Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Clone High is racist

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-03, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
• Quoth Venusian •<HR SIZE=1>i bet if they were making fun of MLK we would hear protests in the U.S., probably coming from Jesse and Al, like when barbershop came out <HR SIZE=1>

Yep ... and everyone else would call them grandstanding jackasses too, like when Barbershop came out.

das
Old 02-04-03, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey, this cartoon is pretty frickin' funny, so I hope this stupid bickering just gives the show more publicity. My God, people, take a joke.

Do you see me, a Christian, sh*tting bricks over the Jesus clone on the show, a gangsta? No, because I can take a joke.

And you know what? I guarantee that both Jesus and Ghandi could take a joke, too.
Old 02-04-03, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

"Jesus and Gandhi were sittin' at a bar..."
Old 02-04-03, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I don't understand the sentiment that people who watch these shows don't know anything about the characters they are satirizing. Honestly, if you don't know who the real people are, is the joke even funny? To make fun of something does not mean you are insulting them, not necessarily. And to find humor in a character patterned after Ghandi, you either are laughing at his oh so funny accent (eh) or understand who Ghandi is, so as to be able to see the humor in placing his character in this other circumstance. Satire needs knowledge, otherwise it's another type of humor.
Old 02-04-03, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I personally think that the general U.S. public, even the youths, know damn well who Gandhi is. No, they don't know his whole history, nor do they fully comprehend the extent of his exact worth to Indians, but they have enough general knowledge to pick up on the satire.

It's pretty hypocritical to let such travesties as Christian and U.S. historical figures mockeries a la Saturday Night Live, MAD TV, MAD Magazine, South Park, whatever, have their day in the sun, but go ballistic when that same satire is used for your own idol.

Or is the argument that no Christian or U.S. historical figure is anywhere near as sacred, reverant as Gandhi? I call BS on that. We got equal rights and the First Amendment here, so when it comes to satire, it's open season on any personality.

Just my take on it. Flame away.
Old 02-04-03, 10:08 PM
Needs to provide a working email

Originally posted by huzefa
Americans don't bitch about it, but Indians sure do. And why would Americans bitch about it anyway? To Americans, Gandhi was a great man, but to Indians, Gandhi was not just a greatman but also the father of the country. There is a much bigger stake
Yeah? Well, to Indians cows are gods. So should we drop all cow-based humor to satisfy them? Myself, I'd rather sit down and have a nice, jucy Indian-ancestor burger. And since I don't take MTV, I can simply sit around and make fun of various animal-headed and multi-armed gods, while laughing over the "outrage" felt by a country that still clings to a repugnant caste system that allows local village councels to sentence a boy's sister to gang-rape for his dating outside of his caste. Screw India.

Last edited by Darren Garrison; 02-04-03 at 10:12 PM.
Old 02-04-03, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Darren Garrison
Yeah? Well, to Indians cows are gods. So should we drop all cow-based humor to satisfy them? Myself, I'd rather sit down and have a nice, jucy Indian-ancestor burger. And since I don't take MTV, I can simply sit around and make fun of various animal-headed and multi-armed gods, while laughing over the "outrage" felt by a country that still clings to a repugnant caste system that allows local village councels to sentence a boy's sister to gang-rape for his dating outside of his caste. Screw India.

You just make it too easy.
Old 02-04-03, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

yeah, darren, do some research before you post
Old 02-05-03, 06:09 AM
Needs to provide a working email

Originally posted by Venusian
yeah, darren, do some research before you post
Research as to wherther "huzefa" was serious, or research as to my statements? Because everything I said was cold, hard facts. If you don't believe me, I can point you to many articles on the repugnant caste system these superstitious twits have.
Old 02-05-03, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Darren Garrison
Research as to wherther "huzefa" was serious, or research as to my statements? Because everything I said was cold, hard facts. If you don't believe me, I can point you to many articles on the repugnant caste system these superstitious twits have.
I am serious. Everything I say is true. However, most of the stuff in your post amounts to trolling. You probably will never know the diversity of India but here's a little taste: NOT ALL INDIANS ARE HINDUS. Did you get that? Yes there is a caste system, yes its repugnant, but you know what.... i'm not a part of it. I never have been, I never will be. I eat all the meat I want (Just last week I clogged my arteries with more beef than any man should at Marie's ChopHouse). A cow is not a god to me; I like cows just as much as the next guy but I'll only worship it if it's char-broiled and sitting on my plate. Oh, but you're still angry about the caste system; well why don't you a) do something about it or b) get over it? No sense in seething over something you have no control over (I don't). And if you like go ahead and make fun of the all the funnyheaded gods and multi-armed animals; i don't really care about that but somebody else might be offended; so take your chances. Besides you don't see me making fun of your long-hair hippied version of God who in all the pictures I've seen is white like snow, but happened to live in the middle east. Do you have anything more to add to your insanely backward post?
Old 02-05-03, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

No sense in seething over something you have no control over (I don't).
Hello, kettle? This is pot. You're black.
Old 02-05-03, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Morf
Hello, kettle? This is pot. You're black.
Not entirely true. I'm not seething over this; I'm just pissed at it. I will get over it by the time Friends is on tomorrow night. Darren Garrison, on the other hand, sought out this thread to express all the crass generalization he has in his mind about India. He didn't just make this stuff up on the fly; it probably was in his mind for a while.
Old 02-05-03, 11:18 AM
Banned

huzefa-

The caste system is a terible thing. For you to dismiss it as being acceptable simply because you lack the power to do something about it, is an outrage. That would be like me saying that racism is OK because I lack the power to stop someone from being racist. True, I can't police the world, rooting out racism where ever it hides, but that doesn't mean I think racism is good

So because you are powerless to stop it, you think it's OK and we should just "get over it."?

Last edited by Pants; 02-05-03 at 11:22 AM.
Old 02-05-03, 12:21 PM
Banned

Besides you don't see me making fun of your long-hair hippied version of God...
You mean...Buddy Christ?

Old 02-05-03, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Pants
huzefa-

The caste system is a terible thing. For you to dismiss it as being acceptable simply because you lack the power to do something about it, is an outrage. That would be like me saying that racism is OK because I lack the power to stop someone from being racist. True, I can't police the world, rooting out racism where ever it hides, but that doesn't mean I think racism is good

So because you are powerless to stop it, you think it's OK and we should just "get over it."?
The caste system is a terrible thing, but my point is I'm not a part of it, neither is anyone I know. However if somebody came up to me and said, "Give us a hand while we get rid of this caste system", I would say Of course I will!. But he seems to be very upset about the caste system; maybe he should do something about it.
Old 02-05-03, 04:56 PM
Mod Emeritus

Hmmm... you know, I *think* this started out having something to do with TV.