Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The West Wing 1-15-03

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-03, 12:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The West Wing 1-15-03

I don't know about the rest of you, but I thought this episode was superb. Just awesome. I didn't mind that there was absolutely nothing to do with politics, I didn't care that there was practically no screen time for any of the other cast members, other than some brief scenes with Josh and Toby. And the way it ended... just perfect. It was basically the CJ Craig show, and it was wonderful. This episode was just powerfully good.

What did everyone else think?
Old 01-16-03, 12:48 AM

You know I was really bummed they moved Angel to Wed but it didn't bother me because tonight's west wing didn't intrigue me at all. I watch west wing for the story and characters, not just the story of 1 character. Besides I find the pres, toby, josh and Donna much more interesting then CJ. Remind me when the real show is on. IMHO
Old 01-16-03, 07:41 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
I thought this was going to suck, but it was very well done. Extremely well written and acted. What a sh*tty situation for anyone to find themselves in. [<---- poor sentence construction]
Old 01-16-03, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The West Wing 1-15-03

• Quoth SiberianLlama •<HR SIZE=1>This episode was just powerfully good.<HR SIZE=1>

Wow ... this was a very difficult episode to watch. I was expecting the typical overblown "goodbye" episode, like something you'd see on er. There'd be a lot of crying and some token "moments" and some other typical devices used for an episode like this. But they avoided all the cliches and presented one hell of an episode, and I can't get over how well Janney played it. The Matthew Modine character was a little excessive, but I can understand why he was there.

No gratuitous tugs at the heartstrings ... no sweeping orchestral score ... just life unfolding before our eyes. And the final scene with C.J.'s ultimate realization was brilliantly executed.

das
Old 01-16-03, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 171 Posts
The girl who sits next to me at work was an extra in last night's episode... she was used in the reunion scenes.
Old 01-16-03, 12:40 PM

I enjoyed the episode very much last night...But I hope that this doesnt turn into an "ER" special episode syndrome in which each character is given a special episode by themselves to shine.
Old 01-16-03, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I fell asleep before the show came on...doh!

Anyway, would someone be kind enough to give me a summary of what happened in the episode....doesn't have to be mega-detailed or anything
Old 01-16-03, 02:57 PM

(minority opinion) i didn't like the episode. it wasn't terrible, but cj is arguably my lease favorite character on the show (it switches between her and leo). my favorite part of the show is the interaction between donna and josh, and that wasn't even part of the epsidoe.
Old 01-16-03, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Bandoman
I thought this was going to suck, but it was very well done. Extremely well written and acted. What a sh*tty situation for anyone to find themselves in. [<---- poor sentence construction]

B-

Please see me after class.
Old 01-16-03, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I wasn't particularyly looking forward to the episode....I'm just not a fan of the "extra special" episodes....and what I love about the show is the ensemble aspect.

But the episode was brilliant and really hard to watch....it didn't follow the traditional extra special formula of trumped up emotions to manipulate us into emotion. Bravo to Allison Janney who was able to carry the episode by herself...no Josh and Toby quips, just plain acting chops!
Old 01-17-03, 12:33 PM
BT
DVD Talk Special Edition

Very nicely done. I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I was going to. And yes, Matthew Modine was unnecessary but still cool to see him working again if only briefly.

-BT
Old 01-17-03, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Same for me, guys. I groaned last week when the previews came on. I hate that kind of soapy, one-off episode...

But my enthusiasm jumped when I saw it was written by playwright Jon Robin Baitz... And I wasn't disappointed... The hour was exceptionally fresh, and smart and honest... Powerfully good indeed.

Allison Janey was terrific as usual, as were the guest performers... I hope we don't lose her to the movies completely before The West Wing is finished...
Old 01-25-03, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ok, how much of a Sports Night freak am I:

As I was watching my taped ep of this, I saw in the opening credits:

Editor: Janet Ashikage/a and I was like, "that's one of the people Dan and Casey acknowledge at the end of 'The Six Southern Gentelmen of TN Tech episode'" I checked my SN DVD just to be sure and true enough, apparently, Janet was also an editor on the CSC version of Sports Night. Ain't that cool?

Last edited by Kal-El; 01-25-03 at 01:29 AM.