Reload this Page >

I just got digital cable, questions?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 02-15-03, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why are some of the basic digital cable channels subscription (G4, most of the secondary mtv channels but I get mtv2 and vh1 classics)
and how can I get 5.1 sound? Would I have to get a 5.1 cable and plug it into the back?
Old 02-15-03, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it may differ since different companies handle different regions, but my local willow grove comcast digital cable doesn't have 5.1 capabilities yet.

for the secondary mtv channels all i get mtv and mtv2, the others require another package upgrade.

digital cable, what i'm getting atleast, sucks. sucks bad. channel surfing is painfully slow, the remote is akward, the on screen bar stays up to long, the picture isn't that great (infact some channels are better through regular cable) and it pixelates alot.

i'd love to get rid of it but i like being able to see what show is on without having to use the tv guide channel, and i also like a few of the music channels. plus for some reason there is only 3 regular HBO channels while digital has a bunch more, but they dropped some of the WHBO channels for more spanish hbos.

also, probably a long shot, but for whatever reason channels 330 to 327 i get. those are extra cinemax channels. it's not a free preview since i've had them for like 3 weeks now and it is only those channels and nothing unblocked on regular. might be worth it to check it out.
Old 02-15-03, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

yea my box says dolby digital...but i cannot find a coax or optical out on the back...maybe mine isnt 5.1 oh well, its no big deal, i run it through my vcr anyways...just gripes me though
Old 02-15-03, 10:13 AM

For most places digital is only referring to the (in my opinion, false) digital picture. If you want to get 5.1 you need to get a satellite dish.
Old 02-15-03, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts
I have Cox Digital Cable and the box has a coaxial output. When a movie on a premium channel is broadcast in 5.1 it sounds pretty good... depending on the movie, of course.
Old 02-15-03, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
This is the back of my Cable Box (Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000)

I believe the Digital Out is for Dolby 5.1 playback (I don't have a surround sound set so I am unsure)
Old 02-15-03, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Satellite, baby. The only way to go.
Old 02-15-03, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

With the box being up too long, just hit the enter button and its gone.
Old 02-15-03, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
Some cable providers try to cheat you out of the 5.1 sound which you should be able to get over digital cable. I got digital cable about a year or so ago but gave it up quick because comcast didn't give me a box with 5.1 outputs, the receiver was very slow to change channels, and I had to put up with advertisements every time I changed channels. Plus the channel quality was pretty bad over digital cable.

Well I just got comcast's new HD package and I'm a lot happier this time around; all the previous faults were corrected. I've got my optical outputs, the receiver is a lot faster, and I can turn advertisements to minimal. I'm not much of a tv watcher but I'm glad I've got TCM and Sundance

Michael
Old 02-15-03, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

For my system, Sundance is subscription but I get TCM in regular basic cable. And even with 7 tv's in the house (5 with digital cable), the picture imo is fine.
Old 02-15-03, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 602 Likes on 486 Posts
Originally posted by huzefa
Satellite, baby. The only way to go.

True, unfortunately, some of us are directionally-challenged.

Rypro - you're in Balto County, so you have Comcast, right? If so, I assume it is like my Comcast in Alexandria. I have the Gold package which gives me all the HBOs, MAXs, SHOWs, and TMCs. It also includes all the channels in the 100s. It costs around $90.

Personally, I think the channel switching, menu and program guide for dig cable work faster than satellite (D-TV) features I have used at friend's places.
Old 02-15-03, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yea, I would much rather have satellite....but where I live, it is not a possiblity.
Old 02-15-03, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Red Dog

Originally posted by costanza187
Yea, I would much rather have satellite....but where I live, it is not a possiblity.
How come?
Old 02-15-03, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Rypro - you're in Balto County, so you have Comcast, right? If so, I assume it is like my Comcast in Alexandria. I have the Gold package which gives me all the HBOs, MAXs, SHOWs, and TMCs. It also includes all the channels in the 100s. It costs around $90.

Personally, I think the channel switching, menu and program guide for dig cable work faster than satellite (D-TV) features I have used at friend's places.
I don't know what "package" I have but I get most of the original 100 plus basic digital channels, all hbo's, all cinemaxes, all showtimes, all starz, and all encores, but I don't get any tmc's at all or Mystry, or action or what ever. It costs me like 9.00 a month.
Old 02-15-03, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Rypro 525
I don't know what "package" I have but I get most of the original 100 plus basic digital channels, all hbo's, all cinemaxes, all showtimes, all starz, and all encores, but I don't get any tmc's at all or Mystry, or action or what ever. It costs me like 9.00 a month.
Don't want to sound like a broken record here, but you can get all those channels (and probably some more) for $79.99 with dishnetworks' everything pak. That includes the fee for local channels wherever offered. I'm sure DTV has a similar price on its everything package.
Old 02-15-03, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

My problem with satilite is that if you want to watch more than one program, you have to have more than one reciever. Thats why we got cable in the first place, you can have 7 tvs and watch different programs at the same time. We only got digital (other than that I begged), since comcast decided that feb 17, they are going to scramble the priemnium channels uless you have a box.
Old 02-15-03, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts
JoeyOhhh, I have the same box and you are correct. When I put on a pay channel and I see the words "The following program is broadcast in Dolby Digital 5.1"... it's a beautiful thing
Old 02-16-03, 07:36 AM

Man, I want to move where you live. All them channels for only $9.00 a month
Old 02-16-03, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 602 Likes on 486 Posts
Huzefa - if you don't face south (or southwest in my case for Direct TV which what I would get), you can't receive the satellite signal (either Dish or D-TV).

For my apt, I miss it by about 10 degrees.

Rypro - that is kind of strange because I don't get STARZ in my package. There is one level higher (Platinum) so I assume STARZ comes with that.
Old 02-16-03, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My problem with satilite is that if you want to watch more than one program, you have to have more than one reciever. Thats why we got cable in the first place, you can have 7 tvs and watch different programs at the same time. We only got digital (other than that I begged), since comcast decided that feb 17, they are going to scramble the priemnium channels uless you have a box.
Don't you have to have more than one digital cable receiver for each tv?
Old 02-16-03, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Huzefa - if you don't face south (or southwest in my case for Direct TV which what I would get), you can't receive the satellite signal (either Dish or D-TV).
Yeah, that sucks. Anyway, if you're really desperate and want to get away from digicable, there's always the Bell expressvu option. www.expressvu.com
Old 02-16-03, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Man, I want to move where you live. All them channels for only $9.00 a month
its that for the digital channels, the regular cable channels cost money too.
Don't you have to have more than one digital cable receiver for each tv?
Only if you want digital cable. If you just want regular cable, you can have it on any tv, so thats why I prefer cable over satilite.
Old 02-16-03, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Only if you want digital cable. If you just want regular cable, you can have it on any tv, so thats why I prefer cable over satilite.
Oh, ok. It just sounded like you have digital cable (not the regular cable).