Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Er 01/16/03

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-03, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Er 01/16/03

I don't know what to make of last night's episode of ER.

But as a character revealing piece, it highlighted many of the character's levels of comfort when it came to ethics and morality.

Weaver didn't seem to have any problem not following the rules for politicos.

Susan is as straight an arrow can be.

Romano can kiss ass with the best of them.

Luka probably is haunted by his compassion, which seems to be at odds with the level of care tolerated in the ER.

Carter seems comfortable making micro-level contributions to impact the world (his career as an ER doc, his visit to Ed Asner's character's clinic), while having the means (as Abby pointed out) to make macro-level improvements to the quality of life in his community with his ties to wealth.

Pratt's "brother" Leon is going to cause him more and more heartache with his lack of street smarts, and day he'll have to make some more painful decisions about how to take care of Leon.
Old 01-17-03, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Weaver is a freakin' hose-beast - she gets all over Luka's ass when he thinks he is doing the right thing (showing compassion to the husband as long as possible, looking out for the bruised-up kid, etc.) and possibly bending a few rules in the process, and then her hyocritical butt falsifies medical records for a politician. Now I am pissed at myself for feeling sorry for her last week. If anyone else did that she would have fired them - she is the great dictator...I wish Lewis would have chewed her ass out.

I wish Carter would sack up outside of the hospital, especially in regards to his family/wealth. Abbie made some good points - it is so nice for her to have screen time w/out her mother and brother impeding the story. Looks like Carter is going to possibly work at or take over the clinic soon.

Pratt seems to be progressing as a character for the better, too bad Leon is either going to end up dead or in jail because of his stupid 'friends'. What an awful situation - it's going to make for an uncomfortable separation of the two, its inevitable - they have been building up the story for weeks, so we know something is bound to happen before the summer.
Old 01-17-03, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dang, that ending killed me. It really reminds me of that Jackie Chan movie where Sammo Hung plays Jackie's slow brother. I really like this storyline although I agree that it looks like it will definitely turn ugly at some point. I did like how he convinced the kid with 50 piercings to come back back to help his brother and sister. Although, his speech did remind me of the one Luka gave a while ago when they split up the two brothers.

I think that Weaver's little bending of the rules will definitely come back to bite her in the ass. She deserves it.
Old 01-17-03, 02:45 PM
AJP
Suspended - needs to provide a working email

Re: Er 01/16/03

Originally posted by Patman
Carter seems comfortable making micro-level contributions to impact the world (his career as an ER doc, his visit to Ed Asner's character's clinic), while having the means (as Abby pointed out) to make macro-level improvements to the quality of life in his community with his ties to wealth.
Carter seems seriously disillusioned about the the way of the world and unsure that it can be changed. IMO he's the prototypical Gen-X'er approaching middle age. He's reaching a point in his life and even his career where his influence is growing and it should force him to reconsider everything.
Old 01-17-03, 02:56 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
I thought it was good.

I'm glad they decided to take Pratt of the track of becoming Benton Jr. I like his character alot more then when they fisrt introduced him. What a sad ending.

I wonder what they are going to do with Elizabeth. She shows up last night for the first time in a while that I can remember for about 30 secs to chew Luca out.

I don't know what the writers are trying to do with Weaver. They give her this big sad story last week where you feel sorry for her, then they have her do what she did last night.
Old 01-17-03, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The writers don't seem to know what to do with any of the characters any more.

Is Weaver a tough admin with a heart of gold? Or a bitter lying shrew?
Is Luca a caring, logical doctor? Or an out-of-control alcoholic?

Don't even get me started on Elizabeth. With Mark gone, they have absolutely no clue what to do with her...

I enjoy ER, and have been with it from the very beginning. But I think it's getting to be that time... unfortunately, just like with Friends, NBC is going to have a hard time giving it up. They have nothing to replace it.
Old 01-17-03, 04:15 PM

anyone else mad that leslie bibb still hasn't returned? is she that injured, c'mon bring back the hot student.
Old 01-17-03, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The show needs more Romano!

And maybe some cowbell.

Honk!
Old 01-17-03, 06:21 PM
AJP
Suspended - needs to provide a working email

Originally posted by bboisvert
The writers don't seem to know what to do with any of the characters any more.

Is Weaver a tough admin with a heart of gold? Or a bitter lying shrew?
Is Luca a caring, logical doctor? Or an out-of-control alcoholic?

Don't even get me started on Elizabeth. With Mark gone, they have absolutely no clue what to do with her...
This has been ER's problem for years now...they write some characters into holes that leave them with little to do on the show. Then they shake up the cast and do it again. Why bring back Dr. Chen and Dr. Lewis and then give them so little to do? IMO they somehow need to develop a stronger, consistent presence of continuing plotlines that involve more of the cast regularly.
Old 01-17-03, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That's a problem that's pretty much endemic to series television. If you have too many staff writers doing thier own thing, the characters get pulled in many different directons, sometimes contradictory ones. On the other hand, if strong personalities take over, a sense of staleness and repetition can set in after a while (David Milch and his weird obsessions and occasionally appalling ideas when he was the main guy on NYPD Blue.)
Old 01-18-03, 07:23 AM
Banned

I'll keep watching as long as I can look at Sherry Stringfield's gorgeous, square face.
Old 01-18-03, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by WiccanPagan
anyone else mad that leslie bibb still hasn't returned?
I'm with you there. I love that woman and miss Popular