The Wire on HBO --- Discussion Thread

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Wire on HBO --- Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-03, 10:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually, I thought Stringer was the one who said Avon had been too fair with D? Anyway, my thought is that the guy who took D out did it on his own, maybe was a friend of one of the guys who died but maybe not, but it sounded like as he left that room and walked off with that other guy that he said something about making a name for himself...

and potentially spoilerish regarding D's status:

Spoiler:
The previews to me looked like Stringer and that other drug guy (the one who Zig's cousin went to see, who is Avon's competitor from the other projects) were dressed up as if for a funeral, and just the brief glimpse of background looked kind of cemetary-ish - yeah, I know, I'm making a big leap on that one!

Tig
Old 07-09-03, 01:47 PM

It was Stringer who said Avon had been "more than fair"
Old 07-10-03, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It woudn't surprise me if Stringer did it on his own, but Avon's attitude in the meeting with Stringer led me to believe he also wanted to whack D.

McNulty's ex is sexy as hell!

Zig is an idiot. I wanted to beat him to death myself when he lit up that $100 bill.

Nick is stupid for taking the drugs in lieu of cash. The Greeks now have him in their back pocket. Can't wait to see how it all winds up.
Old 07-11-03, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great episode!

Omar:
Old 07-11-03, 09:41 PM

I completely agree with you all: this was a great episode- one of the best of the series, imho. I'm starting to like this season more than the first, although it was a bit slow on the startup.

Does anyone else think that Stringer may back-door Avon? My buddy and I were talking about it, and it seems almost like Avon doesn't have String's confidence... what do you all think?

And I do think that Avon ordered the hit on D. The "more than fair" conversation with Avon and Stringer made me wonder if they were planning the hit.

Omar rules!
Old 07-14-03, 06:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 392 Likes on 280 Posts
the wire 7/13

Thoughts on last nights episode? As usual I taped it and will watch it tonight.

I generally watch the bit before the credits. I was a bit bummed D was actually gone, unless somone else on the crew got 20 and ran the towers it wasn't some misdirect ala SFU.

Looking forward to watching it tonight, 5am comes too quickly to stay up and watch although I suspect I'll suffer once the last few episodes get rolling as the show is picking up steam.
Old 07-14-03, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well you guys were right and I was wrong, I can admit that . I honestly thought Avon was in on it, but oh well. I'm sure now that Daniels is taking on the 14 murders for Rawls and told Rawls he gets what he wants, this will get McNulty on the crew.

I think that was the first episode I've seen without McNulty (Save the last 5 minutes), and to be honest, I didn't even realize he wasn't on until they showed him at the end. To me, that shows just how strong a show is when one of the main characters can go missing and you're so enthralled with everything else that you don't even realize it.
Old 07-14-03, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I thought the picture of Bob Irsay on the dart board was rather funny. Many people in Baltimore still feel that way about Irsay.
Old 07-14-03, 10:45 AM

"the modern urban crime environment" What a line.

Another great episode. We're beginning to see the two plot lines merge. They're also exploring Frank's attempts to preserve a way of life that's fading fast. This is one of the main goals for this season (see the interview with David Simon here for some great background). The interview put the season into a new light. Like how the arguments between Lt. Daniels and his wife is about more than the standard martial issues that all cop shows try and portray.

Next looks to be awsome as they start to bust the stolen trucks.
Old 07-15-03, 03:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I love the Wire. Seeing D die didnt piss me off as much as when Wallace got popped. I still hope that bastard gets his. And yea I didnt notice there was no Mcnutty till the end either.

So when is HBO putting out season 1 I'm impatient.
Old 07-15-03, 04:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Did anyone notice the Pi tattoo on the back Nick's neck ? Probably doesn't mean anything but I never noticed it before.
Old 07-15-03, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Nick also has a tat on his hand. I noticed both tatoos for the first time this episode as well.

Another quality episode. It's great to see the story lines pull together, nice writing from HBO, much better pacing this year.

I was suprised they never showed D in a box, wonder what happend there that they killed him off so abruptly contract dispute or somthing or just plot?

I noticed in the comming attractions that the show is not on next week, looks like Project Green light is getting a push from HBO and aring another double episode.

Oh I loved Ziggy and the Baby love gag, I didn't notice they were playing the song until they played it a second. Thats a great burn.

I was on the HBO site and there is a slide show of the cast at the premiere, I didn't realize that Omars scar was real, got to say the women all looked good too, a few of them much better than in character (port cop Beatrice and the lawyer Rhonda in particular.)
http://www.hbo.com/thewire/news/index.html click on photos
Old 07-17-03, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Lol @ the SFU and OZ references. I guess if D was in either of those we would have known for sure that he died.

I guess Mcnutty was serious when he said he was on retirement. There is still the Real estate link to nick, but I doubt that it will lead anywhere.

Is there an Episode this Sunday? I set it to record, but the timeslot wasn't there.
Old 07-17-03, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by RoQuEr
Is there an Episode this Sunday? I set it to record, but the timeslot wasn't there.
I don't think that there is a new wire episode this sunday 7/20. They are doing a double episode of Project Greenlight I think.
Old 07-17-03, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
Catch "Duck and Cover" premiering Sunday July 27 at 9:30pm ET. Episode replays Mondays on HBO2 at 11pm ET and on HBO on Demand.

Looks like your right. I hate waiting a whole two weeks. Best show on TV.
Old 07-17-03, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Is it me or is Ziggy the only one that absolutely nails the B'more accent. Him and the police captain.

And the others call themselves actors.
Old 07-18-03, 06:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Manco
Did anyone notice the Pi tattoo on the back Nick's neck ? Probably doesn't mean anything but I never noticed it before.
Here I thought I was the only one who missed that the whole season.

Must be all that flannel he's been wearing. It covers up his neckline.
Old 07-28-03, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Wire 7/27

God I missed this show with the week off. What did you all think of last nights episdoe? I'm looking forward to watching it tonight, between the recap and Mcnultys driving skill challenge I can't wait to see it.

I was laughing when he backed up and missed the corner again. The waitress/diner scene was a tad unbelieveable as he is not the worlds best looking man, I half expect she's 17 based on what her bedroom looked like.
Old 07-28-03, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Jimmy McNulty: What a PLAYA!!!

I think most women would find Dominic West/Jimmy McNulty quite handsome.

Ziggy getting that kind of action...that would be a stretch.

"You're putting yourself next to Jim Brown?!?" I love Freeman's subtle humor. (Remember Omar talking to Bunk last year about his lacrosse days? Nice way to bring that back up.)

Everything keeps coming together. I loved that final scene, with McNulty deciding not to complicate her life and her realizing that. Each and every new actor they've brought on this year fits in.

This is the best show on TV, bar none.
Old 07-28-03, 09:23 AM

Each episode of this season gets better and better. I'm really enjoying this season(despite a slow start), even more than the first.

What was the deal with Ziggy and the duck?! I was expecting him to try to get the muscle guy back for leaving him on top of the cans- but it seemed to go nowhere! I was laughing, tho!

Bunk has become one of my favorite characters- he cracks me up!

Buck- I agree with you- I know my wife loves McNulty (ever since she saw him in Rock Star)!!
Old 07-28-03, 10:41 AM

Yeah,

I was bitting my nails all season waiting for Mcnulty to come back in the fold. Was that the Pogues he was listening to when he was driving home wasted?

Herc and his partner were priceless when they were looking for UC's for the cathouse, and then the look on everyones face when Mcnulty walked in the door, it was priceless.
Old 07-28-03, 11:03 AM

yeah- what's up with Herc and Carver?! I thought Carver learned his lesson last season- they're still skimming?!?!?
Old 07-28-03, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I was cracking up at the "Can't a brother run with the stick" line. For those who don't know lacrosse is basically a upperclass, all white sport.
Old 07-28-03, 01:12 PM

Bunk has definitely been the comedy relief this season!
Old 07-28-03, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by fahmad
Was that the Pogues he was listening to when he was driving home wasted?

Herc and his partner were priceless when they were looking for UC's for the cathouse, and then the look on everyones face when Mcnulty walked in the door, it was priceless.
I'm not positive, but that was who I thought it was when I was watching it, so I think it probably was.

"It takes a whore to catch a whore."

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.