Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

das - how many vcr's/tivo's do you own???

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

das - how many vcr's/tivo's do you own???

Old 01-31-03, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by Jadzia
Patman, you finally got a PVR?

That's awesome! I always thought you were a prime candidate.

It will change your life, brother.
I'm always late to the technology party (for the most part), and as cheap as VCRs are (around $40-$70) the tapes are getting to be a hassle with only 8 hours of capacity on each tape, and you get into wanting to delete some shows while wanting to keep others for further review. The PVR solution is definitely cleaner in show management. I'm going to bump up my HD space in the Showstoppers, so that's going to help in the long run as well.

When these PVRs first came out they were just too expensive ($500-up), but now that they are a mature product, the choices for the older models makes them a good value ($200-$300). And now that I'll be freeing up 2 VCRs, I still think I'd like a 3rd PVR...
Old 01-31-03, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's my PVR story: won (yup, won!) a TiVo a few years back from submitting a song about TiVo during a tivo.com contest. It was a 14 hour model. This obviously wasn't enough. I upgraded to 110 hours (30 hours at best quality). But, even though it was enough storage, I still couldn't cover the overlaps on the networks. So I got a Showstopper. Then Dish Network came out with their PVR at a good price.

For a while there, I was using all three. But, I have since switched to DirecTiVo (two tuners). The new unit now replaces all three of the previous ones as there's rarely three shows on the networks at the same time. The good thing about cable is they play series so much during the week, TiVo catches what I missed the first go-round.

Sure is nice having a Tivo with both network and cable channels available on the same unit.

(After years of singing the praises of PVRs to a buddy of mine, he bought my old Showstopper and won't go back!)