Reload this Page >

the west wing 2/19

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

the west wing 2/19

Old 02-19-03, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the west wing 2/19

what can i say but this show has it all...drama, comedy, and hot speechwriting interns! anyway, once again, i was enjoying the entire hour and the two calls i got during the hour were appropriately answered by the machine so as not to miss any of the greatness.

the precedits scene was highly enterating as bartlett lays down the ultimatum, 'get out or we remove you'. however, it will be interesting to see how it plays out next week due to the complications that arise at the end of this week's show.

sam, it was great to see again. some have said that they don't miss him, but i do. i can live with will, but there will always be a soft spot with me for sam and the way he interacted with everyone. i am still holding out hope that rob lowe will come to his senses but not much.

will is comin along nicely. always good to see josh molina, especially in something aaron sorkin writes.

charlie....i can't wait for him to b!+ch slap the french loser and get zoe back. and he and toby getting arrested was classic.

once again, a great hour of television.
Old 02-19-03, 10:05 PM

I was out of the house tonight and missed the entire episode. Is there a site out there that can give me a good synopsis? Thanks.
Old 02-19-03, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't know why they haven't used Rob Lowe much more...it seemed like they were trying to down play his importance and the show ended....what a waste...
Old 02-20-03, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Toby and Charlie getting arrested...great stuff.
Will and the interns...great idea.
Old 02-20-03, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by SiberianLlama
I was out of the house tonight and missed the entire episode. Is there a site out there that can give me a good synopsis? Thanks.
Here is a "recaplet" from televisionwithoutpity.com:

http://www.televisionwithoutpity.com...w=4&story=4683
Old 02-21-03, 01:53 PM
BT
DVD Talk Special Edition

Charlie and Toby confronting the angry republican and cut to the police station for fingerprinting...

Will and the interns, 3 Lauras and a Cassie

Good stuff every week. I like how consistent this show is.

-BT
Old 02-21-03, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 602 Likes on 486 Posts
This was a very good episode - one of the best of the season.

I find it ironic that they have these storyline of the annoying French guy (and how Bartlett, Charlie, and everyone else hates him) at the same time that France-bashing is in vogue in the real world.

I loved those interns in the Redskins jerseys. Yum.
Old 02-21-03, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Kube
...it seemed like they were trying to down play his importance and the show ended....what a waste...
Well, doesn't that make sense? He is leaving the show, so they really just want to use these episodes as a clear transition.

If they turned these episodes into "The Rob Lowe Show", it would just be more jarring when he leaves.

I enjoyed it a lot. The interns <--
Old 02-21-03, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Red Dog
...at the same time that France-bashing is in vogue in the real world.
I work with a coupla Canadians. France-bashing is a daily routine.

"Only thing worse than a Frenchman is a Frenchman who lives in Canada." -- Ted Nugent

I found it funny that one of the newspapers mentioned has a circulation of zero.
Old 02-21-03, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 142 Likes on 97 Posts
Good episode all around. The one question I have is why on earth didn't Toby's ex-wife just slap him for all the flying (and the size) remarks? I can't believe he and Charlie got arrested, that is just classic!
Old 02-21-03, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Wizdar
"Only thing worse than a Frenchman is a Frenchman who lives in Canada." -- Ted Nugent
Sounds a lot like my mantra (Nugent's a thief!): "the only thing worse than a Canadian ... is a French-Canadian."

das

P.S. Of course, this is all in good fun (until some jerkwad decides to take it overly personal).
Old 02-21-03, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

bboisvert...

it's a waste not to use him while he was still on contract JUST because he was leaving the show...there were a lot of stories to tell about his campaign, establishing himself in the shadow of hs former job etc.

They could have used him weekly as one of the many subplots they cram into each episdoe.
Old 02-22-03, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by das Monkey
Of course, this is all in good fun
Always. No jerkwads here, right?
Old 02-22-03, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth Wizdar •<HR SIZE=1>Always. No jerkwads here, right? <HR SIZE=1>

Aside from you and me? I hope not.

das
Old 02-22-03, 11:06 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 575 Likes on 334 Posts
My grandfather was French-Canadian, so I am descended from such hardy stock,and I am a jerkwad, so I take offense at your denigration of French-Canadian jerkwads. Don't do it again, eh?
Old 02-22-03, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Discussion of The West Wing in 500 ft.

das
Old 02-22-03, 11:18 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 575 Likes on 334 Posts
Oh, yeah. It was a good episode. You just knew Winnie was going to be hired for Will's staff sooner or later. My wife thinks she's annoying, but I like her.

I'm really going to miss Rob Lowe. Who was the actor playing his (now fired) compaign manager? He always seems to play an a**hole.
Old 02-22-03, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I wonder if the producers will decide to make Rob Lowe lose his campaign just to get back at him because of the contract dispute. That would be pretty funny.
Old 02-22-03, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Bandoman
Who was the actor playing his (now fired) compaign manager? He always seems to play an a**hole.
His name is Matthew Glave, and yeah, he seems to play a lot of hard-nosed cop/doctor/lawyer roles. (Heh ... like there are any other roles on television than cops, doctors, or lawyers )

das
Old 02-22-03, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Aside from you and me? I hope not.

“Humor. It’s a difficult concept.”

I guess I better watch my a**. I just noticed the sticky in Otter…

Look for the NEW escargot-flavored Bando<sup>TM</sup> brand Potato Chips coming to a store near you.

Because it’s all about the potato.
Old 02-22-03, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth Wizdar •<HR SIZE=1>

“Humor. It’s a difficult concept.”
<HR SIZE=1>

"We learn by doing."

das
Old 02-22-03, 02:35 PM

i like winnie (can't call her elsie) where she is now. she seems to be doing work for the first lady and appears realistic at that spot. if she joins the intern squad i wouldn't mind much, though, since she would probably get more airtime.
Old 02-22-03, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
They have to keep the intern squad!

I may start an on-line petition!!
Old 02-23-03, 01:05 PM
BT
DVD Talk Special Edition

His name is Matthew Glave, and yeah, he seems to play a lot of hard-nosed cop/doctor/lawyer roles. (Heh ... like there are any other roles on television than cops, doctors, or lawyers )

das
Most recently we saw "Mr. Gulia" (as most of us know him from the Wedding Singer) on the tv show The Shield as a murdering firefighter.

Originally posted by Wizdar
I found it funny that one of the newspapers mentioned has a circulation of zero.
I caught that too! "The Daily Pilot" is an OC paper isn't it? I think my college newspaper has a larger circulation . I thought they were talking about the San Pedro News Pilot, which went out of publication a while ago.

-BT
Old 02-23-03, 01:07 PM

I have to agree......Another top-notch WW episode!

(God! How I want this show on DVD in Region 1 box sets!
Whenever I see this nice-looking DVD set [on Amazon.co.uk ], I want it all the more.) .............

Oh, well....some day, when we're old and gray.

Anyway...........

Was glad to see Lily Tomlin get a bit more screen time on the last program. While I, too, liked Rob Lowe and Kathryn Joosten (as Mrs. Landingham), you gotta very much like the people they got to replace these vital characters.

Couple of technical questions (perhaps somebody will know)........

Has anybody else noticed how "dark"-looking a lot of the scenes are on The West Wing series? There never seems to be much color filling my TV while watching it. And the contrast of the film prints themselves seem to be set very low. Not very bright.

I'm assuming this is done intentionally by Sorkin and Company. Am I correct?

I tried turning up my Brightness and Contrast, but that makes the image look much worse.

Anyhow, no big deal really, always love the episodes. Just wondered if anybody else had noted how darkly the show is presented.

Also......Anybody know how they film the scenes aboard the Hollywood version of Air Force One? Is the authenticity of the plane's interior just as finely-detailed as the rest of The West Wing's sets?

Being an avid fan of aviation and aircraft (especially Boeing's mighty 747 ), I'm always delighted to see these scenes filmed on their aircraft "mock-up" (if that is indeed what they use).

I know they use a "matting" process whenever they have to show Martin Sheen (et al) descending the stairs of AF1. But it sure looks realistic. Looks like he's gettin' off the real deal.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.