Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Sorry about timing but was superbowl sunday's episode of "Alias" good to start on?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Sorry about timing but was superbowl sunday's episode of "Alias" good to start on?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-03, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I taped it that night, and was gonna get around to it but Entertainment Weekly kind of said that it went away from the original episodes, starting over and stuff and that it is possible that it had jumped the shark already. Is the episode truely that bad. And also will ABC Family do another marathon of episodes like last season?
thanks.
Old 02-01-03, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you've never seen an episode of "Alias", you should watch it.

If you have seen an episode of "Alias", you should watch it.

The reactions from people have been mixed. Some people disliked the episode, others loved it. It does completely change everything, so if you have been a fan of "Alias", you should view your tape.

And I don't watch a lot of ABC Family, but I haven't noticed any promotion for "Alias" lately, so I doubt it. IMO, they probably just aired the marathon to promote the new show/season, but I don't think they will do it again. You never know, though.
Old 02-01-03, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you can't immediately track down all the episodes that have already aired, then this is as good a point to jump into the series as any. I've refered to the episode as a "reboot." All the characters are the same, but their environment is completely changed by this episode. For those of us who know the show, it adds an interesting dimension; for those new to the show, it's probably the best entry point to the series other than the original pilot. In fact, J.J. said he was treating this episode in the spirit of a second pilot. What came before was incredibly cool, but if you can't get to it until the DVDs in September, then jump on board now.

As for EW, they're a bunch of jokers over there. The episode certainly was different, and it has received mixed (but mostly positive from what I've heard) reaction. As a viewer from day one, there were some things I disliked and others I thought rocked. It's a new beginning, and to speculate that the show has "jumped the shark" (*cringes*) without seeing what will happen next is really quite absurd.

I agree with the creator that there was only so much more they could do with the current storyline, and I think the new direction is filled with possibilities. I'll miss some of the old threads that have been wrapped up, but I can't wait to see what they have in store for us now. I'm very excited for the future of the show.

das
Old 02-01-03, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

ew said that this was the biggest change for a show since Rosanne's family won the lottery.
Old 02-01-03, 07:48 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't remember anybody saying that that episode was bad. On this and another board, I've seen people say it was the best episode of the series and I definitely disagree with that. But it was a very good episode. If you've never seen an episode before, there's a lot of stuff you're not going to know and the last 5 minutes aren't going to mean much to you, but it's still a good jumping on point. Since day 1, it's been a hard show for a casual viewer to get into, but I've been amazed at some of things they've done to make it accessible.
Old 02-01-03, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Rypro 525
ew said that this was the biggest change for a show since Rosanne's family won the lottery.
I think that's an unfair comparison, especially since you have to realize that "Alias" takes place in a sort of "alternate universe", like a comic book, whereas viewed expected "Roseanne" to be a realistic show. After winning the lottery, "Roseanne" starting becoming unbelieveable, whereas in "Alias", it's always been a bit far-fetched. One never had to question anything on "Roseanne" until they wonder the lottery.
Old 02-01-03, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
Hey… isn’t this that show about the hot chick in lingerie?

-k
###
Old 02-01-03, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
• Quoth Rypro 525 •<HR SIZE=1>ew said that this was the biggest change for a show since Rosanne's family won the lottery. <HR SIZE=1>

I agree with freedexter. While there was a "change," it was not only realistic within the confines of the show, but it was also something the show had been building towards. The comparison to Roseanne is pretty silly.

I also agree with nny. While I don't think it's the best episode of the series, it's probably in my Top 5. The success with which they executed such a major shake-up is really astounding. Yeah, I think it could have been better, but their task was immense. They reinvented the show, maintained its strengths, appeased old viewers, added senseless T&A for new viewers, and provided one of the best "holy crap" moments in recent memory.

I have no doubt Alias will continue to kick ass ... just in a different way.

das
Old 02-01-03, 11:24 PM

This is the same EW that claimed "Last Exit to Springfield" was the best Simpsons episode ever, when we all know it was "You Only Move Twice" Seriously though, I have seen every episode of Alias and I'd have to say that this show not only hasn't jumped the shark, but there isn't even a shark in the water. Last week's episode was a great, (I agree with top 5) and is going to be your best bet for jumping on. This is one of the few shows I clear my schedule for.
Old 02-15-03, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Sorry, but I watched my three episode marrathon today and loved every min. My only problem is that there is sometimes a commercial every 5 min!!! Great way to start off the first episode with the t&a scene set to "Back In Black" But can someone help me with a song? It was in episode 2 (the one with Ethan Hawke), for the ones who have a tivo, go to the love scene at the end (don't watch it with your wife), what song is playing in the backround? It sounds like either coldplay or Dave Mathews but I can't figure it out. Great series everyone, and I am pissed like everyone else who hates having no episode this weekend and having to wait until next week. Also, can someone email me non nude pics. Has she been in anyother movies other than Daredevil and Dude, where's my car?

Last edited by Rypro 525; 02-15-03 at 09:47 PM.