Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Buffy 1-21-03 "Potential"

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-03, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 811 Likes on 600 Posts
Buffy 1-21-03 "Potential"

No one has started a thread so I guess I'll start it. Dish Network has tonight's episode listed as
Spoiler:
Buffy and Spike train potential slayers for the inevitable return of the First.
Looking forward to it in two hours. Is it just me or are all of the potential slayers whiney babies? This season is turning out pretty good. May be the third best season next to season three and season two. Enjoy the show. I am going to walk the treadmill and burn some calories while I watch a dvd. Talk to you after the show.

Last edited by lwhy?; 01-21-03 at 05:02 PM.
Old 01-21-03, 06:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I liked it a lot. I can understand if some don't, saying nothing really happens, but the exchange between Dawn and Xander at the end embodies what I'm loving about this season, character development years in the making.
Old 01-21-03, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well so far I've found a huge blatant consistency error. If Buffy dies the next slayer will not be activated. She's not the official slayer. Faith is. Otherwise we would have had a new one at the start of season six. Man I wish they would pay attention to this stuff.
Old 01-21-03, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Somebody help me answer this question: Since that uber-vamp got dusted, the First doesn't have anyone to physically harm Buffy & Gang (for now), right? Just wondering.
Old 01-21-03, 07:14 PM

Spoiler:
I'm going to puke if the potential is Dawn!!!
Old 01-21-03, 07:15 PM

Spoiler:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

/me goes to hurl

Don't give her a spinoff, don't give her a spinoff, don't give her a spinoff, don't give her a spinoff...
Old 01-21-03, 07:16 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by elektra
Well so far I've found a huge blatant consistency error. If Buffy dies the next slayer will not be activated. She's not the official slayer. Faith is. Otherwise we would have had a new one at the start of season six. Man I wish they would pay attention to this stuff.
Hehe.. I'm glad I'm not the only one that caught that. I did a double take and had to rewind it to make sure I heard it right.

That was a pretty blatent error on the writers part.
Old 01-21-03, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Colonel Mustard
Spoiler:
I'm going to puke if the potential is Dawn!!!
Cleanup on aisle 4! Sorry...couldn't resist. :-)

Sam
Old 01-21-03, 07:18 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Spoiler:
Its not like we didn't see it coming though...

Old 01-21-03, 07:19 PM

Originally posted by Vryce
Hehe.. I'm glad I'm not the only one that caught that. I did a double take and had to rewind it to make sure I heard it right.

That was a pretty blatent error on the writers part.
I don't see how this is a problem. Faith was created with slayer died that was created when Buffy died at the end of season one, not when Buffy died. Who says that if Buffy, who still has her slayer powers, dies that another slayer can't happen?
Old 01-21-03, 07:23 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I don't see how this is a problem. Faith was created with slayer died that was created when Buffy died at the end of season one, not when Buffy died. Who says that if Buffy, who still has her slayer powers, dies that another slayer can't happen?
But if Buffy's death activates another slayer, we'd have another one already.. Buffy died at the end of season 5, as elektra pointed.

Therefore, since one didn't show up, Faith is the official slayer still and when she dies, the next will become active.

Last edited by Canis Firebrand; 01-21-03 at 07:26 PM.
Old 01-21-03, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Because when they set up the rules, they said that if one slayer dies another takes her place. Buffy has not been the "official" slayer since the end of season one. First it was Kendra who took her place and then Faith showed up when Kendra died. If another slayer were to be activated when Buffy dies, then there should have been a new slayer at the beginning of Season six when Buffy died at the end of Season five. There wasn't. That's because the official slayer right now is Faith. As long as she's alive, in theory, you should not get a new slayer until she dies.

I thought this had been asked and answered on the official sites. They're dropping the consistency ball big time.
Old 01-21-03, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

..and wasn't there another slayer before Faith when Buffy died the first time? Kendra?

Sam

nevermind! :-) Read Elektra above

Sam
Old 01-21-03, 07:33 PM

But Buffy was really in another dimension at the end of 5, right? Not exactly the same as dead, if they want to turn it that way.
Old 01-21-03, 07:35 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

But Buffy was really in another dimension at the end of 5, right? Not exactly the same as dead, if they want to turn it that way.
True.. though I think she did state she was dead at the beginning of this season.

But no matter how many more times she dies, no new slayer will activate.

Faith is the one that has to die for a new slayer to be activated.
Old 01-21-03, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If you remember it's because she was dead that Spike could hit her. Tara determined that she had a minor change in her DNA. She was dead. Her soul might have inhabited another dimension, she indicated heaven, but she was dead. Amy asked her how she'd been and she repied, "Dead."
Old 01-21-03, 07:44 PM

Originally posted by Vryce
True.. though I think she did state she was dead at the beginning of this season.

But no matter how many more times she dies, no new slayer will activate.

Faith is the one that has to die for a new slayer to be activated.
Who says? Joss is the one who makes the rules. If Buffy still has the Slayer powers after coming back 2x, she's obviously something.

My question is why they don't just stop Faith's and Buffy's hearts a few times on an operating table, to kick off a few of the potentials to have an army of Slayers. If you keep going with the questioning, any fantasy based story will fall apart.

I will keep pointing out this is all a dream, so it doesn't matter anyway
Old 01-21-03, 07:48 PM

Spoiler:
Yea!, I was fooled
Old 01-21-03, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think that has been brought up and possibly answered by Joss. I don't know that it works that way, but it makes some sense.
Old 01-21-03, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So, it's not Dawn? Yes!!!!! I would have found that pretty annoying.
Old 01-21-03, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

RandyM was right. That was a really nice scene between Dawn and Xander. Nice episode, except for the blatent inconsistencies.
Old 01-21-03, 08:31 PM

Okay, switching gears here...

I'm calling MASSIVE shennanigans on the "Where's Waldo" missing potential this week. Somewhere along the way, between this week and last, Chloe [played by Lizzie McGuire star Lalaine] has vanished into smoke, and she was fairly pronounced last week. I'm going to benefit of the doubt that she's "with Giles in Japan", even though IMDB credits her for tonight's ep and the next two, because they surely know we're not THAT stupid.

All in all, a fairly mediocre episode pulled into a pretty great episode by that last scene. I am quite anxious for things to come and overjoyed that we were tricked about Dawn. That was looking just dreadful. I guess Joss and Co got the laugh on that one. Almost as though they read these fan forums or something... hrrrrmmmmmmm
Old 01-21-03, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

jkingfish - I wish they did. Somehow, I wonder if their egos could handle the criticism. I'm sure they'll have no problem with the praise.
Old 01-21-03, 08:49 PM

Hi,
another good, if not great episode. Herc over at AICN called it right. Its feels like they are padding a little bit before the big stuff for sweeps month kicks in. That said, every problem I had with this episode was nullified by Xander's speech to Dawn. It was pitch perfect and lets hope Xander gets some more screen time before the show comes to a close.
Best
Old 01-21-03, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I liked the episode...seemed less stressful to watch than some of the others...

and RE to the other discussion going on here... you guys are right...isnt Faith the "official slayer"??? What gives here? I mean Buffy bought it at the end of Season 5, (no new slayer)...have they completely forgotten Faith or what? Because it looks like if Faith gets whacked....THEN a new Slayer will be called.

doesnt the line go like Buffy---->Kendra----->Faith----->???

We should call Joss Whedon and remind him of this.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.