Old 01-14-03, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 171 Posts
Sopranos: no new episodes till Jan. 2004

http://www.suntimes.com/output/rosen...r-phil14b.html

'Sopranos' could gain a reprieve
January 14, 2003
BY PHIL ROSENTHAL TELEVISION CRITIC Advertisement

HOLLYWOOD--One of the driving forces behind HBO's "The Sopranos" is holding out hope that the show's coming fifth season will not be its last, but cautions that it's unlikely the series will return for at least another 12 months.

Executive producer Brad Grey, the dealmaker who helped persuade auteur David Chase to extend the crime and family series this far, refuses to snuff the idea of continuing the show.

Chase and his loyal cast have long insisted that the next 13 episodes will be their last despite HBO's eagerness to keep going, especially with the end of its other leading series, "Sex and the City," announced for early 2004.

"I'm very open-ended. You know?" Grey said Monday. "I'm not calling the game yet. David, I think, made it clear that he would prefer to finish unless he has some creative idea that's exciting enough to continue, (but) I think it's early. ... I think we have a little time to figure that out, and we'll see. I'm the lone wolf (on the production side) who's not saying, 'It's over.' "

Possibly complicating production of the series' next season is that star James Gandolfini is close to signing to do a movie with Ben Affleck for DreamWorks in the next few weeks.

Though "Sopranos" filming was not supposed to begin till March, the return of the HBO show, expected for fall, is likely to be delayed at least until January 2004. "It may push us a little bit, but we were planning on January," Grey said.

As for a possible "Sopranos" feature film, Grey said that won't be decided until after the series' end has been determined.

"If next season is the last season, then we'll talk about the picture," Grey said. "And if it's not, then we'll probably defer those conversations."
Old 01-14-03, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I sure hope the next season is actually worth that long of a wait. It's rather debatable whether the last season was......
Old 01-14-03, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ouch! But oh well...Im sure it will be great when it does come out.

I know people gripe about Season 4, and the first part was a bit dull...but it's still one of the best things on TV
Old 01-14-03, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

There's a reason season 4 was "dull"

David Chase, at the time he was planning/writing, thought season 4 would be the last -- so season 3 ended with a lot of balls up in the air (ie: lost russian, Adrianna wired) to be resolved in the upcoming final season.

BUT.... a fifth year was added.

So, all of the plans to end certain storylines at the end of the series were put on hold. Chase had to basically tread water this past year.
Old 01-14-03, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh brother.

I wish people would get off this "lost russian" storyline as if it were some major plot point around which the entire series revolved.

So what? Some low-level russian "droogie" escaped into the New York "tundra." Why must this one unanswered question be the one that always comes up on the lips of recently disgruntled "Sopranos" viewers?

It wasn't an important story. The russian served his purpose in "The Pine Barrens" episode and that was that.

No need to drag this unanswered thing out any further.

I mean it's not like the last scene of the last episode had Tony banging his head against the bathroom mirror chanting "How's Annie? How's Annie?" in an otherwordly, some would say "Bob-possessed" voice.

(And I'm not writing this just to pick on you Guess Who - your post just happened to bring up one of my Soprano's pet peeves . . .)
Old 01-14-03, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

While that specific Russian is unimportant, his boss Slava is.

Remember, Tony was using Slava to invest Tony's money in overseas accounts. A large portion of Tony's money is basically under Slava's control.

If Slava were to learn about one of his soldiers being taken out to be murdered, it would greatly danger the alliance with the Russian mob, and personally, Tony's life savings.

There's a bigger picture than just the interior decorator who killed Czecholslovakians.
Old 01-14-03, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, but I still think that's a little picayune and "fannish" to obsess over this particular minor detail in the larger picture of the series.

The fact that Tony was using any particular Russian to invest funds overseas really never occupied center stage in the show. As a diversionary subplot from the main "family" stories and as a vehicle to anchor the Svetlana character, sure, I'll buy it.

But I seriously doubt whether any of this subplot will make its way into Season 5, except in some tangential, background type way.
Old 01-14-03, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Exactly how IS Annie anyways?

No one's hear from her since...

As far as the russian's concerned...wasn't he mentioned this season?
Old 01-14-03, 03:06 PM

Originally posted by GuessWho
There's a reason season 4 was "dull"

David Chase, at the time he was planning/writing, thought season 4 would be the last -- so season 3 ended with a lot of balls up in the air (ie: lost russian, Adrianna wired) to be resolved in the upcoming final season.

BUT.... a fifth year was added.

So, all of the plans to end certain storylines at the end of the series were put on hold. Chase had to basically tread water this past year.
...which is why I like to refer to season 4 as "Season 3 1/2!"

I hope season 5 (or "Season 4" if you go by my numbering scheme) is back on track with the first 3 seasons. I haven't ever been so disappointed with a season....
Old 01-14-03, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
I loved Season 4!! Don't believe me? Meet me out back with a llama and a plunger, and we'll see who the real man is!
Old 01-14-03, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Well if they're considering a feature film after the series wraps up - you can forget about a whacked Tony Soprano at the end of season 5.
Old 01-14-03, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
In the meantime, HBO will begin airing "The Sopranos" on Sunday nights starting in February from the first episode onward. Good chance to catch up on anything you missed in previous seasons.

Honk!
Old 01-14-03, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So their going to make a film, definitely?
Old 01-15-03, 09:35 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I can wait 'till Jan '04 for season 5. It's worth waiting for.

FWIW, I loved season 4 and did not think it was a bore.
Old 01-15-03, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Geofferson
I can wait 'till Jan '04 for season 5. It's worth waiting for.

FWIW, I loved season 4 and did not think it was a bore.
Do you always speak in rhyme? Or was it an accident this time?
Old 01-15-03, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Don't rip on Geofferson's post. It's the style he likes the most.
Old 01-15-03, 12:44 PM
Banned

Well, I wont loose any sleep over this news. With the last TWO seasons SUCKING, I will find more productive ways to spend Sunday nights.

Boy, this show sure went in the crapper. Could care less about future years of this once-great show.
Old 01-15-03, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Mr Snappy
Well, I wont loose any sleep over this news. With the last TWO seasons SUCKING, I will find more productive ways to spend Sunday nights.

Boy, this show sure went in the crapper. Could care less about future years of this once-great show.
Nice post.....

....for me to poop on!!! Siyonara fairweather fan......
Old 01-15-03, 01:18 PM

A worthy threadcrap none the less.
Old 01-15-03, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
So... how're your nuts?
Old 01-15-03, 06:11 PM

Originally posted by grunter
Oh brother.

Come on Grunter! You can always watch The Shield for the next season and a half to pass the time until until a new soprano's comes on. We all know The Shield is what the soprano's "should have been".