Joe Millionaire 1/20

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Joe Millionaire 1/20

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-03, 07:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This was an article from the Globe and Mail that explains the $19,000 among other things:

Better value in person
'Joe Millionaire' displays more charm
in real life than on reality TV
JOHN DOYLE

Monday, January 20, 2003

HOLLYWOOD, CALIF. -- Joe Millionaire denies everything, including the widespread belief that he's as dumb as a doorpost.

Evan Marriott, the 28-year-old construction worker who has intrigued millions of Americans and Canadians over the past few weeks as the star of Joe Millionaire -- a reality show in which he chooses a partner from 25 women who believe wrongly that he's a multimillionaire -- met TV critics here on Saturday and showed considerably more wit and charm than he has on the show.

Joe Millionaire is the latest reality-TV sensation and a huge hit for Fox. The first episode on Jan. 6 drew almost 19 million viewers, making it the most-watched debut for a reality series ever. Right now it is the third most-watched program on American TV, behind only Friends and ER in the all-important, affluent demographic of 18 to 49-year-olds.

Maybe Joe/Evan is not rich, but he is a bit weird. He's either one humdinger of a hoser or he's adapted quickly to show biz. Already he refers to himself in the third person, gives the appearance of being candid when he's talking nonsense, and often trails off into mind-numbingly detailed accounts of his life operating a backhoe and being a regular guy.

"I'm not going to sit here and tell you I'm a dumb-ass," Marriott said, who also worked briefly as a male model. "I'll tell you for the record right now, something that not a lot of people have known up until now, but I never graduated from high school. I'm not proud of that, but I'm not stupid."

Marriott also denied that his parents are in fact rich or related to the founding family of the Marriott hotel chain. Rumours have been swirling for days that the fake Joe Millionaire is in fact a real millionaire -- "a trust-fund baby" -- who simply decided to work blue collar jobs before accepting an inheritance. The Marriott name (he's called Evan Wallace on the show), the fact that he attended a fee-paying private school, and that his parents live in a large house in an upper-middle-class community, have led to intense speculation that he's actually rich.

This in turn has led to speculation that the real twist in Joe Millionaire is that he will reveal to the woman he chooses that he's wealthy but prefers not to take advantage of it. Marriott says none of this is true. He lived a lie, conned the women on the show about his financial status and he's heard all sorts of rumours about himself, but what hurts him is any suggestion that he's not an average, working Joe who earns $19,000 (U.S.) a year in construction.

"You can call me gay until you're blue in the face. You can say I hate women, which I know has been said about me, but that's okay. But don't tell me that I'm lying about my income. There was a little thing called 'Sept. 11' and Evan didn't work for half a year. So if there's any question as to whether Evan was in construction, all you have to do is drive over to the Pasadena Union Hall and check on it. In Virginia I was earning $7 or $8 an hour. In California, because it's unionized, I made $29.54 an hour. I've had good years and bad years in construction but I've never lied about my income."

Marriott's father worked in a bank in Virginia until he retired recently. His mother "painted sweats" (nobody knew exactly what Evan was talking about) in order to earn extra money. Those are the facts, Marriott insists. He also claimed that the basis for his parent's middle-class comfort was a car they won in a raffle in 1970.

"They sold the car and used the money for a down payment on a house. They thought it was more important to have a home for their kids than have a fancy car. Then they eventually sold their house and were able to buy a bigger one. That's all. My godfather is a developer and he helped my father out. I had Ralph Lauren shirts when I was growing up, but my mom bought them at T.J. Maxx [a discount chain] because that what she could afford."

Throughout the press conference, Marriott was confident, cheerful and at ease. He looked a lot more relaxed than he has on the show. On television he has often seemed awkward and embarrassed by the charade. Clearly he enjoys the attention of the women (there are now five remaining contenders for his affections) but he sometimes seems mortified by the endless pretense.

Here he seemed simply guileless, with his long-winded answers to questions and his ability to spout clichés about the pleasures of his sudden fame.

"I'll tell you what I get a kick out of, and it's really sappy and you'll get your puke buckets out, but the other day, I was at this diner place and this kid came up to me with a little truck. And his parents wanted me to have a picture with him. And I thought it was really cool because as a kid I loved trucks. And I met a couple from out of town, from Denver, and they were just freakin' that they met somebody they saw on TV."

He also says that he's been able to get through the stress of handling his sudden fame -- and previous hard times -- because of his friends. "I have not done well financially, but I'm rich in friends," he said.

He was furious at any suggestion he was manipulated in the choice of women who have made it through the first few rounds on Joe Millionaire. Some tabloids have suggested that the butler who coached him in etiquette, food and wine, has influenced his choice, or that the show's producers have dictated the outcome.

"The girls were chosen fairly, and only by me. I didn't have a good time rejecting the ones who didn't make it past the first round.

He says that he only agreed to take part in the show when he was reassured it would not be cruel to the women. He hates shows such as Blind Date and Elimidate, and in particular was outraged by an episode of Elimidate in which a man chose between two women by flipping a coin.

At a lavish Fox party Saturday night, Marriott was even more forthcoming. In a scrum with reporters he announced that he prefers his women to be redheads. "If there's a redhead in the crowd, I'll head over there."

Asked about reality TV, he said he didn't watch much of it and prefers watching Frasier and Seinfeld. In general he disapproves of the amount of media attention his show and competing show The Bachelorette have received. "I think we should turn our attention to Iraq," he said before he was hustled off, back to being a regular, but very famous, Joe.
Old 01-23-03, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
So why did he boot Allison, the only redhead in the final 5? What a knucklehead...
Old 01-23-03, 11:21 AM
Cool New Member

great show ! my whole family is watching
Old 01-23-03, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally said by Joe Millionaire reported by John Doyle and posted by Hannibal
There was a little thing called 'Sept. 11' and Evan didn't work for half a year.
Yeah Joe. It was a very little thing...

Also...on today's Good Day Live reported that the Globe snapped pics of Joe & his choice which was...
Spoiler:
Zora

Take it for what it's worth.
Old 01-23-03, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Rogue588
Also...on today's Good Day Live reported that the Globe snapped pics of Joe & his choice which was...
Spoiler:
Zora

Take it for what it's worth.
Yeah, in Paris on their date right....
Old 01-23-03, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
...well, if she was wearing a wedding dress...then, yeah.
Old 01-23-03, 07:04 PM

Did he seriously nail some guy with the wine cork?

He popped it, the cork goes flying off the balcony and he says "whoops" as someone started yelling up at him in french, lol.
Old 01-23-03, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 601 Likes on 434 Posts
Originally posted by Patman
So why did he boot Allison, the only redhead in the final 5? What a knucklehead...
i just caught the beginning of the replay of the latest show and i think i heard mojo claim that she is a redhead?

a redhead with a good tan i think she may also have said.

if she thinks she is a redhead, she should look at alison to see what a real red looks like.
Old 01-23-03, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...well, if she was wearing a wedding dress...then, yeah.
Yikes!!
Old 01-23-03, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah Joe. It was a very little thing...

Hmmm, maybe he was using sarcasm?
Old 01-24-03, 02:35 PM

Yeah , i saw that picture in the Globe. I think this show is rigged. Oh well, i'll still watch. I hope the picture is fake.

Last edited by Catch 21; 01-24-03 at 02:38 PM.
Old 01-26-03, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 812 Likes on 601 Posts
I just got around to watching my tape of the episode. My comments Melissa Jo Skanky Skanky Skanky. Allison hottie hottie hot hot. Her and Evan started to hit it off late in the date. Those two girls smoking was a real turnoff for me too. I hate to see people killing themselves like that. This Evan guy is really dumb and cannot pick a woman. To think that he start the season out by picking two hos like Heidi and MoJo shows greater proof that either he just wanted them for a night or that his IQ is under 100.