
i watch dave.

i think the ratings for leno took off when he had hugh grant on right after he was arrested for solictiting the hooker.

ever since then leno has had the upper hand in the ratings.
so there is another example of lowest denominator...

hooker jokes equal ratings.

i think jay can be very crude at times.
he tries to make sexy type jokes with the more attractive female guests but to me he comes accross as being crass or rude more then funny.
Old 03-15-03, 07:46 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by whotony
i watch dave.

i think the ratings for leno took off when he had hugh grant on right after he was arrested for solictiting the hooker.

ever since then leno has had the upper hand in the ratings.
so there is another example of lowest denominator...

hooker jokes equal ratings.

i think jay can be very crude at times.
he tries to make sexy type jokes with the more attractive female guests but to me he comes accross as being crass or rude more then funny.
You bring up a good point. I too recall that being a swing point for Leno. And I agree with you on how he gets along with female guests. His high-pitched cackle is also very annoying. I think Craig Kilborn and David Letterman are much better with the ladies. Conan and Jimmy kiss a little too much ass on hot women guests for my taste and Jay is just a moron.
Old 03-15-03, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by Alyoshka
someone is a Leno fan.
I watch Jay Leno for five minutes a week. Headlines on Monday nights. That's it. I used to watch Letterman all the time, now I tune in maybe once a week.

Honk!
Old 03-16-03, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by X
A lot of people were getting to the answer.

Leno is simply the lowest common denominator of late night.
Yep......and people are lazy and stupid.
Old 03-16-03, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I watch Jay Leno for five minutes a week. Headlines on Monday nights. That's it. I used to watch Letterman all the time, now I tune in maybe once a week.
That is the only thing I watch on Leno, I skip everything else, but even then, I don't even bother to tune in for it.
Old 03-16-03, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...because he's a former WCW superstar
Old 03-16-03, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)

yeah..at least Dave left all the wrestling to Andy Kaufman & Jerry Lawler..
Old 03-17-03, 06:24 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Letterman is probably the worst, his humor is soooooo dry, I can't believe people find him funny. I could easily watch the rest, just get rid of Dave!
Old 03-18-03, 03:41 AM

Sadly, it's habit.

I only catch the Tonight Show reruns that air late late night / early mornings, and even when they aren't particularly funny, it's a comfort thing... kind of the same as keeping up with Braves' box scores and scratching off game tickets -- every once in a blue moon, something good comes of it be it a great guest, a memorable line, or just a funny blunder (actually more probable).

Conan though is tops... Bill Mahr(?) was great too.