Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Buffy 01/07/03 "Showtime"

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Buffy 01/07/03 "Showtime"

Old 01-08-03, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Willow is the one that makes the telepathy work among Buffy/Willow/Xander. If Willow isn't there to receive Buffy's thoughts and pass them around, then Buffy can't communicate telepathically with anyone. Consider Willow to be like an ethernet router in this case. This is not a big deal in terms of "OMG Buffy is now telepathic" because she's not.

Last edited by Patman; 01-08-03 at 08:55 AM.
Old 01-08-03, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just when Dawn finally grows out of her whining phase, now we have a whole host of whiners.

Good episode ... not great, but pretty solid. I felt it was a bit too self-triumphant considering what they're up against. Andrew's comments are just too damn funny.

das
Old 01-08-03, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I find Andrew nerdily funny. I thought his little scene between Dawn was just an excuse to rift on perhaps the writer's affinity for Timothy Dalton as James Bond (and being in the wrong place at the wrong time).

The SITs are really a drag. Sure, I understand the need to show them as being despondent over their situation, but it's painful to watch, and even if they "mature" and come together in this fight against the First, it's just done rather poorly, like listening to teachers running their fingernails across a chalkboard. Blech!

Buffy's current stunt double almost moves like the hyper one from Season 4, and just as "thick" body-wise.

Anya's "I can't give it away" line was classic. The metaphors they get to use with Anya's past persona are still funny and to the point.

The eyeball demonny thing was too cheesy looking, not one of their better efforts in that department.
Old 01-08-03, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Patman - One of my friends pointed that out to me. All Buffy did was think - Willow? Then Willow replied. Good point.

Oh, BTW, for all of the Atlanta Buffy fans. I got an X-mas card from one of my closest friends who says that he's moving to Atlanta. Sooooo, I might visit that way sometime later this year.
Old 01-08-03, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth elektra •<HR SIZE=1>Oh, BTW, for all of the Atlanta Buffy fans. I got an X-mas card from one of my closest friends who says that he's moving to Atlanta. Sooooo, I might visit that way sometime later this year. <HR SIZE=1>

*cough* DragonCon *cough*

Marsters + Boxleitner + Patman + das + beer ... what more could one want?

das
Old 01-08-03, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

das - I was thinking the next DragonCon would be a good excuse to head down to Atlanta. Riker would be with me! I know that you two want to find mischief. Maybe we could convert him to Buffy. And I would have crash space already, soooooo......
Old 01-08-03, 09:59 AM
Banned

I do admit the SIT were a bit whiney and Dawn really didnt need to be there. In fact, I had forgotten about her until she came in the room a half an hour or so into the show.
I dont miss Jonathon and I dont miss the Nerds of Doom or Troika or whatever they are called. I think Andrews lines last night and in the last couple of episodes have been hillarious. I like him playing off the Scoobies a lot more.

The telepathic thing threw me too. I remember doing it in the Last episode of Season 5 when she needed the others to cover for her and Tara who had just done the Tara brain-suck switheroo but did they really ever acknowledge it in Word?

Someone else said it left them wanting more.
for the first time in over a year, I felt the same thing!

Doesnt Sarah have to decide soon if she is reuping or leaving?
They have to write those scripts dont they?
Old 01-08-03, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Boxleitner's coming to Dragon Con? (oops, sorry about the thread drift).

ObTopic: How much longer are they going to tease us with the incorporeal? form of Giles?
Old 01-08-03, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by palebluedot
Anyway, I liked the ending with Spike, nicely done.
Was this another of Spike’s dreams? I find it hard to believe that Buffy just waltzed in and freed him. Also, the wound on “her” cheek – could be an “injury” the First got as a result of the fight? This would lead me to think that the first dream we saw was caused by the First, not just something out of Spike’s delirium.

I like Patman’s ethernet comparison. But in order for it to work, it has to be turned on, doesn’t it? I’m having the same problem elektra seems to be having with Buffy initiating the conversation. Surely Willow doesn’t have the magic running 24/7, it should be more like an IM on dial-up, n’est ce pas?
Originally posted by Patman
ObTopic: How much longer are they going to tease us with the incorporeal? form of Giles?
Yeah. I wouldn’t think a proper English dude should feel comfortable standing about all the time with his hands in his pockets.
Old 01-08-03, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Has anyone come up with a theory on why Faith wasn't the very first person they went looking for? Seems like with the council gone and them scraping the bottom of the SIT barrel, having another full-fledge Slayer around would be a good thing.
Old 01-08-03, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"I'm bored. Episode I bored."

Andrew is now one of my favorite characters on the show - second only to Spike.

If only someone would off sour-puss and ever put-upon Xander . . .
Old 01-08-03, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Wizdar
Was this another of Spike’s dreams? I find it hard to believe that Buffy just waltzed in and freed him.
I think it was real. Remember it was the uber vamp that was keeping Spike there...with him out of the picture Buffy could just walk in and free him. I guess we will see next episode.
Old 01-08-03, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

We all have the ability to try and broadcast our thoughts, but only those who can actually receive them and create a socket for us to then communicate does telepath work in this situation, and again, Willow was receptive enough to have heard Buffy's mental call to her and then Willow engaged the 2-way telepathy portion of her talents/powers.

At the end, I interpreted that it was the real Buffy coming for Spike, which is the very thought that kept him from giving into the First's mind tricks, and perservering - Buffy believed in him, and he had to keep the "faith" that his Buffy would come for him, that's what got him through the various forms of torture inflicted upon him by the First. Plus he could touch Buffy in the end.

I don't think anyone knows that Faith is doing time in LA. Plus Buffy's got a better PR department, so they all flock towards her and the Hellmouth (Sunnydale).
Old 01-08-03, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm not sure if the end is a dream or not, but it seemed real. If it was a dream, the in the dream he would be leaning on Buffy. Whereas if it was real life and that was the first, couldn't lean on it and it wouldn't have had the scar. I'm going to go with it was real, for the reasons Patman stated. Without the uber vamp and the fact that the first is incorporeal, unless there were some Bringers about, she had clean sailing in and out.
Old 01-08-03, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It was real.
Old 01-08-03, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
What I love about Andrew is that he IS every Buffy fan, as most Buffy fans get his references.
Old 01-08-03, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Never considered for a moment that the final scene wasn't real. Also have no problem with the telepathic stuff ... Buffy broadcast her thoughts, like we all do, and shot Willow a "look" ... Willow, perceptive as she is, turned on her inner ear and set up the three-way (huh-huh).

das

P.S. Last time I spoke with Julie, she was planning on bringing both Bruce and James. These things change all the time, of course, but it's certainly "in the works."
Old 01-08-03, 11:52 AM

Originally posted by das Monkey
Never considered for a moment that the final scene wasn't real. Also have no problem with the telepathic stuff ... Buffy broadcast her thoughts, like we all do, and shot Willow a "look" ... Willow, perceptive as she is, turned on her inner ear and set up the three-way (huh-huh).
So if Buffy "broadcast her thoughts", are we to believe that nobody broadcast thoughts in the ep. where Willow was invisible? Wouldn't it seem logical that one of them, at some point, would have thought "Where is she", or something like that?

Or maybe the invisibility spell impacted that "link" too... OK, that could work.
Old 01-08-03, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth Chopper •<HR SIZE=1>Or maybe the invisibility spell impacted that "link" too... OK, that could work. <HR SIZE=1>

See ... now you're getting it. Remember, it was more than just an "invisibility" spell.

das
Old 01-08-03, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by Meatpants
Has anyone come up with a theory on why Faith wasn't the very first person they went looking for? Seems like with the council gone and them scraping the bottom of the SIT barrel, having another full-fledge Slayer around would be a good thing.
Again, a request for a cliff note sized recap of what happened with Faith on Angel.

Also -- everytime I see Andrew I think of Byron from Andy Richter Controls the Universe and vice versa. I thought they might be related, but no.
Old 01-08-03, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

PLEASE NOTE: I AM ABOUT TO POST INFO REGARDING FAITH ON ANGEL AND BUFFY. THIS COULD BE CONSTRUED AS SPOILER INFO. PROCEED WITH CAUTION. THANK YOU.

Basically Faith is in jail. At the end of Season Three, Buffy put Faith into a coma. In Season Four, Faith woke up from the coma. At the end of that ep, she had "switched bodies with Buffy." In the following ep, Buffy got back to her own body and Faith skipped town. She wound up in LA where Wolfram and Heart employed her to kill Angel. Instead of killing him, she cracked and realized she didn't like what she had become. She had committed crimes against regular people and turned herself into the police, who were activly looking for her. She's currently in jail. I'm going to guess the watcher's council knew where she was as they were in hot pursuit of her and decided to leave her there. The First Evil could easily know where she is, but in order to get to her, it may draw too much unwanted attention to itself and has decided not to go after her, just yet.

Hope this clears it up.
Old 01-08-03, 01:00 PM

Question: Can the First be in more than one place at a time? The First was in the form of Eve and at the same time Giles was with Anya. Any ideas?
Old 01-08-03, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think it's possible, but I don't think that Giles is the First.
Old 01-08-03, 01:06 PM

Originally posted by Patman
The eyeball demonny thing was too cheesy looking, not one of their better efforts in that department.
Me and the wife both figured they scoured the old Big Trouble In Little China props box for that one.

Das! Marsters! For real!? Keep me posted and check you email, btw.
Old 01-08-03, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth jkingfish •<HR SIZE=1>Das! Marsters! For real!? Keep me posted and check you email, btw. <HR SIZE=1>

Got the e-mail this morning. You said to give it some thought before responding so I'm doing just that.

das

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.